Costs of living in Thailand

jonn1

Hi john1. Heres how I look at it. Do I go out to fancy restaurants everyday in the UK, no I don't, so chances are I wont in Thailand.

So that's a couple of thousand Baht not wasted daily.

Do I live in a palace in the Uk, no, so I need nothing other than a decent place to live in Thailand. I had a 1 bed 50 sq/m condo five minutes walk from Thonglor BTS last time I lived in Bangkok and will be moving back into the same block when I get back there later this year.

It was 20,000 Baht all in, so that includes water, electric and internet.

My main expense was going out for a beer of an evening. But I made a point of staying in 3 nights per week and not drinking during the day. I choose the expat pubs as I don't mind chatting to other Brits, Americans etc, unlike many on here who hate their fellow country men.

I found spending 5000 Baht a week hard work. If you want to you can, but that's not the lifestyle I live.

I found it very easy to live on 40,000 a month and I had about 100,000 a month coming in. There is no need to spend every penny you earn.

Once you find a routine you soon move out of the holiday mode and realize life isn't about how much money you can spend each month.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No two answers are going to be alike mate, acquaintance of ours, bought a condo in Chiang Mai, ended up hating the city life, so he locked it up and rented in Doi Saket - just outside CM.

3,500 per month - truly lovely 3brm house, freshly painted, air con (4),  great kitchen AND some furniture e.g.. Lounge, computer desk, king bed, stove, cupboards - he also moved some of his gear from his condo. Thing he loves, is his garden.

John rent, try to be flexible, there can be so many things that cause you to re-think in the early retirement years. The more flexible you remain, the more adaptable you will become

Finding things to fill your time - ours is so full, that some weeks we are overwhelmed. We neither drink nor smoke and own our home, so our expenses are very few, lots of months we have change from 10,000 Baht - lots of change.

I grind my coffee beans in the morning and brew a delicious coffee, sometimes my neighbours will drop by and join me (When they smell it:smile:) in a brew (I speak basic Thai) 

Having someone to share your life with, works for many people. We are newly-weds, having only been together 20 years and my eternal bride is still very beautiful.

Each morning we stand in front of our home and feed our Monks, done for years & years. I do because I want to and because, they give me more than I give them.

Once you integrate you will peel back layers, each layer is different, BUT, EVEN IF if all the layers were the same, each person would see it different.

If you can get your head around that, it will (I hope), help you find your way here.

You see, one cannot come here expecting a great retirement, amongst great people, until you "choose" to have a great retirement - human beings, which after all, Thais are, will "respond" to you! Your demeanour will often dictate their response.

I have posted less than 100 times in my 8/9 years or so as a member and do not share some of the negativity that so often manifests itself here. I hope that negativity does not affect you too. Conversely, there are some truly wonderful caring people here.

Good Luck mate - from an Aussie

1 hour ago, MalandLee said:

No two answers are going to be alike mate, acquaintance of ours, bought a condo in Chiang Mai, ended up hating the city life, so he locked it up and rented in Doi Saket - just outside CM.

3,500 per month - truly lovely 3brm house, freshly painted, air con (4),  great kitchen AND some furniture e.g.. Lounge, computer desk, king bed, stove, cupboards - he also moved some of his gear from his condo. Thing he loves, is his garden.

John rent, try to be flexible, there can be so many things that cause you to re-think in the early retirement years. The more flexible you remain, the more adaptable you will become

Finding things to fill your time - ours is so full, that some weeks we are overwhelmed. We neither drink nor smoke and own our home, so our expenses are very few, lots of months we have change from 10,000 Baht - lots of change.

I grind my coffee beans in the morning and brew a delicious coffee, sometimes my neighbours will drop by and join me (When they smell it:smile:) in a brew (I speak basic Thai) 

Having someone to share your life with, works for many people. We are newly-weds, having only been together 20 years and my eternal bride is still very beautiful.

Each morning we stand in front of our home and feed our Monks, done for years & years. I do because I want to and because, they give me more than I give them.

Once you integrate you will peel back layers, each layer is different, BUT, EVEN IF if all the layers were the same, each person would see it different.

If you can get your head around that, it will (I hope), help you find your way here.

You see, one cannot come here expecting a great retirement, amongst great people, until you "choose" to have a great retirement - human beings, which after all, Thais are, will "respond" to you! Your demeanour will often dictate their response.

I have posted less than 100 times in my 8/9 years or so as a member and do not share some of the negativity that so often manifests itself here. I hope that negativity does not affect you too. Conversely, there are some truly wonderful caring people here.

Good Luck mate - from an Aussie

Malandlee - thank you for taking your time to write this - you have obviously been blessed with the life you have built for yourselves - I tip my cap to you. It is pleasing to know some people have found contentment in moving to a new country and I am sure this will inspire me :smile: with thanks Jonn 

2 hours ago, berybert said:

Hi john1. Heres how I look at it. Do I go out to fancy restaurants everyday in the UK, no I don't, so chances are I wont in Thailand.

So that's a couple of thousand Baht not wasted daily.

Do I live in a palace in the Uk, no, so I need nothing other than a decent place to live in Thailand. I had a 1 bed 50 sq/m condo five minutes walk from Thonglor BTS last time I lived in Bangkok and will be moving back into the same block when I get back there later this year.

It was 20,000 Baht all in, so that includes water, electric and internet.

My main expense was going out for a beer of an evening. But I made a point of staying in 3 nights per week and not drinking during the day. I choose the expat pubs as I don't mind chatting to other Brits, Americans etc, unlike many on here who hate their fellow country men.

I found spending 5000 Baht a week hard work. If you want to you can, but that's not the lifestyle I live.

I found it very easy to live on 40,000 a month and I had about 100,000 a month coming in. There is no need to spend every penny you earn.

Once you find a routine you soon move out of the holiday mode and realize life isn't about how much money you can spend each month.

Bert many thanks - you make a lot of sense here :smile: Jonn 

No. This is wannabe hiso/stupid farang price.

Really depends what type of property and area. Some of the new apartments around emporium or Lumphini park are much higher. If you go to the less enviable parts of Silom and rent an older condo, u get value.
Depends what you want, like any city inc London

11 minutes ago, Cook my sock said:

Really depends what type of property and area. Some of the new apartments around emporium or Lumphini park are much higher. If you go to the less enviable parts of Silom and rent an older condo, u get value.
Depends what you want, like any city inc London

It really is nothing like London. Older apartments in London will cost just as much as the newer ones. The mansion buildings in the centre of London are over a hundred years old and I can assure you they are not coming down in price compared to new builds.

London and Bangkok are chalk and cheese.

11 hours ago, jonn1 said:

Malandlee - thank you for taking your time to write this - you have obviously been blessed with the life you have built for yourselves - I tip my cap to you. It is pleasing to know some people have found contentment in moving to a new country and I am sure this will inspire me :smile: with thanks Jonn 

Thanks John and again good luck mate.... Mal

On 12/31/2016 at 10:16 PM, Briggsy said:

Don't pay clueless farang prices.

Beware of Belgians, Nigerians and Indians that try to sell you anything.

" Don't pay clueless farang prices."

How would you advise a newbie to avoid paying farang prices if the price is not posted?

" Beware of Belgians, Nigerians and Indians that try to sell you anything."

Like another poster, I've also never heard of Belgians being put into a scammer category.

???

Hi, 

rent an apartment, one bedroom with a kitchen, living room, access to fitness and swimming pool at 7300 pr month, I pay 4000 for my room and I also have fitness and pool.

daily living, well, you can eat each meal for around 50thb, I don't, but you can.

i live about 20 minutes on a motorcycle from the beach. Nice quiet town... where?? Nakhornsrithammarat, that's it...

you can can also rent entire houses 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, for around 8000-10000 in new gated communities...

skip bangkok and tourist places ant Thailand can be cheap, but boring!

If you want to live in the country, lease some land an raise some of the food you need and a crop you can sell for more money.

Find an Issan Lady who knows how to farm and enjoy life !!

Good luck, if you are retired military you may be able to use your military health plan here, I am retired USAF they pay 75% of my medical cost.

Sorry OP (Jonn1), I haven't read more than the first few posts so if this has already been covered, please excuse me.

Before you make the jump, investigate the south of Portugal.

At retirement age, you can transfer your health care to another EU country.

Not sure how Brexit may change this though.

• Then there's also the south of Spain.
  • Both easy languages to learn and many free or cheap resources online.

You would be able to have rellies and mates pop over from time to time and it's only a short hop to go back to the UK.

No visas-re-entry permits-visa extensions-Arrival/departure forms, report to Immigration on arrival-no 90 day reports-no proof of income certificate from the embassy (costs almost 30 quid)-no need to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 3 months for annual retirement visa renewal.....

That you can never own land or a business or have a work permit if your status is retirement (even voluntary, unpaid work needs a WP).

Even with a WP there are hundreds of jobs reserved for Thai only!

But if you do choose Thailand, only marry a Thai with excellent reading/writing and knowledge of the UK skills, you will not be permitted to re-settle in the UK with her unless she passes all the English tests and you can prove an annual income of about 18,000 quid (currently).

Don't get caught with pot or any other controlled substance and, and, and

Read Thailand Fever and Private Dancer for a start.

Great to see someone doing some research before they jump!

So many seem to leave their brains on the plane and then get properly ripped off.....

I love you long time......

Good luck.

PS

I'm not trying to put you off, just to open your eyes.

There's much more for you to learn besides health care!

I'm a retired Brit, happily married to a Thai wife but we are both resident in Spain, staying there for at least 6 months/annum, necessary to maintain residency.

We spend about 5+ months in Thailand so she can visit her huge family.

Best of both worlds really, from end April to mid Nov in Spain, then Thailand, always summer LOL.

Cost of living wise. If you like a drink and good quality wine, cheaper in Spain than Thailand, from what I've read, slightly cheaper in Portugal.

Renting is cheaper in Thailand, but for somewhere nice, not too much cheaper. but I could easily rent on the coast for €300 or less / mth.

In Spain and Thailand, we do not live in a hugely touristy place, more expensive in those places. We hardly use a car in Spain, can walk to the beach etc. no beach near in Thailand.

Driving in Thailand is a fast way to get killed.

Thailand feels more dangerous to me than Spain, my wife agrees with this too.

2 years ago her youngest son (19) was murdered in Bangkok in one of those inter college gang fights.

We own property in Spain (ie, my Thai wife owns together with me, I cannot do that in Thailand and everything I have bought is in her name.

As a foreigner in Thailand, if I bring in the mony from overseas I am allowed to buy a condo.

Then one is stuck in the one place.  Had I not married, I would have rented both the accommodation and girls as necessary.....

Just sayin.

Edited by laislica
spelling (It's darl in ere LOL)

I think the problem that happens is that most people don't really live by a budget.  What they think they actually spend ends up being a lot more than that after the year. A monthly budget is only a fraction of a yearly budget because of the hidden costs of things.

you also have huge start up costs.

You will spend a minimum of 200k baht in your first month more if you want a car or other comforts. 

For all the morons spouting off 45k baht a month for an apartment, get realistic with the thread. The OP is talking about a budget of 50k baht a month. he is not looking for an upper class lifestyle. He is looking at a middle class simple existence.

My rule of thumb is that whatever you earn in your country for the year would be the equivalent of what you would spend to live here a month in baht.  Example if you earn 30k USD a year, you would comfortable live on 30k baht a month. If you earn 50k dollars a year, you would live on 50k baht a month. 

Have at least 1 million baht security for emergencies that you don't touch.  Try to save at least 10k baht a month from your current pension, because you will have health problems, accidents, need new clothes, etc at some point. If you spend 50k baht a month and that is all you have what happens when you need a little extra for emergencies.

There are many wonderful things to see and do that are free. There are bargains to be found and there are many people who will call you a cheap charlie for living humble.  Tell them to FOFF. Its easy online to brag how high brow you are, but really all people are just existing within their own budget. 

Good luck and always have an exit strategy.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:38 PM, sanemax said:

It costs 1200 Baht per day to live in Chiang mai

1500 Baht per day in Bangkok 

1700 Baht per day in Koh Samuii

1450 Baht per day in Pattaya

1550 Baht per day in Pukett

That's funny; Hatyai--which is cheaper than any of those places--costs me about B2,800 a day. So, as the OP said, it really depends upon how you want to live--or how cheaply you have to live

On 12/31/2016 at 5:42 PM, jonn1 said:

many thanks for your replies - it is appreciated - so it looks doable :smile:

thanks for the tips - I will look into further - as I say I have pretty basic needs but I need to look at health cover 

the big expenses here are booze, pussy and health cover, cut your cloth according to your pocket.

Edited by catman20

10 minutes ago, catman20 said:

the big expenses here are booze, pussy and health cover, cut your cloth according to your pocket.

Of which items the Healthcare will cost by far the most - potentially enough to send you back to your home country.

If you live in Chiang Mai you can probably do without a scooter, but Phuket you need something. If you want a Thai wife you need one with a house paid for and hopefully a job. Otherwise you will really be squeecking by. Remember, life is what happens to you while you are making plans. Good luck.

6 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Of which items the Healthcare will cost by far the most - potentially enough to send you back to your home country.

i pay 60,000 baht a year 5 million baht cover with out patients. i dont like paying granted but hardly going to send anyone back to their home land.

24 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i pay 60,000 baht a year 5 million baht cover with out patients. i dont like paying granted but hardly going to send anyone back to their home land.

I'd refer you to the discussion about Health insurance here...

and here...

On 31/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, sanemax said:

It costs 1200 Baht per day to live in Chiang mai

1500 Baht per day in Bangkok 

1700 Baht per day in Koh Samuii

1450 Baht per day in Pattaya

1550 Baht per day in Pukett

Not me, it doesn't. That's a hugely sweeping statement that takes no account of any number of variables.

9 minutes ago, TulipBulb said:

Not me, it doesn't. That's a hugely sweeping statement that takes no account of any number of variables.

That kinda was my point .

You can live comfortably , but basically for 15 000 Baht per month in a small village or you could spend twice that on one nights accommodation at a plush resort on Ko Samui and every other price range is somewhere those two extemes

On 31/12/2016 at 11:43 AM, jvs said:

I guess a lot of people ask that question before they come to Thailand,you can figure it all out before you move here.

Once you are here what are you going to do?Sit around all day?Nice for the first few months but the shine does wear

of fast.

Do you have hobbies?Fishing? Traveling?Golf? All cost money and you will need to find something to occupy

your time.

I have seen a lot of people turn slowly into alcoholics.

Thailand is a great country to stay imo but it is not for everyone.

Learn to say no and choose your friends carefully.

Post of the day. 

22 hours ago, Naam said:

not for everybody. according to that estimator i should be spending less than 20% what i actually spend.

I don't put much faith in those calculators. That said, that one was pretty much right on the money. Quite accurate.