Big Waves Spoil Launch of Pattaya-Hua Hin Ferry

rooster59

3 hours ago, licka said:

I saw a photo of its interior

I would say its a death trap

3 seats on one side then an aisle  then 7 seats

To bad if you have to get out quick I hope the glass breaks easily

Never mind the safety aspect, if it's packed out and your in the middle of those seats it's gonner be a mission trying to go for a pee.

560000000006202.jpeg

Image.jpeg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I heard you the first time, but the link I provided returns some 129,000 news stories from around the world relating to ferries which have been cancelled due to bad weather....in this case it was 4 metre waves and high winds.

I'm just wondering from where you expect the Thai government to conjure up a magic ferry which is impervious to bad weather?

Imagine all the Thai bashers on this forum frothing at the mouth if they had sent the ferry out into bad weather on her maiden voyage and there was some kind of accident with people dying?

1 minute ago, onthesoi said:

I heard you the first time, but the link I provided returns some 129,000 news stories from around the world relating to ferries which have been cancelled due to bad weather....in this case it was 4 metre waves and high winds.

I'm just wondering from where you expect the Thai government to conjure up a magic ferry which is impervious to bad weather?

Imagine all the Thai bashers on this forum frothing at the mouth if they had sent the ferry out into bad weather on her maiden voyage and there was some kind of accident with people dying?

I expect them to acquire a boat that can do the job.

I never said the journey should have taken place, i'm glad it didn't as the boat acquired is unfit for it's task.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

I expect them to acquire a boat that can do the job.

I never said the journey should have taken place, i'm glad it didn't as the boat acquired is unfit for it's task.

Yes, I know ..once more with feeling:

the link I provided returns some 129,000 news stories from around the world relating to ferries which have been cancelled due to bad weather....in this case it was 4 metre waves and high winds.

Just now, onthesoi said:

Yes, I know ..once more with feeling:

the link I provided returns some 129,000 news stories from around the world relating to ferries which have been cancelled due to bad weather....in this case it was 4 metre waves and high winds.

And once more with feeling [great placebo album]

Oh, why bother...read previous.

It is not much about safety,but about comfort.This is fast catamaran,they are in use

worldwide.This type of boat is very stable up to the point: on big wavee it falls into

back-front-back motion,which would make you sick or very sick.

I was in such ride from HK to Macao,safe but feeling awful,I did throw up,but I had enough.

HappyNewYear

5 hours ago, bruceamstutz said:

"Local marine official Ekkaraj Kantaro cited the sudden appearance of 4-meter high waves"........ 4 Meters high you mean they jumped from 1 meter and no one knew it was like that out in the gulf?.........LOL/555

'bruceamstutz': '...sudden appearance of 4-meter high waves...', that Mr. Ekkaraj and his staff don't even read TMD (Thai Meteorological Department) forecasts and warnings, it seems... So Thai (not even need any 'bashing', the media do the job, for who can read, at least)! It's not me, it's ... (fill in the dots), LOL. Thank any deity (so not the Lord Buddha, as He isn't one), the 'push-it-away-from-me', this time, happened before any harm was caused to others, the 'glass-half-full' theory could even make one think things are getting better here, ...but as this is only the second day of the year!

19 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Well yes beacuse to say unfit as you did implies unfit for the sea. The boat is perfectly adequate for the job where as the pier is not. If I was the company running this I would have amended the pier to suit.

'Deepinthailand': As you seem to be, very, well informed, could you, please, let us know which height of waves this 'Royal I' (and its sisterships) is considered safe to cross the Gulf on (I mean: 'over', being a catamaran, and surely not 'under', like one of those obsolete Chinese submarines the RTN, so much, wants to buy)?

When not, totally, 110%, safe at 3m.+, my guess is: forget it on the Gulf, as the weather conditions are quite, much, 'variable' on its waters!

Might be worth asking Lomprayah, as it 'looks like' the same 'kind of'(?) catamaran ferries is used, or are these the same ones, and, would, maybe, the Royal bla-bla company be Lomprayah's baby...? Do tell us, 'Deepinthailand', please!

seems the launch of the new ferry is not the only one to have problems. N Ireland recently

took delivery of a brand new Car Ferry costing £6 million looks great only 1 problem

the cars can get on but they cant get off

1 minute ago, oldgent said:

seems the launch of the new ferry is not the only one to have problems. N Ireland recently

took delivery of a brand new Car Ferry costing £6 million looks great only 1 problem

the cars can get on but they cant get off

'oldgent': Unbelievable! And that from, still, a British colony... 'Brittania rules the waves' et al! But, there were no 'cars', then, long ago... Shouldn't he old guy at the cars' exit simply be told to open the gate in due time, maybe he's one of the boys of the, late, Ian Paisley, and afraid to let any Catholic in into the Counties...

17 minutes ago, bangrak said:

'Deepinthailand': As you seem to be, very, well informed, could you, please, let us know which height of waves this 'Royal I' (and its sisterships) is considered safe to cross the Gulf on (I mean: 'over', being a catamaran, and surely not 'under', like one of those obsolete Chinese submarines the RTN, so much, wants to buy)?

When not, totally, 110%, safe at 3m.+, my guess is: forget it on the Gulf, as the weather conditions are quite, much, 'variable' on its waters!

Might be worth asking Lomprayah, as it 'looks like' the same 'kind of'(?) catamaran ferries is used, or are these the same ones, and, would, maybe, the Royal bla-bla company be Lomprayah's baby...? Do tell us, 'Deepinthailand', please!

Where did I say I was an expert I mearly said the pier was not fit for purpose do you belive the ship wold be put into service if not fit for purpose.. So please step down of your lofty perch trying to score little points.

Edited by Deepinthailand

Plenty of experts that can determine the weather, cause, expertise of navigation, 

engineering, planning and all else. Makes one wonder what they do for a living, besides know-all, see-all, tell-all.

For a number of years 'quick-cats' plied the notorious waters of Cook Straight between New Zealand's North and South Islands. These ships were plagued by bad weather cancellations, sick passengers, and massive overheads due to their thirsty engines (and environmental damage issues caused by their wake). Of course the smaller ferries suffered the most cancellations due to bad weather and went out of business quickly. Even the huge 98 meter wave piercing Incat 057 was apparently restricted to maximum 4 meter swells. On a good day the big cats were superb, a great way to travel; but in rough seas on a smaller cat, the constant pitching is very uncomfortable.

Obviously, and as others have stated, any vessel needs to be matched to the conditions, but ferries on routes throughout the world are cancelled due to bad weather, this is normal. Good on them for excercising caution, and an unfortunate start for this enterprise.

On 1/1/2017 at 10:21 AM, vadid said:

I wonder whether they will cancel so readily, once people have paid and they would have pay refunds?

That voyage was for free, first 100 people got a free ride, or in this case, didn't.

On 01/01/2017 at 4:21 PM, vadid said:

I wonder whether they will cancel so readily, once people have paid and they would have pay refunds?

So they didn't sail in acceptable weather conditions to save money, and/or might sail when in reality it is unfavourable weather to avoid refunds?

This was precisely why the ferry service which was there before folded up...it spent more time in moorings than actually sailing!I think the last one was financed by two Swiss guys...the problem was it became too unreliable due to the water conditions and they both did their money...hope this one succeeds but not a good omen to begin with!

11 hours ago, Benmart said:

Plenty of experts that can determine the weather, cause, expertise of navigation, 

engineering, planning and all else. Makes one wonder what they do for a living, besides know-all, see-all, tell-all.

most of those types i have encountered in los were doing nothing except fine-tuning their thai language skills:

baba-bobo, pam-pam, khrap, chang... :coffee1:

There is so much that could be done here to improve on the transportation network. The country is so overdependent on bus and minivan transportation, and the number of road deaths for these two forms of transport are scary, astonishing, desperately sad, and horrific. The rails are in great need of updating. A high speed rail between Hua Hin and Pattaya, and throughout the rest of the countries' main corridors is possible. It would require a great deal of investment, but is needed for future growth. The number of cars, trucks, buses and minivans on the highway seems to be increasing daily, and if something is not done to improve the system, there will be nothing but gridlock down the road. It is an opportunity for the greatest jawboner of all, Little P., to show that he really does care for his own people, and do something to benefit them. Moving Thailand forward? Anybody see any sign of that lately? 

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is so much that could be done here to improve on the transportation network. The country is so overdependent on bus and minivan transportation, and the number of road deaths for these two forms of transport are scary, astonishing, desperately sad, and horrific. The rails are in great need of updating. A high speed rail between Hua Hin and Pattaya, and throughout the rest of the countries' main corridors is possible. It would require a great deal of investment, but is needed for future growth. The number of cars, trucks, buses and minivans on the highway seems to be increasing daily, and if something is not done to improve the system, there will be nothing but gridlock down the road. It is an opportunity for the greatest jawboner of all, Little P., to show that he really does care for his own people, and do something to benefit them. Moving Thailand forward? Anybody see any sign of that lately? 

30 years ago a lot of this was explainable (to some extent) as Thailand was a developing country with little cash reserves!

Now, they are cash rich, have huge reserves yet still continue to do nothing! just look how the children are transported to school, livestock is moved in more humane and safer conditions!

So, I for one am not seeing Thailand moving forwards!  :shock1:

However, Mr Aekarat Kantharo, director of marine department, disapproved to launch the ferry due to strong wind and high wave. Although the official disallowed to set sail to Hua-Hin, they sailed around Koh Lan island for the test. The official guarantees the safety of the ferry even though the ferry has been shaken by the wave a bit.

Previously, the operator failed in initial trial after they couldn’t dock at Hua-Hin jetty and the captain had to dock at Hua Don pier 10 kilometres away. As a result, they wasted around 2 hours in this case.

In addition, the ferry has refuelling problem that it needs to float out dock for refuelling. Meanwhile, internet users also comment about safety of the ferry and too high fare.

Pattaya Daily News.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:20 PM, Lipboy said:

Monsoon Season - December to January? (see Kopitiam post). Really? I go to Thailand (Pattaya and Hua Hin) each February and the weather is calm, dry and hot. I thought "the rainy season" was in August, September and October? 

I intended using this ferry on 11th February? 

The article says nothing about rain.

22 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Never mind the safety aspect, if it's packed out and your in the middle of those seats it's gonner be a mission trying to go for a pee.

560000000006202.jpeg

Image.jpeg

Could it maybe be just because someone failed to specify safety belts for the Royal 1's seats...?