Three burnt to death as Benz explodes in Chachoengsao

webfact

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these cars and trucks that catch fire are powered by LPG. They should ban LPG in Thailand and let them use NGV which will not explode or catch fire when involed in an accident

What a load of Hog Wash Barry. NGV is not a type of gas, it was an image branding way back in the day when everyone was being encouraged to use alternatives to petrol. NGV means Natural Gas Vehicle. Whichever gas in a vehicle = Boom!!!!!!!!

46 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

It's a sin to hold a wire against minus to see if there's a spark, especially when this car's running on gas. A little leak could do the trick. 

It's easy to smell a fuel or gasleak...any real mechanic can do that. And for gas it won't explode maybe only give a flame untill the gas is burned. Also a gasleak freezes itself closed with ice.

If you hold a plus wire against the chassis there's a big chance the fuse will blow. If you do it with the thick batterycable you'll sure see sparks, a new battery can even explode from that.

5 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

All these cars and trucks that catch fire are powered by LPG. They should ban LPG in Thailand and let them use NGV which will not explode or catch fire when involed in an accident

Have you never seen a Hollywood movie…every car that crashes bursts into flames.

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

LPG is safer than petroleum, provided it is installed and maintained correctly.

the only reason to ban its use here is because of the high likelihood of illegal or cheap installations. 

Australia turned to LPG in a big way, years ago, with government sponsored installations of conversion kits.... no problems.... 

if this vehicle was in a nasty accident, its more likely that spilt petrol from a ruptured tank, was to blame.... if it were LPG, I would have expected the boot to have blown off the rear end.

If you click on the link from where the story came from you can see it was involved in one hell of a collision, can't read the Thai text though! Hell of a way to die RIP.

Edited by maxcorrigan

On 02/01/2017 at 11:23 PM, barryofthailand said:

Does LPG stands for Liquified petrolum gas?  And NGV what does it stands for? So if I am in Thailand in a taxi with LPG tank in the boot(back of car) and another car bang from behind would cause the tank to explode? The only consolation would be the money my family save from the cremation. It's like an Auto-cremation free of charge.

19 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

If you click on the link from where the story came from you can see it was involved in one hell of a collision, can't read the Thai text though! Hell of a way to die RIP.

Other sources say it skidded off the road into the central reservation where it hit a tree and caught fire. Three men and two women were inside. One of the men - the driver, and the two women were unable to be pulled out and died in the car. The remaining two men were rescued from the car and taken to hospital, however one has since died. Let's hope the remaining survivor recovers, and RIP to those killed.

11 minutes ago, madusa said:

Does LPG stands for Liquified petrolum gas?  And NGV what does it stands for? So if I am in Thailand in a taxi with LPG tank in the boot(back of car) and another car bang from behind would cause the tank to explode? The only consolation would be the money my family save from the cremation. It's like an Auto-cremation free of charge.

The tank won't explode but if the pipeline breaks the gas will be spitting out since it's under pressure and liquid.

That's why European cars have the safety valves which should close,  one is on the tank, one is on the other end of the gasline at the engine side. When the motor stops running the valves have to close automatic but in Thailand not all cars have electric valves.

NGV is natural gas which is from new installations (in new cars that is) but what taxi's use i don't know since it's weird they have the inletnipple under the bonnet, that's very illegal in Europe.

In Europe every year a qualified carengineer has to sniff the whole gasinstallation for leaks with a sniffermeter. And if ANY hose has minor cracks it has to be replaced for a qualified brand new hose with the date printed on it.

But in thailand the chance you get in a caraccident is much higher ...also the tank has to be mounted with very special material from certain thickness so it can never fly out of it's place. I doubt they use that here.

A worn out evaporator can also spit gas straight into the engine without any control and sure that's very dangerous. Taxidrivers maintain their own cars along the road, i've even see them open gearboxes and fix them right next to the road under a tree.

I've also been in taxi's who lost their brakes suddenly or who's engine fell out while on the highway..he opened the bonnet, did something there and off we went...for 3 minutes and it happened again...then i left the taxi for another one.

On 03/01/2017 at 5:50 AM, fruitman said:

The tank won't explode but if the pipeline breaks the gas will be spitting out since it's under pressure and liquid.

That's why European cars have the safety valves which should close,  one is on the tank, one is on the other end of the gasline at the engine side. When the motor stops running the valves have to close automatic but in Thailand not all cars have electric valves.

NGV is natural gas which is from new installations (in new cars that is) but what taxi's use i don't know since it's weird they have the inletnipple under the bonnet, that's very illegal in Europe.

In Europe every year a qualified carengineer has to sniff the whole gasinstallation for leaks with a sniffermeter. And if ANY hose has minor cracks it has to be replaced for a qualified brand new hose with the date printed on it.

But in thailand the chance you get in a caraccident is much higher ...also the tank has to be mounted with very special material from certain thickness so it can never fly out of it's place. I doubt they use that here.

A worn out evaporator can also spit gas straight into the engine without any control and sure that's very dangerous. Taxidrivers maintain their own cars along the road, i've even see them open gearboxes and fix them right next to the road under a tree.

I've also been in taxi's who lost their brakes suddenly or who's engine fell out while on the highway..he opened the bonnet, did something there and off we went...for 3 minutes and it happened again...then i left the taxi for another one.

Yes, I have been on long distance buses and seen the driver and the young assistance repairing the bus when something went wrong they just stopped and passengers went to get some foods and drinks nearby. The bus was repaired and we continued with the journey. I thought that was amazing. That would never happened in my country.

7 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

Bull$#!t, Completely Bull$#!t what you're saying.

It has everything to do with the the amount of maximum filling. In Europe LPG and NGV tanks have a maximum filling of 80% !!!
Both gasses can explode, what else do you think what's happening inside the cylinder ???
I've studied motor engineering and have a master on liquified pressured gasses, LPG and NGV since 1988 !!!

7 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

Nothing wrong wit LPG. Its probably the installation by unqualified persons that causes the problem. I had LPG in Australia for years as did many others, don't recall any problems there.

9 minutes ago, FredNL said:

Bull$#!t, Completely Bull$#!t what you're saying.

It has everything to do with the the amount of maximum filling. In Europe LPG and NGV tanks have a maximum filling of 80% !!!
Both gasses can explode, what else do you think what's happening inside the cylinder ???
I've studied motor engineering and have a master on liquified pressured gasses, LPG and NGV since 1988 !!!

This is not Europe Fred, and when you studied about LPG there were still the old rules in NL with manual valves probably.

5 hours ago, lostinisaan said:

I almost bought a W 123 14 years ago in Chonburi from a foreigner. But then I saw the modifications and decided not to go for it. The original Benz Diesel ( very reliable) was replaced with a Toyota Benzin engine, running on LPG, including the modification of gear box, etc. A real piece of crap. 

Only looking at how the mechanics had put the <deleted>' together, I decided to go for a pick up from my wife's uncle, a Mitsubishi L 200 Strada with the 2.8 l engine and all original which is still in service and looks, but also drives like a  brand new one. 

In more civilized countries are safety standards, but it's difficult to find a Thai who knows how to write safety. Our son is currently in his 3rd year studying electronics, but he can't even put a connector on a coaxial cable.

He drilled both phases together, good luck that I watched him. I knew how to do that when I was 12. It's finally all the bad education and the loss of face that so many people have to die.

A real test for van drivers should be mandatory. How can you drive a van with 17 people when you're colorblind? 

The problem is the not existing education that has to be changed in all aspects and starting from the top. Many rolling heads would be necessary to see a change. 

If the educators don't know anything about what they are teaching how should the new generation pick things up that are "common sense" for us?

Probably the only hope for Thailand is for students to study these fields  overseas, then return and try to pass on their good knowledge. However on second thoughts, i guess it did not do Abishit much good did it as he slipped back into Thai practice rather comfortably.

4 hours ago, louse1953 said:

TVF members never cease to amaze.No mention of LPG.Then some speculation in the 1st post and by post 15 and 16,Thais have no common sense for using LPG and a shutoff valve failed on the mythical tank.

Indeed.

I didn't go through the whole thread, but where is the proof that an S280 owner has done an LPG or CNG conversion?

Owners of such cars usually do not belong to those who have to save on fuel cost, particularly in Thailand where you could buy a decent home for the price of such a car. An S280 is in the highest tax/import rate class (over 2.4l).

And doing this on an S280 would make me cry :glare:

But... who knows :wacko:

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

I didn't go through the whole thread, but where is the proof that an S280 owner has done an LPG or CNG conversion?

Owner of such cars usually do not belong to those who have to save on fuel cost.

Then they should buy a new one. The ones with old cars are cheapskates as well.

But there is no proof...but LPG tanks older than 10 years can't be used in the West (which is an old rule and probably replaced already). I doubt Thailand has similar rules if any rules at all about CNG and LPG...Also i wonder if taxi's ever get checked for safety? And i mean real checks at checkpoints on the road so they can't change parts from another taxi for only during the check.

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Other sources say it skidded off the road into the central reservation where it hit a tree and caught fire

That is what you find in misc. Thai sources.

And still not the slightest indication about gas conversion.

4 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Not here.

Reading this subject, i am of the opinion that very few of the posters have ever had LPG in their vehicle, as most of the remarks are completely ignorant, and show little knowledge of LPG driven vehicles.

Edited by oldsailor35
not finished

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

A gasoline driven car also has fuelhoses which have to be replaced every x years...if they have cracks from drying out they have to be replaced asap. My neighbour came home with his just bought used car which was dripping fuel....the hose was so bad we even couldn't close it by squeezing it, it fell in pieces appart.

There are many more parts on an engine which can catch fire, good maintenance prevents that. For that you need an educated qualified engineer who doesn't speak the maipenlai-language or won't accept cash in hand to shut up.

This year we had the police checking the safety of cars...strange cause i guess they don't have any education to do that.....And i bet they even don't dare to tell a Benz-driver that his car is unsafe...after all it's a Benz.

REF ID 30 .     Are you Thai or American ?

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

It's very common to hold a wire to the chassis because that's the ground of a car...Also the electric valves get their ground from the chassis.

But the nipples (inlet) for gas should be as far as possible away from the exhaust, especially close to the engine and that's where taxi's have their nipple.

Also there are many rules (in europe) for the inlethose....it's a rubber hose which has to have the date of manufacturing printed on it and can't be older than 3? years before first use...the inletnipple has to be covered in a rubbersleeve which has a whole to the outside of the car incase the hose is leaking at the nipple....The electric valves have to close automatic within 3 seconds if the engine is not running. and so on, i know all the rules cause i built many cars on LPG and let the governmental agency check it officially or i was not allowed to use it.

But i agree in Thailand they just do something, safe or not who cares. On the technical schools they learn how to use a machete...while driving a motocy.....

Rules in Europe regarding LPG are pretty slack then. If you tried to install your own LPG system and then took it the govt agency to check in Australia, you would be in deep poo!   This can only be done by a licensed fully trained  LPG conversion mechanic.

3 hours ago, Jim walker said:

Bangers older than 5 years should not be allowed on the Thai roads time the soldier boys spring into action so that only new and safe cars allowed on the roads would do away with the brake failure excuse for hundreds of deaths each year, and any cars over 3 years should be strictly tested and certified by a competent garage who would be held liable for the roadworthiness of a tested and approved vehicle and open to a legal claim if involved in an accident caused by vehicle failure rather than driver error / stupidity .  

"Legal claim"  in Thailand !    Have you just arrived.

54 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Probably the only hope for Thailand is for students to study these fields  overseas, then return and try to pass on their good knowledge. However on second thoughts, i guess it did not do Abishit much good did it as he slipped back into Thai practice rather comfortably.

I personally believe that he didn't have enough time to change anything in this totally corrupted environment that's also called Land of Smiles. Too many enemies gave him no chance to do anything.

A powerless minister is as good as no minister. But is the good general any better? I doubt it. 

Too many dead foreigners never show up in any statistics, but you can't make such accidents away in a time where almost everybody has got a mobile phone with a cam.

Otherwise, you might not even hear of such tragic occurrences. 

It's not good for Thailand's reputation. What kind of reputation does the country really have when you think about Thailand's capital city and the obviously not allowed prostitution? 

Isn't a Thai massage automatically connected to sex for most people around the globe? 

Many years ago in Europe, people did realize that a simple car mechanic wouldn't be good enough to fix high-tech cars and a new occupation was created called mechatronic. 

If you go to a garage like Bosch in Europe, they know how to find a problem. In Thailand, they're only fixing things that you can drive for an hour/ day/ week. But it's seldom done properly. 

I'm sure that only a few mechanics here even understand how to read a trouble code, then find out what's wrong. But you don't get this software from a shop at Phantip/Bkk.

Thailand has to go a long way and sorry for saying it again. It's the education that's causing the most problems plus the .loss of face, where students from grade one to grade 12 are not allowed to ask their teachers any questions?

Isn't asking questions what a real teacher wants from his/her students? If it's a higher grade and the teacher doesn't know the answer it would be easy to look it up and answer the question a few seconds later.

This, on the other hand, is an unwritten law by the MoE and it's like believing in ghosts who jump on the road and causing accidents. Thainess was created to show how special they are, but they aren't. 

There's no loss of face, it's sometimes just an excuse for being stupid, or let's say a little bit uneducated. The citizens of the other nine ASEAN member countries don't lose face which might explain why their language skills are much better. 

Please ask a high school teacher where Texas is, or anything similar. I was asking a few neighbors all of them teachers if there'd be beaches in Sri Lanka, but all of them said no.

Only when I pointed out that Sri Lanka is an island a few said oh yes there gotta be beaches somewhere. Sorry, for going off. My apologies. 

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed.

Owners of such cars usually do not belong to those who have to save on fuel cost, particularly in Thailand where you could buy a decent home for the price of such a car. An S280 is in the highest tax/import rate class (over 2.4l).

And doing this on an S280 would make me cry :glare:

But... who knows :wacko:

Sorry, I'm afraid to make you cry. I saw three  280's in my time in Isaan with Japanese engines and gas powered. An ex-colleague at a school had a 500 SEL with the same old <deleted>".  

3 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

But this guy would at least get the education sorted out and hopefully send all the Admirals and Generals on a long journey in a Russian submarine from 1926..

He seems to be a really bright guy and if he'd have the chance....here we go again..would/could but...hmmm if/ maybe. Good night. 

3 hours ago, madusa said:

LPG stands for "Liquified petrolum gas", made out of oil, while CNG stands for "Compressed natural gas", made out of natural gas. But you often see the (brand-)sign "NGV", wich means "Natural Gas Vehicle", meaning a car running on CNG. Using CNG is cheaper per km than using LPG (as it is here in Europe), that's why all the BKK-Tuktuks, Toyota Taxis, Toyota Commuters in other provinces, many trucks and even the ferry to Koh Chang run on CNG. But the modification of enginge/car/tank is AFAIK more expensive.

2943965478_yf7x98WZ_Truck-IMG_0582.JPG

10 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

All??? Are you claiming that there is no mafia in LOS?

11 hours ago, farcanell said:

LPG is safer than petroleum, provided it is installed and maintained correctly.

the only reason to ban its use here is because of the high likelihood of illegal or cheap installations. 

Australia turned to LPG in a big way, years ago, with government sponsored installations of conversion kits.... no problems.... 

if this vehicle was in a nasty accident, its more likely that spilt petrol from a ruptured tank, was to blame.... if it were LPG, I would have expected the boot to have blown off the rear end.

I don't like LPG conversions because unless I am outdated in my information, you have to stop frequently for refills.