367 people die in road accidents in first five days

webfact

367 people die in road accidents in first five days

140_7days.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation today released the latest figures of traffic fatalities showing a total of 367 people were killed and 3,342 injured in the first five days of the weeklong "No Drunk Driving" campaign.

Only yesterday which was the fifth day of the campaign, there were a total of 445 traffic accidents on highways and roads across the country.

A total of 87 people died and 465 were injured.

Drunk driving is blamed as cause of most fatal accidents.

In total, the department said 367 were killed, and 3,342 were injured in the first five days of the week-long campaign to stop drunk driving.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/367-people-die-road-accidents-first-five-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-03

The big question is , are these numbers much different from normal if so by how much and with increase of vehicles being much higher than outside of holidays is there any real increase . With an increase of both vehicles and inexperienced drivers the road accident and death toll will never be fewer , only higher .

Most of the dead were drunk then, how do you breathalize a drunk or perhaps it was all the empty whiskey bottles in the back, that must be it!

If the police  catch people over the limit they should take the vehicles off them and crush them, perhaps then they would learn! Problem is if they are purchased on the drip hmmm, make them still pay the balance, fine them, ban them from driving and show them the inside of the chokey for a period.....................get serious with these dickheads or nothing changes...............ok nothing changes car sales would plummet.

Also keep it in mind that the 'dead' statistic only applies if they are dead on the road, and doesn't allow for later deaths in hospital. The true figure is probably at least 50% (probably more) higher than the 367 stated.

Not the most intelligent bit of PR for Thailand, really, but what's new. I wonder how much longer it will take for this to sink in, and for the officials to suddenly go all quiet . . . 

Edited by robsamui

I've seen at least 10 of those tents with police along the roads and NONE held an alcoholtest....:shock1:

And at ONLY  one tent i've seen policemen standing outside, the rest was all inside the tent busy with computers.

Edited by fruitman

52 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Thai people no care why Farang care?

Because Farang come here as tourists and have to put up with stupid idiot drivers who drive like this. Now if Thailand does not want tourists just tell the rest of the world not to bring their money and spend it here and help the economy thus keeping Thailand alive sorry just about functioning.

But we would like to know why Thais do not care about how their families and friends die. You only live once, yes just once. so please do try and care

A jumbo jet full of people in just a few days. Don't worry, the 'dangerous days' will soon be over, then Thai roads will be 'safe' again, which is the whole point of highlighting just two hazardous periods during the year. All part of the national brainwashing, and turning your back on problems which need to be addressed, but nobody either has the will, or can even be bothered. Indifference and apathy of an entire nation. 

Congratulations Thailand and PM Prayut for achieving a 10%+ improvement on last year's fatality record.

Ever so sadly you have dismally excelled yourselves.

After all the recent sanctimonious and pompous road safety verbiage from the autocracy there is little left to say.

According to WHO estimates 24,237 were killed on the roads in 2012. An increase of more than 42 percent over Public Health Ministry figures as those figures were based on deaths at the scene. This gives an average of 66 per deaths per day in 2012. Assuming that neither driving skills nor road conditions have improved appreciably over the past 4 years,  we should be able to make a reasonable estimate as to what that means in 2016.  If one factors in under reporting of PHM and use the 42 percent difference used by WHO, we are realistically looking at approximately 514 deaths or 102 per day over the 5 day holiday.  Thus, there is really only a 35 percent difference between holiday periods and the rest of the year.  

This is really scary. The way the press and government mouthpieces talk up the figures during these periods is just plain wrong. Thailand's roads are dangerous year round.   

The wife had to travel to her home village yesterday in a mini bus.  I called her about an hour after she left Morchit, she said the driver drove like an idiot!   I was glad when she called from home to say she arrived.

1 minute ago, BSJ said:

The wife had to travel to her home village yesterday in a mini bus.  I called her about an hour after she left Morchit, she said the driver drove like an idiot!   I was glad when she called from home to say she arrived.

Yes? And did any passengers give him hell or did they just smile like stupid?

Thai people no care, why farang care? 

2 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

It's a gradual culling of the dumb. Might take a while, judging by the endless supply of mindless behaviour that goes on.

No dumber than some falangs on this forum who keep insisting that Thailand is a perfectly safe place to drive a car.

17 hours ago, nong38 said:

Most of the dead were drunk then, how do you breathalize a drunk or perhaps it was all the empty whiskey bottles in the back, that must be it!

If the police  catch people over the limit they should take the vehicles off them and crush them, perhaps then they would learn! Problem is if they are purchased on the drip hmmm, make them still pay the balance, fine them, ban them from driving and show them the inside of the chokey for a period.....................get serious with these dickheads or nothing changes...............ok nothing changes car sales would plummet.

How do you fine the poor even though they seem to find the money to pay for petrol and car repayments and if you ever have been to any of the Thai prisons where would you fit all these offenders. Just asking as making offenders clean up the street garbage would really curb the driving problems. Sorry that is a joke as children in Thailand are taught by their elders to avoid rubbish bins. Woops sorry I just couldn't help that last remark but my best Thai friend is a master at avoiding rubbish bins. In over 20 years I've never seen him use one.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No dumber than some falangs on this forum who keep insisting that Thailand is a perfectly safe place to drive a car.

I agree with you, but I am going to shock you and many other posters by saying that I have ridden and driven through the busiest roads in Bangkok, quite a few times, the full length of Sukhumvit Road in both directions, all the main roads leading to and from Victory Monument, etc,etc, and you know what, I have never been cut up, by any riders or drivers, or had any near misses, having to brake because of people coming out in front of me, but I cannot say that about the many towns and cities in Thailand.

21 hours ago, keith101 said:

The big question is , are these numbers much different from normal if so by how much and with increase of vehicles being much higher than outside of holidays is there any real increase . With an increase of both vehicles and inexperienced drivers the road accident and death toll will never be fewer , only higher .

Its the one time of the year that traffic law observance is really pushed. Its the flavor of the day. Will be interesting sadly to hear the final stats. Down 5% hardly up 5% only if your lucky.