Police suspect van driver might have temporarily fallen asleep while driving in Chonburi province

webfact

A min van or pick up these days with more powerful drive trains are capable of very high speeds,

however the cost to manufacturers to upgrade to efficient braking systems to compensate is 

to them prohibitive. (It does help if the driver stays awake though)

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

There was a comment on a local television channel that the minivan driver was on his 5th round-trip within a 30-hour period. Video of him having water and coffee at an undetermined 'pit stop'.

The minivans are a largely unregulated industry with no discernible government oversight. The greedy driver can blame the greedy owner for forcing him to drive extra hours but  at the same time, the greedy owner benefits from the greedy driver who denies his physical limitations. I am pretty sure that the Ministry of Transport does have some sort of bureaucratic paper trail where anyone can buy a second-hand minivan (or two) and operate an inter-provincial bus service. I assume that this also requires some form of registration fee before a license is issued. I guess it ALL comes down to greed.

How can you say the driver was greedy? We don't know if he was coerced or he volunteered to drive so much in his last two days. On another TV thread a driver refused to drive his vehicle any further and abandoned his passengers. He had reached the end of his physical limits. His employer sacked him. Either way, these guys are not likely to be high earners; the temptation to risk it should not arise for employers or employees.