Chelsea football fans convicted of racist violence on Paris metro

webfact

Chelsea football fans convicted of racist violence on Paris metro

Alasdair Sandford

606x341_353958.jpg

PARIS: -- Four Chelsea football followers have been convicted of racist violence in Paris after a black commuter was abused on the metro two years ago.

Souleymane Sylla was pushed and prevented from boarding the carriage as fans chanted “we’re racist, we’re racist, and that’s the way we like it”.

The episode happened two years ago before Chelsea played a Champions League match in the French capital.

It was caught on CCTV film which was used as evidence, along with video taken by another British passenger which was “published by the Guardian’:https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2015/feb/17/chelsea-fans-prevent-black-man-boarding-paris-metro-video.

After the verdict the victim, a 35-year-old salesman, said: “I feel a sense of justice. Justice has been done. I thank my lawyer, and all the campaign groups.”

Reminded by a journalist that the accused had denied it was a racist act, Sylla replied: “That’s what he says. Everyone knows what happened. No need to repeat it.”

“We are very happy. Justice has been done, and it’s good that we are finally recognising in this country today quite simply that racist chants can be punished,” added Sylla’s lawyer Jim Michel-Gabriel.

James Fairbairn, 25, had denied racism but was given a six-month suspended sentence. Josh Parsons, also present in court, received eight months suspended. His lawyer had complained of “media hysteria”.

Two other men tried in their absence – Richard Barklie and William Simpson – got 12-month suspended sentences.

After the incident a UK court banned the men from football for up to five years; Chelsea condemned the behaviour and excluded their followers for life.

The prosecutor said the trial was a defining moment in anti-racism cases and a “clear-cut example” of racism.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-04

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Suspended sentence. Translation: they all got off without any punishment at all.

They were also made to pay him 10 000 Euros and they were banned for life from attending anymore football matches

Seems that there is stupidity in numbers *for some* (I believe most footie fans are good blokes and wouldn't do something like this). Everyone knows by now that filming devices are now everywhere and will record any illegal behavior.

How can one of the defendants claim "it wasn't racism" while chanting those words and engaging in the worst kind of racism under the circumstances? What other "secret ingredient" is necessary in his mind to make it "real racism"? This insanity of his attribution of some kind of 'reverse political correctness (or incorrectness)' is just mind boggling.

Good to see the outcome of their actions but am wondering how Chelsea will enforce the bans.

We need more contrarians who will show some spine and have the courage to speak up against harm-causing group-actions such as this one.

Edited by mrdome
added a line after watching YT clip

A better lawyer might have made the case that they were 'defending their cultural values'. That's now a valid case as those values are demonstrably under threat by the volume of immigration. Few would condone the crassness of their approach, but it could be maintained, at least in mitigation, that they were making a meaningful contribution to their own heritage.

21 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

A better lawyer might have made the case that they were 'defending their cultural values'. That's now a valid case as those values are demonstrably under threat by the volume of immigration. Few would condone the crassness of their approach, but it could be maintained, at least in mitigation, that they were making a meaningful contribution to their own heritage.

I take it your not a lawyer.

22 hours ago, mrdome said:

How can one of the defendants claim "it wasn't racism" while chanting those words and engaging in the worst kind of racism under the circumstances? What other "secret ingredient" is necessary in his mind to make it "real racism"? This insanity of his attribution of some kind of 'reverse political correctness (or incorrectness)' is just mind boggling.

Football fans do generally get obnoxious after a few beers and its quite a hostile tribal atmosphere in the crowds  and the name of the game is to antagonise the opposition team and supporters .

Chelsea have a long list of black players who are adored by the fans , Guilett, Desailly, Makelele, Drogba  .

So, the songs were just banter and it wasnt meant literally or as a statement , saying that, it wasnt very pleasant and it has no place in football, let alone on public transport 

22 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

You sound like you actually believe this and are not kidding.

Do you honestly equate any person of color with '(white) values under threat'?

23 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

I'm just surprised the lawyer didn't use Trump's defense:

"it was just locker room talk"

2 hours ago, mrdome said:

You sound like you actually believe this and are not kidding.

Do you honestly equate any person of color with '(white) values under threat'?

I was referring to cultural values being under threat by an inundation of brazen opportunists from unrelated cultures of any race or colour - in the UK, there's plenty of evidence of that, and it's not at all a black vs white thing.

Fact is though, there are degrees of cultural relatedness, and presumably those Chelsea supporters identify blacks as particularly unrelated - I suspect not at all for reasons of colour, but a reflection of the undeniable fact that African nations are inferior in terms of social organisation - a value which the British at least hold highly.

Let me know if I've said anything so far that's not empirically obvious.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

I was referring to cultural values being under threat by an inundation of brazen opportunists from unrelated cultures of any race or colour - in the UK, there's plenty of evidence of that, and it's not at all a black vs white thing.

Fact is though, there are degrees of cultural relatedness, and presumably those Chelsea supporters identify blacks as particularly unrelated - I suspect not at all for reasons of colour, but a reflection of the undeniable fact that African nations are inferior in terms of social organisation - a value which the British at least hold highly.

Jeering football fans from the UK have a hugely admired social organisation , and why most European countries despise them I cannot understand.

It's like those Russians who beat up England fans during  Euro 2016 and so demonstrated an even more finely-tuned defense of their threatened cultural values than the English could muster. Yet some people just couldn't see it and seemed to think it was mindless racist thuggery!!

British so-called "football hooligans"  will one day be seen as protectors of the cultural values of England, like Shakespeare, Alan Bennett, and Stephen Fry, and pushing a black bloke off a train because he's black will one day be seen as a blow for cultural preservation rather than just stupid bigoted aggression.

Oh when will that day come?  

On 1/4/2017 at 9:51 AM, ddavidovsky said:

Rubbish.  Unless being ignorant bullies is  a "culture". That's a stretch, but then there is a culture of sneaky bigotry as  demonstrated on Thai Visa. There heritage was what? The offspring of inbred  losers?

34 minutes ago, partington said:

Jeering football fans from the UK have a hugely admired social organisation , and why most European countries despise them I cannot understand.

It's like those Russians who beat up England fans during  Euro 2016 and so demonstrated an even more finely-tuned defense of their threatened cultural values than the English could muster. Yet some people just couldn't see it and seemed to think it was mindless racist thuggery!!

British so-called "football hooligans"  will one day be seen as protectors of the cultural values of England, like Shakespeare, Alan Bennett, and Stephen Fry, and pushing a black bloke off a train because he's black will one day be seen as a blow for cultural preservation rather than just stupid bigoted aggression.

Oh when will that day come?  

The day you have the courage to  go up to a black man and tell him how much you hate him., and the day you  gather round your friends and family and tell them how much you hate black people, and the day you are in hospital and you tell the black nurse  who is caring for you how much you hate her for being black.

Your cowardly bigotry is pathetic.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Organized enough to rid themselves of colonial occupation.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The day you have the courage to  go up to a black man and tell him how much you hate him., and the day you  gather round your friends and family and tell them how much you hate black people, and the day you are in hospital and you tell the black nurse  who is caring for you how much you hate her for being black.

Your cowardly bigotry is pathetic.

I am really surprised by my clearly ludicrous nonsense intended to take the piss out of racist idiots being taken seriously.

However just to make it clear: what I wrote  was ludicrous nonsense trying to take the piss out of complete racist idiots .

Just to be clear: I do not give a shit about "white culture", and don't believe there is such a thing.

I think those Chelsea fans should be in jail for at least a year, and that people who think they are admirable have something ethically, intellectually  or emotionally wrong with them

8 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

The victim was born and raised in France with a family of three children and employed. His family originates from a French colonial country. Your attempts to justify racism are based upon a false premise.. The convicted were in a foreign country and should have conformed to the law of France, not  project their racist ideology on French citizens.

Thanks to some of my fellow posters, it's good to see that a sense of justice and fairness has prevailed. Some of the other responses were quite disturbing.

Do keep in mind: If you have to explain your intentions in a follow up post that's just as long or even longer than your original one, you didn't do a good enough job conveying your meaning(s).