Had it with "farangitized" food

BudRight

You think you've found it - the restaurant only has menus in Thai, it's filled with Thai people enjoying their spicy favorites, you sit down and order off the menu, they bring you the food.

And it's farangitized. White "green" curies, bland fried rice, tom yam with no chilies and waiter serving it with a beaming smile, satisfied they've accommodated their notions that you can only eat food that tastes like shit.

I get it. They got one guy the same race as you a while back and he choked and gagged on the lime pork salad. Now anyone who looks like him comes and special orders go out to make it taste like cardboard.

And if somehow you got decent food for once, you get that one smart-ass asking if you if it's spicy.

I wish people who couldn't eat Thai food would stop trying to order it - it's ruining my dining experience and I'm tired of combing the boonies looking for places that Westerners clearly never eat.

Edited by BudRight

Dunno, never experienced this. Occasionally the cook or waiter will ask 'gin pet mai?' or something like that. 'chai, gin pet' reply. My Thai is pretty poor at the moment but talk to the waiter and explain.

I live right out in the sticks, farming country on Chon Buri/Chachengsao border. Only 1 or 2 others farangs for miles and miles but can't see this being a problem unless loads of farang about. Get the missus to explain to them.

Perhaps if you knew how to order, you might not fell so superior to other foreigners.Guess what you are.  Learn how to order in Thai and be specific in what you want.

Perhaps if you stopped ordering only western popular thai dishes like green curry and tom yum, you might be satisfied.  Go off and explore, I am certain you will find good food that is up to your notion of what thai food should be.

Stop blaming others for your shortcomings. Sounds like you are another poster that feels he is the special foreigner and deserves to be treated like a thai even though you are the same as every other foreigner here. 

Pompous is the only word that can describe your post

21 hours ago, zeichen said:

Perhaps if you knew how to order, you might not fell so superior to other foreigners.Guess what you are.  Learn how to order in Thai and be specific in what you want.

Perhaps if you stopped ordering only western popular thai dishes like green curry and tom yum, you might be satisfied.  Go off and explore, I am certain you will find good food that is up to your notion of what thai food should be.

Stop blaming others for your shortcomings. Sounds like you are another poster that feels he is the special foreigner and deserves to be treated like a thai even though you are the same as every other foreigner here. 

I'm actually saying that I don't want to be treated special - I want to get the same slop as the kid sitting next to me. That's it.

You're basically telling me that I'm a piece of shit because I'm a Westerner and I don't deserve the same thing as any other person.

The idea that people should be treated differently based on race has a special word in the English language. It starts with an R.

Edited by BudRight

20 hours ago, balo said:

Tell them u want spicy in Thai , how hard can it be ? 

Don't you think I've tried that? It's dangerous - I want normal food, not hot-by-Thai-standards food. I actually used to do this and it backfired. I got so many chilies I don't think an Isaan farmer could have eaten it.

Besides, I don't want to have to give an intricate description of how many chilies to add to the sauce in crispy morning glory salad or remind them to use the them at all (the dried ones) in the chicken with cashew nuts, three times a day.

Edited by BudRight

I just think that you blaming other foreigners makes you sound arrogant.  I personally have never been fed a meal that was any different than everyone else I was eating with. As for your green curry, you do realize that they make it in large batches not individual right? So you get curries the same spiciness as everyone else. You could ask for my chilis, but it is pretty set day by day of who cooks it.

I think the problems you experience are because of yourself, not the local Thais cooking your food or other foreigners tourists that you believe are ruining Thai food's nature. 

I am certain if you get out of tourist areas, and order in Thai and at the very least build a relationship with the local restaurants you will get the food the way you want it.

By the way my father in law doesn't like spicy food and he is Thai. So not all Thais eat things spicy either. 

Just be polite if it isn't spicy enough. Learn how to communicate fully. Not just spicy and not spicy. Be able to communicate will get exactly what you desire.

1 hour ago, BudRight said:

I'm actually saying that I don't want to be treated special - I want to get the same slop as the kid sitting next to me.

You kind of for the nail on the head here. I think they are trying to please and give you what they think you want. They are not being racist in my experience.

If you've asked for and got spicy then that's how it is, normal Thai food. Just because you think it would be too hot for an Isaan farmer doesn't mean you're right.

Where do you live?

2 hours ago, BudRight said:

Don't you think I've tried that? It's dangerous - I want normal food, not hot-by-Thai-standards food. I actually used to do this and it backfired. I got so many chilies I don't think an Isaan farmer could have eaten it.

Besides, I don't want to have to give an intricate description of how many chilies to add to the sauce in crispy morning glory salad or remind them to use the them at all (the dried ones) in the chicken with cashew nuts, three times a day.

Whoa. What a coincidence. At a local hotel in Hua Hin, I once ordered chicken with cashew nuts/please add dried chilies and was kinda stunned when the lady taking my order asked me: 2? 4? 8? to which I quickly replied, "Huh?" And then she said: how many chilies 2, 4 or 8? I was kind of amazed, having ordered that dish, in Thai, at least 35 times over the years. and never had anyone asked me to work so closely with the chef! So, anyway, I don't really mind asking for prik tod, and to tell the truth... that hotel chicken was one of my all-time favorites.

16 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:

Whoa. What a coincidence. At a local hotel in Hua Hin, I once ordered chicken with cashew nuts/please add dried chilies and was kinda stunned when the lady taking my order asked me: 2? 4? 8? to which I quickly replied, "Huh?" And then she said: how many chilies 2, 4 or 8? I was kind of amazed, having ordered that dish, in Thai, at least 35 times over the years. and never had anyone asked me to work so closely with the chef! So, anyway, I don't really mind asking for prik tod, and to tell the truth... that hotel chicken was one of my all-time favorites.

So how many did you go for?

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's also the possibility that eating real Thai food has burnt out your taste buds and nothing will ever taste right ever again.

There's a possible new topic starting here on Thai vs Farang food.

I left UK late 2015. Used to suffer from piles (I think - really itchy bottom and occasional blood spots).

Since being here no bread, no red meat, very little milk, lots of veg, chillies, garlic, etc all cleared up.

Missus very occasionally cooks chips, egg and beans  (with chip butties) - next day, itchy bum.

Maybe too much information, sorry :-)

All true though.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

I left UK late 2015. Used to suffer from piles (I think - really itchy bottom and occasional blood spots).

Since being here no bread, no red meat, very little milk, lots of veg, chillies, garlic, etc all cleared up.

Missus very occasionally cooks chips, egg and beans  (with chip butties) - next day, itchy bum.

All true though.

Sorry, but yes... maybe a weeeeeeee bit too much information.

12 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:

I'm an 8 chili man, man.

Reminds me of watching Rick Stein in Thailand.

Some lady cooking tom yum  and he says 'arghh she's put 43 chillies in that'

Was a really big pot of soup.

Whimp.

I think the OP has a point,just came across a bit strong.

At my local eating place near work if i order the Mince Pork and Basil when alone it always comes with a normal amount of spice and is bloody tasty. If i bring a visiting colleague from overseas she has never seen and he has the same, it is always bland. 

Also had the same problem when asking in Thai for extra spicy....be careful what you wish for 

I just think that you blaming other foreigners makes you sound arrogant.  I personally have never been fed a meal that was any different than everyone else I was eating with. As for your green curry, you do realize that they make it in large batches not individual right? So you get curries the same spiciness as everyone else. You could ask for my chilis, but it is pretty set day by day of who cooks it.

I think the problems you experience are because of yourself, not the local Thais cooking your food or other foreigners tourists that you believe are ruining Thai food's nature. 

I am certain if you get out of tourist areas, and order in Thai and at the very least build a relationship with the local restaurants you will get the food the way you want it.

By the way my father in law doesn't like spicy food and he is Thai. So not all Thais eat things spicy either. 

Just be polite if it isn't spicy enough. Learn how to communicate fully. Not just spicy and not spicy. Be able to communicate will get exactly what you desire.
No they can customize green curry. Duh!

All true though.

Do you use the chips as a suppository?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:56 AM, zeichen said:

Rest assured Tom Yum is not just a western favorite. In deep Isaan this is still a favorite.

It must be soooooo difficult for Thai restaurant owners to know what style green curry you want (spicy/non spicy/a little spicy more than western standard/ less spicy than Thai standard)  there is no standard, some are good some are bad. 

As or cooking curries in batches I don't think they do most just use a packet paste with a bit of coconut milk add you meat and veg the curry can be cooked to order within minutes using a wok.

Back to the itchy bum......

Also it is not so unusual here or in western culture to request personal preferences. My Thai wife does it. "Mai pet mak!" "Suk suk!" etc. How do you want your steak? Your eggs? I'm glad that we can have a chance to eat it our way or I'd have to give up most Thai dishes. If I eat it With 6 chilies instead of 2, my acid re-flux makes me regret it. Ask for what you want. Then eat it anyway while the kitchen staff is having a good laugh. I've lately, AFTER it is served and in front of me, asked if they please did not spit on it. In Thai. That gets a laugh.