Forensic police step in to probe Patong hotel fire

webfact

Forensic police step in to probe Patong hotel fire

Yutthawat Lekmak

1483517471_3546-org.jpg

The downstairs level, where much of the construction equipment was being stored, was destroyed by the fire. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police have declined to confirm or deny any possible cause for the major fire that broke out at the Beyond Patong hotel under construction in Patong on Monday night (Jan 2), sending plumes of black smoke billowing into the sky and forcing authorities to close the beach road.

Forensic Police inspected the scene this morning, Maj Teerasak Boonsang, the Patong Police officer leading the investigation, told The Phuket News today (Jan 4).

“They inspected the building and gathered evidence,” he said. “We expect them to take about one month before announcing their conclusions as to what they believe started the fire.”

Maj Teerasak confirmed that the contractor had told police that no work was being carried out at the time the fire started.

Asked whether police believe a short circuit started the fire, Maj Teersak said, “At this stage I cannot comment on any possible cause of the fire as the case is still under investigation.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/forensic-police-step-in-to-probe-patong-hotel-fire-60482.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-04

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Asked whether police believe a short circuit started the fire, Maj Teersak said, “At this stage I cannot comment on any possible cause of the fire as the case is still under investigation.”

Given Maj Teersak's comments and given the previous actions of the RTP, I have my doubts that he is a real policeman.

I can save them a lot of time.  They will conclude that the fire was started by an electrical short.

The contractor had told police that no work was being carried out at the time the fire started.

Most likely, the contractor wasn't getting paid, the developer had sucked all the loan money from the bank, and this was headed to abandonment and foreclosure, like most developments in Thailand.  Those electrical shorts are sure good for collecting insurance proceeds.

Asked whether police believe a short circuit started the fire, Maj Teersak said, “At this stage I cannot comment on any possible cause of the fire as the case is still under investigation.” Once we find a good scapegoat then we will reveal the real source of the fire and make the forensic evidence fit the profile.

On ‎04‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, webfact said:

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/forensic-police-step-in-to-probe-patong-hotel-fire-60482.php

Definately doing a proper job, he would have made an educated guess within minutes otherwise