What's a good dog for Bangkok

KDee

On 1/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, Oxx said:

Italian greyhound.

On 1/9/2017 at 11:38 AM, Oxx said:

Italian greyhounds are a small breed, reaching 3.6 – 5 kg.  That said, some sources suggest that regular greyhounds are also good indoors.

On 1/9/2017 at 11:48 AM, zorro1 said:

I know but isn't that like keeping a race horse in the back yard. They are both bred and built for speed.

I know a lady OS Who has 3 IG and they are lovely dogs

A friend of mine had an Italian greyhound - incredibly sweet but also extremely nervous, I suspect that was his personality though which resulted in an exaggerated breed characteristic.

I have a whippet and know that he misses his brother v badly as they love to play chasing games - and other dogs get bored with the chasing game v quickly as they cannot keep up with them, plus they're timid animals easily frightened when even slightly bigger dogs play 'rough'.

In short, although the IG/whippet/greyhound breeds love to spend most of their time curled up on the sofa - they also need to be able to run flat-out to satisfy their breed instinct, and I'm not sure this is possible in Bangkok?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having been a greyhound trainer/owner for over 20yrs.they must have plenty of space.

dont forget they are racing dogs through and through and they love to race,when they do retire yes there's nothing better than curling up on the settee with a big fat ice cream.

2 minutes ago, meatboy said:

when they do retire yes there's nothing better than curling up on the settee with a big fat ice cream.

Assuming, of course, they haven't been put down by their owners when they can no longer race, which is all too common.

2 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Assuming, of course, they haven't been put down by their owners when they can no longer race, which is all too common.

there is a bad side to dog racing,mostly on the licenced tracks.

i put a dog on one in sheffield and bristol but soon took them off.

i raced in yorkshire just about every track up there and all the independant tracks the owners looked after them well.

myself i am against anyone who thinks a dog can look after itself,they are no different to me or you THEY NEED COMPANY.

11 minutes ago, meatboy said:

having been a greyhound trainer/owner for over 20yrs.they must have plenty of space.

dont forget they are racing dogs through and through and they love to race,when they do retire yes there's nothing better than curling up on the settee with a big fat ice cream.

I was posting about pet Italian greyhounds/whippets and greyhounds - who love to curl up on the sofa most of the time.

IGs and whippets (not sure about greyhounds) dont' IMO need plenty of space in the home - but I agree that they also need to run flat-out every/most days to satisfy their breed instinct.

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I was posting about pet Italian greyhounds/whippets and greyhounds - who love to curl up on the sofa most of the time.

IGs and whippets (not sure about greyhounds) dont' IMO need plenty of space in the home - but I agree that they also need to run flat-out every/most days to satisfy their breed instinct.

HI DICK sunday morning wippet racing at whitwood and asken it was great to see them chasing that rag.

17 minutes ago, meatboy said:

there is a bad side to dog racing,mostly on the licenced tracks.

i put a dog on one in sheffield and bristol but soon took them off.

i raced in yorkshire just about every track up there and all the independant tracks the owners looked after them well.

myself i am against anyone who thinks a dog can look after itself,they are no different to me or you THEY NEED COMPANY.

My grandfather owned a racing greyhound, and when the dog was retired my parents hoped to be able to adopt the dog (Piggy, short for Pygmalion Sprinter IIRC - weird that I remember this after around 4 decades!) , so took him home on a trial basis.

Unfortunately, the neighbour's cat came into our garden and Piggy killed the cat and my parents decided not to keep him - so he was euthanised.....  Unsuprisingly, I've had a poor opinion of those who race greyhounds ever since as sight hounds are hunters by nature - so stand little chance of being adopted once they're 'retired' as they've been encouraged to chase smaller prey  :sad:.

Edit - Present company obviously excepted as you obviously adore your dog.  Hopefully you loved your greyhounds just as much.

Edited by dick dasterdly