a True rant

watcharacters

Its funny how arrogant native English speakers often are wanting everyone to understand and speak their language. 

Its great to see how they often start to speak louder and louder (as if its a volume issue not a comprehension issue) when someone does not understand them.

Those that live here should at least speak a bit of Thai. Can't expect the world to speak English. 

12 hours ago, fruitman said:

My Samsung doubledoor fridge has a big sticker on the side, it says "Samsung Privilige Service, 5 years warranty"...and i even paid them extra for longer warranty...then there's a load of phonenumbers which don't work at all. One works and NOBODY speaks english there.

Great service for expats, i 'll buy another Samsung when needed, NOT.

Are you really so daft to think Samsung america can speak Thai? They are not Europeans who speak loads of languages at a servicedesk..

"Are you really so daft to think Samsung america can speak Thai? They are not Europeans who speak loads of languages at a servicedesk.."

say what?!?!

What ive noticed with friends who visit in thailand, and colleagues whom ive worked with overseas (generally older guys) that when they speak english with locals, they tend to do so with full on accent, slang, speak fast and then look bewildered when said local doesn't understand. 

If you cant (be bothered to) learn thai, then be sure to speak slowly,  clearly, use good pronunciation anduse basic words with a neutral accent. You'll go far

Edited by jonw8uk

Learning to speak even the most basic Thai can fix so many problems. Do Not feel bad. I have been trying to deal with a phone company in the states about a bill for over a month now. Every time i call i get a different answer. I think this is six times now. The last time they told me the overcharge would be refunded. Now nearly a week and nothing. I have spent almost more money on trying to fix the problem calling America than the overcharge itself. Guess i have to fly back to America to the home office to fix the problem. So if you think companies are bad in Thailand sometimes the service can be just as bad in America.

On 1/6/2017 at 6:18 AM, kenk24 said:

When she gave you the number the first time - and that was not effective, she probably figured that giving it a 2nd time would not help either, so she put you on hold until she could hopefully find someone to communicate with you... when you are in another culture, lack of communication can go beyond just the words. 

Can you imagine a Thai person trying to get information on the line in USA if they don't speak English? 

Getting put on hold can be annoying anywhere... 

Let's make your point more realistic.  

What about a  Spanish speaking person calling a business number in the states?

On 1/6/2017 at 1:01 AM, jeab1980 said:

What rubish I wee here rant c8s internet  not work then aboutMcDonalds beacuse stupid girl not understand.  LISTEN this is Thailand people so not have to learn English if you can't learn Thai your problem  not ours. About time you English speakers learnt your not the god of language get real you live in my country learn to speak my language. If not don't complain when people not understand you. Pathetic is the word I belive  come to my country and expect everybody to understand you but you make no time to learn out language .should be like uk says to live here you must speak our  language.

I can only wonder if you are a Thai  but nevertheless I hope you realize as an Asean member,  Thailand is expected as a member  country to have an English proficiency at least in the business world.

Hello?

P.S.   My post was regarding a MAJOR communication company and internet provider.   Of course there would be minimal Anglish capabilities.   It is Thailand afterall.

Edited by watcharacters

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I can only wonder if you are a Thai  but nevertheless I hope you realize as an Asean member,  Thailand is expected as a member  country to have an English proficiency at least in the business world.

Hello?

P.S.   My post was regarding a MAJOR communication company and internet provider.   Of course there would be minimal Anglish capabilities.   It is Thailand afterall.

Just accept its Thailand people with good English skills are not going to waste their talent to sit at a helpdesk for little money. Same like expecting someone at Mc Donalds to speak good English. If he or she could she would not be working there.

That is the reality of living here, i have come to accept this and am happy for ANY English spoken and accept that I am the problem not the company I chose to live in a country where English is bad. Can't expect them to change on my account.

But more interesting did you get the issue resolved ? Was the number correct ? Because as i stated both true and skype messed up.. then its likely an other problem.

(must say the 3bb broadband has good english speaking staff.. however when it goes to a technician then the english is gone and that again is understandable)

Edited by robblok

On Friday, January 06, 2017 at 7:58 PM, robblok said:

Its funny how arrogant native English speakers often are wanting everyone to understand and speak their language. 

Its great to see how they often start to speak louder and louder (as if its a volume issue not a comprehension issue) when someone does not understand them.

Those that live here should at least speak a bit of Thai. Can't expect the world to speak English. 

Well its not that arrogant the only accepted language in shipping, airlines and medicine is English. Worked on ships around the planet my whole life the only accepted language on the bridge is English. I think some that live here are very naive in Thinking Thais should speak English as the level of spoken English is terrible to say the least but to live in a country and not have a basic conversational grasp of that language is lunacy IMO. Having said that though generally speaking the international language of commerce, business, banking and the other industries I have mentioned will continue to be English. No arrogance in that just fact.

1 minute ago, starky said:

Well its not that arrogant the only accepted language in shipping, airlines and medicine is English. Worked on ships around the planet my whole life the only accepted language on the bridge is English. I think some that live here are very naive in Thinking Thais should speak English as the level of spoken English is terrible to say the least but to live in a country and not have a basic conversational grasp of that language is lunacy IMO. Having said that though generally speaking the international language of commerce, business, banking and the other industries I have mentioned will continue to be English. No arrogance in that just fact.

Your right, but in Thailand and other parts of Asia the level is low. I know English is important but to assume and get angry if its not used is crazy. Especially people at the lower jobs are not good in English (and Higher ones too). Its just the way it is over here. Then getting angry or annoyed that the level of education is not good enough is not fair.

I have often seen how English speakers go crazy when they are not understood like its a god given right (of course this is not everyone). People who speak multiple languages are often more forgiving because they understand the effort it takes to speak other languages. I feel that anyone living here that does not speak sufficient Thai (me included I can hold my own but was totally lost on the phone last time with a Thai internet technician) should not complain because they themselves should invest time to learnt he language or have others help them. Its just how it is here. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Your right, but in Thailand and other parts of Asia the level is low. I know English is important but to assume and get angry if its not used is crazy. Especially people at the lower jobs are not good in English (and Higher ones too). Its just the way it is over here. Then getting angry or annoyed that the level of education is not good enough is not fair.

I have often seen how English speakers go crazy when they are not understood like its a god given right (of course this is not everyone). People who speak multiple languages are often more forgiving because they understand the effort it takes to speak other languages. I feel that anyone living here that does not speak sufficient Thai (me included I can hold my own but was totally lost on the phone last time with a Thai internet technician) should not complain because they themselves should invest time to learnt he language or have others help them. Its just how it is here. 

100 %  correct. I have many European friends who speak multiple languages and they are by far the most tolerant of people that struggle in languages not their own. The biggest whingers here are people who only speak English and yet rant when some people are only proficient in their native language. The old colonial attitude coming into play master gets angry when the savages cant understand the mother tongue :)

On 1/5/2017 at 0:17 PM, SaintLouisBlues said:

Standard Operating Procedure for every new hire everywhere in the world - stick them on the help desk where they're learn all the problems customers have

SLB, you may have personal experience with your claim but  I can assure you this is  not a universal practice.

It would be patently absurd for a company to put  a neophyte as their first face of the company to a customer.

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just accept its Thailand people with good English skills are not going to waste their talent to sit at a helpdesk for little money. Same like expecting someone at Mc Donalds to speak good English. If he or she could she would not be working there.

That is the reality of living here, i have come to accept this and am happy for ANY English spoken and accept that I am the problem not the company I chose to live in a country where English is bad. Can't expect them to change on my account.

But more interesting did you get the issue resolved ? Was the number correct ? Because as i stated both true and skype messed up.. then its likely an other problem.

(must say the 3bb broadband has good english speaking staff.. however when it goes to a technician then the english is gone and that again is understandable)

I wonder if you, as with other members who have replied,  read that I posted the same experience holds  true for my Missus who I'm confident speaks better Thai than any member posting here.

I exclude from that claim  the poster  who said  Thailand is his country.

Please take a moment to reread the OP.

9 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I wonder if you, as with other members who have replied,  read that I posted the same experience holds  true for my Missus who I'm confident speaks better Thai than any member posting here.

I exclude from that claim  the poster  who said  Thailand is his country.

Please take a moment to reread the OP.

Did you read what I asked.. did you get it resolved ?. I was only commenting on your anger about their English speaking skills.

I am sure that your Missus speaks good Thai and that True could be a bad company (never used them)  I was only going after your rant about the language part.  

On 1/7/2017 at 7:19 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Learning to speak even the most basic Thai can fix so many problems. Do Not feel bad. I have been trying to deal with a phone company in the states about a bill for over a month now. Every time i call i get a different answer. I think this is six times now. The last time they told me the overcharge would be refunded. Now nearly a week and nothing. I have spent almost more money on trying to fix the problem calling America than the overcharge itself. Guess i have to fly back to America to the home office to fix the problem. So if you think companies are bad in Thailand sometimes the service can be just as bad in America.

No kidding mitkof. I had an issue with Verizon. They said I still owed money after I went to the store and paid off in full before I left. Here is what is really sad, I call the Verizon acct services and guess what. You are not calling anyone in America, I called the Philippines and got some polite girl on the phone who kept saying my name but had no way to fix the issue,. Next was transfer to supervisor who said Sorry I will have to go to the store I bought my phones. I just laughed and hung up. Phone services suck ass all over the world.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did you read what I asked.. did you get it resolved ?. I was only commenting on your anger about their English speaking skills.

I am sure that your Missus speaks good Thai and that True could be a bad company (never used them)  I was only going after your rant about the language part.  

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Robblok,   I may have spoken about the lack of language skills among  Thai people but  I would appreciate a quote  from you or any  other poster when making such a claim.  

Again, we are talking about a multi,  multi billion baht telecommunications/internet  company that is a member of Asean.    True  has an English language feature on the voice menu.        And yes English is spoken by them.    Their English does not lend itself to any  kind of knowledge of the most basic parts of their company's  features or operation.

My rant had  not to do with English language proficiency but  rather with inefficiency in general with Thai customer support and especially one that is a major communication/internet provider.

Once again for all the posters who attack my lack of Thai speaking ability, you clearly fail to read that my Missus has the same difficulties getting an answer from customer support.   

The delays nearly make me think the customer  service reps must have to leave their desks and go to a different building  to look up any answer  in a bank of filing cabinets and come back and next say "please hold".

I hope the poster kenk24 who asked about foreign language if one called  a help desk in the USA will reply to my response.

10 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Robblok,   I may have spoken about the lack of language skills among  Thai people but  I would appreciate a quote  from you or any  other poster when making such a claim.  

Again, we are talking about a multi,  multi billion baht telecommunications/internet  company that is a member of Asean.    True  has an English language feature on the voice menu.        And yes English is spoken by them.    Their English does not lend itself to any  kind of knowledge of the most basic parts of their company's  features or operation.

My rant had  not to do with English language proficiency but  rather with inefficiency in general with Thai customer support and especially one that is a major communication/internet provider.

Once again for all the posters who attack my lack of Thai speaking ability, you clearly fail to read that my Missus has the same difficulties getting an answer from customer support.   

The delays nearly make me think the customer  service reps must have to leave their desks and go to a different building  to look up any answer  in a bank of filing cabinets and come back and next say "please hold".

I hope the poster kenk24 who asked about foreign language if one called  a help desk in the USA will reply to my response.

I must have misunderstood because I thought the gist was the lack of English and costumer service. You went on about how many English speakers there so I thought English language support was important for you. 

As for your claim about Asean and it being a multi multi billion company your right.. But they have to employ Thais who are not known for their English skills. Given that we English speaking people are just a minor really minor contributing factor to their customer base. If we are 5% its much, so why does it make economic sense to put an expensive (yes good English speakers are expensive because they are rare and often to highly qualified to just put on a phone service) employee on a small market segment. While for their bigger segment.. Thais they can have cheaper people... just makes no economic sense. 

And I can answer for Ken.. you seriously are not going to compare the amount of Spanish speakers in the US with the amount of English speakers in Thailand..... 

http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/us-has-more-spanish-speakers-than-spain/

Edited by robblok

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

OK.   Here is the answer Robblok.

That evening at 7 P.M. I got a call from a lady at True.    She established the nature of my concern and then asked me what number I dialed.      I told her I dialed 006 1 415 XXX XXX

I got the answer then.    She explained if I call the USA I should not use an area code.   She said only dial the number digits after I dial the country code.    I fully confirmed this from her and  will say when I asked "do I only dial the 7 digits after the country code? she replied she was not certain as to how many digits the USA has in its phone numbers.

As an aside, within the country,  the USA has had what's called an eleven (11)  digit numbering system for approximately 20 years.   That includes our dear friends from Canada. and scads of other countries in the hemisphere.

Her English was absolutely fine but her  skill knowledge pertaining to her company  ranks a  complete zero.

Her answer was so egregiously incorrect that she should go back to training if True has any training at all.     (questionable)

4 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

OK.   Here is the answer Robblok.

That evening at 7 P.M. I got a call from a lady at True.    She established the nature of my concern and then asked me what number I dialed.      I told her I dialed 006 1 415 XXX XXX

I got the answer then.    She explained if I call the USA I should not use an area code.   She said only dial the number digits after I dial the country code.    I fully confirmed this from her and  will say when I asked "do I only dial the 7 digits after the country code? she replied she was not certain as to how many digits the USA has in its phone numbers.

As an aside, within the country,  the USA has had what's called an eleven (11)  digit numbering system for approximately 20 years.   That includes our dear friends from Canada. and scads of other countries in the hemisphere.

Her English was absolutely fine but her  skill knowledge pertaining to her company  ranks a  complete zero.

Her answer was so egregiously incorrect that she should go back to training if True has any training at all.     (questionable)

laughable reply of that lady, wonder if she would do the same if she called Thailand from abroad. Though when I call to the Netherlands I have to drop a zero from the area code.  so if it normally was 0229-54xxxxx i would have to cal 0031 229-54xxxx    0031 (dutch country code)

Reason why i was curious was because you had problems at 2 fronts skype and true.

Edited by robblok

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

I must have misunderstood because I thought the gist was the lack of English and costumer service. You went on about how many English speakers there so I thought English language support was important for you. 

As for your claim about Asean and it being a multi multi billion company your right.. But they have to employ Thais who are not known for their English skills. Given that we English speaking people are just a minor really minor contributing factor to their customer base. If we are 5% its much, so why does it make economic sense to put an expensive (yes good English speakers are expensive because they are rare and often to highly qualified to just put on a phone service) employee on a small market segment. While for their bigger segment.. Thais they can have cheaper people... just makes no economic sense. 

And I can answer for Ken.. you seriously are not going to compare the amount of Spanish speakers in the US with the amount of English speakers in Thailand..... 

http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/us-has-more-spanish-speakers-than-spain/

Of course I won't try to make that comparison  about Ken..'s post, but I will say as  a country,  intelligent people  in Thailand  surely know the only way to  commonly speak in the  business world is English.   Like it or not, that's  just the way it is.

I guarantee some day (not in my lifetime) the country will catch on.      They will have to in order to succeed.

Just now, watcharacters said:

Of course I won't try to make that comparison  about Ken..'s post, but I will say as  a country,  intelligent people  in Thailand  surely know the only way to  commonly speak in the  business world is English.   Like it or not, that's  just the way it is.

I guarantee some day (not in my lifetime) the country will catch on.      They will have to in order to succeed.

I am probably younger than you and I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. So I just accept it the way it is if I dont like it I can move. 

40 minutes ago, JAFO said:

No kidding mitkof. I had an issue with Verizon. They said I still owed money after I went to the store and paid off in full before I left. Here is what is really sad, I call the Verizon acct services and guess what. You are not calling anyone in America, I called the Philippines and got some polite girl on the phone who kept saying my name but had no way to fix the issue,. Next was transfer to supervisor who said Sorry I will have to go to the store I bought my phones. I just laughed and hung up. Phone services suck ass all over the world.

Next to car and insurance salesmen, I think cable and phone companies rank at the lowest on the ladder of   appreciation  and respect.  

I'll only add that for years and years I subscribed to Pacific Bell Phone Company and never once had a complaint.   

I even surprised a P G & E supervisor once when I said I'd like to extend a compliment to one of his  subordinates.    He told me he'd never had such a call.        I informed him that will  no  longer be the case.    The rep did a great job and i wanted to pass on my positive feelings to the boss of the rep.

I know for a fact companies (not all)  in the USA take note of calls such as that.     I frequently extended such calls  when I lived in the USA.   It took not a great effort but it conveyed my honest feeling.   

Edited by watcharacters

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

I am probably younger than you and I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. So I just accept it the way it is if I dont like it I can move. 

Great answer while not addressing all the points I made but that's OK.

You  may be younger than me but  that's  a fact that cant' be changed.  

Thank you that you declined to be a part of the TV brigade that relishes saying  "if you don't like it, go back to your home country".   Those people  are IMHO such complete morons as to beyond understanding.

P.S.    I believe but I'm  not sure Thailand is under an obligation as a part of the Asean accords to achieve a certain  English  language proficiency.      Can that be confirmed or denied?     I think it's in the best interest of Thailand to get  a better degree of proficiency

But again my post was  not about  English proficiency but rather the failure of a major company to provide helpful support.     True fails my Missus as quickly  (slowly) as it does me.   

Maybe better training is in order.

26 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Next to car and insurance salesmen, I think cable and phone companies rank at the lowest on the ladder of   appreciation  and respect.  

I'll only add that for years and years I subscribed to Pacific Bell Phone Company and never once had a complaint.   

I even surprised a P G & E supervisor once when I said I'd like to extend a compliment to one of his  subordinates.    He told me he'd never had such a call.        I informed him that will  no  longer be the case.    The rep did a great job and i wanted to pass on my positive feelings to the boss of the rep.

I know for a fact companies (not all)  in the USA take note of calls such as that.     I frequently extended such calls  when I lived in the USA.   It took not a great effort but it conveyed my honest feeling.   

My wife has had numerous issues in the past with DTAC customer service.  I hear her complaining to the rep on the phone.

As for the US. They have outsourced all customer service activities because it's cheaper and they don't really care if you like it or not.  Once in a contract what will you do. You can't walk away because the customer service is bad so they train people in the Philippines and India to field your calls. Most Banks are off shored customer service as well unless you are a premium client.  I personally dread calling any US business for a customer service related issues.   I know it will entail talking to some person for 15 minutes that really can't address the issue.  

In my home country (France) almost all customer service hotlines have been outsourced to Maghreb countries, mostly Tunisia and Morocco because many people supposedly speak French there. Well, at least they think they do. Besides answering with pseudo French first names that sound ridiculous considering their strong accent, communication is often next to impossible.

And this includes the hotlines I call from my job for maintenance calls made through very costly 24x7 contracts on critical computer equipment.

Not only this, but these people run the show now. E.g. HPE (HP Enterprise, the arm of Hewlett-Packard that sells servers to businesses) have their level 2 support there too, meaning that even if you manage to talk to one of the few remaining local engineers, their hands are tied and they can only do what "the guys from the other side of the Mediterranean" allow them to do. Incredible.

I've wasted days struggling on the phone with these folks up to the point of having racist thoughts, which I was quite ashamed of  :saai:

Well, it seems that even Tunisia or Morocco is too expensive now and the latest trend seems to be moving the call centers down to central Africa. Last time I've called for a problem on an ADSL like, the guy whom I was talking to was in Burkina Faso...