a True rant

watcharacters

Please don't read this if you get upset by any criticism of Thailand businesses or their practices.

Yeah it's just a rant.     I'd arranged to call a friend when he'd be home and did so on Skype which failed and then on my True sim which also failed.     Skype said no "routes were found" but the  True message said the number is incorrect.       I am certain of the number as my friend verified it recently after a failed Skype call.

I'd dialed  006 then the country code of 1 followed by the area code then the number    i.e.    0061 415 XXX XXXX

I next did what i don't enjoy doing.      Since the Missus was sleeping, I called True myself at 1331.   

First off there was no voice menu at all.    Just a message in Thai and a lady answering in Thai.        I said I speak English and she proceeded immediately to  give me a number in English.      I asked her to repeat it please as I didn't instantly have a pencil or paper in front of me.    I  honestly didn't think I'd need one.

Now she says "one moment please,   I'll put you on hold"      I merely wanted the number she gave me   repeated but I ended up on hold.    I'll never figure that one out.

Finally another lady comes on and clarifies I would like to ask about an international call.      She then  asked me to wait as she put me on hold again.      

Then she comes back and apologizes that her  mobile agent is busy and it'd be necessary to call me back.     "Is that OK"?   I had little choice so I said sure, please call me back.       She then added if no one calls me back it'd be OK if I called True back at 1331 to follow up.

I asked her how many mobile agents they have and she said there are about 4 or 5 of them that speak English.

The call    Truely wasted 9 minutes of my life.

Rant over.  (but not really  until I can establish if there's a glitch in calling California)

I know it probably won't be popular with you, but....

Your in a foreign country & your expectation is English

Either you need to learn to converse in the language of the country you are in or wait for your missus to wake up & call for you

Sadly this is the truth

1 hour ago, mania said:

Either you need to learn to converse in the language of the country you are in or wait for your missus to wake up & call for you

Sadly this is the truth

Very sensible. It sounds like the operator was trying to  be helpful about the call to San Francisco. 

It can be a hassle, but Skype is soo Noughties nowadays. If your US contact has a smartphone, you could both be using Whatsapp, which is free and permits video calls also. No pissing about entering phone numbers once contacts have been established. 

/ you could probably also call to landlines with Whatsapp.

55 minutes ago, mania said:

Either you need to learn to converse in the language of the country you are in or

wait for your missus to wake up & call for you

Sadly this is the truth

I'm not surprised by your reply and take no offense.     I wonder if you read it carefully  enough to  consider the waste of time in putting me on hold.       I've never experienced any True  support call without copious amounts of hold time.     Each time I've  call True  over the years I get the feeling I'm talking to a new hire who is in training.   

Can you explain why I'd be put on hold after simply  asking to have a number  repeated?

All I wanted them to do was test the line to verify if the trunk is working.   That might be  the next step in training.

I had no doubt I'd hear the standard " speak in Thai with them" but that changes nothing as far as the process is concerned.     It takes the Missus just as long to get an elementary question answered which should be readily available from a True  support person.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

Very sensible. It sounds like the operator was trying to  be helpful about the call to San Francisco. 

You'd better check your sleuth manual.     I was not calling San Francisco. smile.gif     I should have written e.g.  Area codes are essentially meaningless in the USA today.

I've no doubt the operators were doing the best they could  as a result of their training.     They were polite,  friendly, and while not efficient,  mostly worthless.

And the return call was naturally not made but the year isn't over yet..

Edited by watcharacters

14 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm not surprised by your reply and take no offense.     I wonder if you read it carefully  enough to  consider the waste of time in putting me on hold.       I've never experienced any True  support call without copious amounts of hold time.     Each time I've  call True  over the years I get the feeling I'm talking to a new hire who is in training.   

Can you explain why I'd be put on hold after simply  asking to have a number  repeated?

All I wanted them to do was test the line to verify if the trunk is working.   That might be  the next step in training.

I had no doubt I'd hear the standard " speak in Thai with them" but that changes nothing as far as the process is concerned.     It takes the Missus just as long to get an elementary question answered which should be readily available from a True  support person.

Glad you did not take offense as none was intended.

I just think many times misunderstandings occur because as I said your expectation is English comprehension

I cannot explain what happened to you because of course a person would have to have been there.

But having watched similar events many times over the years my guess is your repeat the number request was not fully understood

But I would guess if you asked in Thai it would likely have been understood & you would not have been handed off.

Something that is usually not grasped by many  is that  many Thai people are at times unsure of their

English abilities & many times will try to divert it or hand it off to another better versed in English.

Same as many foreigners rather hand off the request to a Thai speaking partner  when their attempts at Thai maybe is

not understood also

I know it seems simple to you as a native English speaker.

But for the person who gave you the number you cannot say if they even understood your repeat request or

if that was maybe enough to spook them into question their own ability thus handing you off to another.

But at the end of the day really... & I understand it is not popular but the language of the country is the only given.

To rant or be upset over non-English folks not understanding clearly the English language will never gain traction.

No matter how many may agree English is universal

Edited by mania

17 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Each time I've  call True  over the years I get the feeling I'm talking to a new hire who is in training. 

Standard Operating Procedure for every new hire everywhere in the world - stick them on the help desk where they're learn all the problems customers have

After TelecomAsia, the predecessor to TRUE Corp, was formed in the early nineties it literally revolutionised telecoms in Thailand. In those days TOT was about as bad as a state monopoly could possibly be. TRUE changed the game.

They were also the driving force in bringing affordable broadband internet to Thai consumers.

However in the last 10 years or so they seem to have lost the way. All my experiences with them (landline, internet, mobile & cable TV) in the last few years have been overwhelmingly negative.

In my book they have gone from the top of the list to near the bottom. I guess that happens to corporations sometimes.

If you have a choice apart from TRUE take it. That would be my advice.

54 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

You'd better check your sleuth manual.     I was not calling San Francisco. smile.gif     I should have written e.g.  Area codes are essentially meaningless in the USA today.

True enough. I have a 415 area code because I bought my phone in SF, but have been living in Santa Barbara.

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Well I guess you just have to accept that the perceived value of your time has severely depreciated once you moved to Thailand. If time were really money most of us on these forums would have so much of it we would all be very wealthy. 

I have just wasted 3 minutes of my time writing this...

13 hours ago, mania said:

Sadly this is the truth

NOPE, it's Thailand which has to grow up and understand that also foreigners try to live here.

At the MacD. i ordered 3 hamburgers please, the silly girl had no idea what i was trying to say. She even didn't point on those pictures.

I also called the consumer protection board, first they didn't pick up at all, after some more trials got  a computer from which i couldn't understand a word of english, finally got some young girl who could barely understand me but didn't do anything at all with my complaint...i told her my packages from overseas got stolen often by Thailand post.

I called Samsung Thailand once, NOBODY could speak a word english.

Called Honda Thailand once, same story...finally one who could speak 2 words english.

Why do you expect us to learn Thai? What nonsense is that? My wife speaks fluent english and yes has a good job with it, makes good money.  She works in the IT and NONE of her male collegues can speak english...they all have university degree's...what a shame!

And you're telling us that's normal??

Never call a Thai helpdesk, Never ask the staff anything, Never speak Thai to a policeman...

What rubish I wee here rant c8s internet  not work then aboutMcDonalds beacuse stupid girl not understand.  LISTEN this is Thailand people so not have to learn English if you can't learn Thai your problem  not ours. About time you English speakers learnt your not the god of language get real you live in my country learn to speak my language. If not don't complain when people not understand you. Pathetic is the word I belive  come to my country and expect everybody to understand you but you make no time to learn out language .should be like uk says to live here you must speak our  language.

When something happens to me in Thailand like what happened to the OP I use it to learn.  You mentioned you have a Thai wife.  You should spend another 9 minutes of your life and learn how to say " can you repeat that?" Write it down how it sounds in English.  Put it in your wallet. Take 30 seconds for a few days and keep repeating it.  Then use it next time.  It is a very useful phrase in Thai and can be used over in many situations.  It is very easy to learn.  I don't even live here year round.  

As for the Mc Donald's guy.  OMG. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING US!!  I don't like Mc Ds maybe twice a year on a road trip I go because there  is no other choice and I get a chicken sandwich. The last two times I went the cashier hardly spoke English. Both times I was in the United States!  Both times I got over it immediately.  

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

NOPE, it's Thailand which has to grow up and understand that also foreigners try to live here.

At the MacD. i ordered 3 hamburgers please, the silly girl had no idea what i was trying to say. She even didn't point on those pictures.

I also called the consumer protection board, first they didn't pick up at all, after some more trials got  a computer from which i couldn't understand a word of english, finally got some young girl who could barely understand me but didn't do anything at all with my complaint...i told her my packages from overseas got stolen often by Thailand post.

Called Honda Thailand once, same story...finally one who could speak 2 words english.

Why do you expect us to learn Thai? What nonsense is that? My wife speaks fluent english and yes has a good job with it, makes good money.  She works in the IT and NONE of her male collegues can speak english...they all have university degree's...what a shame!

Never call a Thai helpdesk, Never ask the staff anything, Never speak Thai to a policeman...

In the time you pounded out this rant you could have learned 5 Thai words, their correct pronunciation and spelling. I see you have made more than a 1000 posts no doubt griping about other stuff. If instead you spent time with a Thai tutor my math tells me your  stock of words would be up to 5000, which would make you a fluent speaker, one whom Thais, including True reps, would delight in conversing with.

Not to mention that you would never have to pen another rant. Which is kind of Catch 22 if you think about it: if you read instead of rant then you never have to rant.

Exactly, just like back home all companies have to address the foreigners in their own language.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Exactly, just like back home all companies have to address the foreigners in their own language.

:smile::smile:

That did crack me up...Thanks for the laugh

I have to admit though I laughed even harder when fruitman typed  this...

"I called Samsung Thailand once, NOBODY could speak a word English."

I wondered like your post if he called Samsung America if anyone could speak Thai?

Edited by mania

18 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It can be a hassle, but Skype is soo Noughties nowadays. If your US contact has a smartphone, you could both be using Whatsapp, which is free and permits video calls also. No pissing about entering phone numbers once contacts have been established. 

/ you could probably also call to landlines with Whatsapp.

Yeah I ditched skype and now just use the facebook calling feature on the messenger app.

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

I think you need to improve your communication skills.

When she gave you the number the first time - and that was not effective, she probably figured that giving it a 2nd time would not help either, so she put you on hold until she could hopefully find someone to communicate with you... when you are in another culture, lack of communication can go beyond just the words. 

Can you imagine a Thai person trying to get information on the line in USA if they don't speak English? 

Getting put on hold can be annoying anywhere... 

1 hour ago, mania said:

:smile::smile:

That did crack me up...Thanks for the laugh

I have to admit though I laughed even harder when fruitman typed  this...

"I called Samsung Thailand once, NOBODY could speak a word English."

I wondered like your post if he called Samsung America if anyone could speak Thai?

My Samsung doubledoor fridge has a big sticker on the side, it says "Samsung Privilige Service, 5 years warranty"...and i even paid them extra for longer warranty...then there's a load of phonenumbers which don't work at all. One works and NOBODY speaks english there.

Great service for expats, i 'll buy another Samsung when needed, NOT.

Are you really so daft to think Samsung america can speak Thai? They are not Europeans who speak loads of languages at a servicedesk..

Probably half the planet speaks English to a certain degree. Not even all the citizens in Thailand speak Thai, but even if they all did it is still not an international business language.

And this is relevant because True Visions is providing an international service?