Whos the dumbest.

sandgroper2

Thais always being rediculed for paying a monk for the lotto numbers, or picking their numbers from the pattern on a tree.  Then  the farrang goes and tells dead people that he hopes they will rest in peace. Then offers his condolences to the friends and relies, thias, who probable never even heard of TV or can read english. Strange.

Because offering condolences doesn't cost money. Because being a good human being and offering condolences isn't an act of 'face' and done in a way that is believed to ultimately benefit themselves. Paying monks and making merit to the thais is only done because they believe they will ultimately get money out of it, not out of the goodness of their hearts.  Its why they like to swan around on FB all 'look at me' when doing something 'good' or 'nice'. 

Ill take my way over the way they do it any day. 

Who's the dumbest? Stupid people.
And there's plenty in every country.

Asking monks for winning lotto numbers is an excellent example.

Maybe you just wanted to get this off your chest. I hope you feel better.
Or maybe there's a bridge in your life.

21 minutes ago, Sup Slick said:

Because offering condolences doesn't cost money. Because being a good human being and offering condolences isn't an act of 'face' and done in a way that is believed to ultimately benefit themselves. Paying monks and making merit to the thais is only done because they believe they will ultimately get money out of it, not out of the goodness of their hearts.  Its why they like to swan around on FB all 'look at me' when doing something 'good' or 'nice'. 

Ill take my way over the way they do it any day. 

Hmmmm, you really believe this?  When offering condolences on TV to people they don't know, aren't these folks trying to portray themselves as a humanitarian and wonderful human being....thereby gaining "face?"  I've become a cynic in this regard, even towards, say, religious people who do selfless things to help humankind.  Because in fact, they are doing it to benefit themselves, i.e., secure a place in heaven (or so they believe).  There are very few people in this world who actually help people just for the sake of helping people.  Heck, I'd bet that if you open the door for someone, you'd expect a "thank you"....which is a bit self-serving when you think about it.  Anyways, whatever.....

22 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Hmmmm, you really believe this?  When offering condolences on TV to people they don't know, aren't these folks trying to portray themselves as a humanitarian and wonderful human being....thereby gaining "face?"  I've become a cynic in this regard, even towards, say, religious people who do selfless things to help humankind.  Because in fact, they are doing it to benefit themselves, i.e., secure a place in heaven (or so they believe).  There are very few people in this world who actually help people just for the sake of helping people.  Heck, I'd bet that if you open the door for someone, you'd expect a "thank you"....which is a bit self-serving when you think about it.  Anyways, whatever.....

You are making a whole lot of assumptions. People offer condolences on TV/forums because this is how people communicate. Just because its public does not mean that its done for face. Facebook, however, when the narcissistic thais get out taking selfies of themselves doing 'good' or 'making merit' and posting about it, that is clearly done for self serving means and pure narcissism IMO. 

Not every expat in Thailand is 'religious' per se, but just about every Thai is 'Buddhist' (small percentage Muslim). I don't know many Thais that make merit just to make merit. They do it for a reason and most of the time its for 'luck' or 'monetary gain' and thereby self serving. 

Its unfortunate because it can be a good thing, religion, and Thais are generally good people, but yeah I think I will just respect that its their way, and roll on with mine. 

And no, I hold the door open for people naturally because my parents taught me manners as a chid. No thanks necessary, and no FB posts necessary, and Ill offer condolences to friends & family because what good people do. Dont need to pay a monk for any good grace or luck. 

Edited by Sup Slick

i went to a small temple inthe north mountains

as a friend took warm robes to the monks there

in the grounds had a large rock-shaped like a penis under a roof

they had found in the jungle years ago

the locals came all the time to feel to get lotto numbers from

i tried came up with 69 still waiting 

2 hours ago, sean in udon said:

Bridge?

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

You are,  like myself, a very wise man and summed people perfectly. Congrats.

3 hours ago, sean in udon said:

you mean the monks don't know winning lotto numbers? :huh:

From personal experience I know how to get the winning lottery numbers. First you need your mother in law to die, then put her in the freezer for 7 days giving time for every one to get very drunk. Then burn her, take the remains out of the oven and spread them on a sheet of metal. If you look very closely the winning numbers will be clear to see.

When I was a kid I heard someone say "true charity is giving when no one is looking."  That kind of stuck with me.  If I do give and someone notices I feel embarrassed.  One time at the market in Ranong I bought chicken & rice for a little Rohingya girl who was begging  (I don't like giving money, it'll probably go to some Fagin character).  The lady who ran the stall gave me a 5 baht discount, which impressed me.  Still, I waited until the girl started eating to make sure she was served properly.  For some reason the whole incident did not make me feel good about myself.

Overall, I think displays of charity are a bad idea, as others will queue up with their hands out.

Edited by bendejo