First ferry from Pattaya safely arrives in Hua Hin

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Do you fly? Ever had a delayed or cancelled flight? Sure, you have ... many times. But I bet you still continue to fly.

Interesting point - most people fly because the y have to - e.g - the length of distance. Only on local flights do they have an alternative and then delays can make the purchase of a ticket not worthwhile.

the ferry appears to be largely for recreational purposes - anyone thinking it will save time or money may well after one bad trip return to the road alternative.

19 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Do you fly? Ever had a delayed or cancelled flight? Sure, you have ... many times. But I bet you still continue to fly.

I've been flying on a regular basis (average 3 flights per year) for the last 30-odd years.  I've only ever once had a flight delayed by more than a couple of hours and even that was only delayed for a day.  I have also only once experienced a cancelled flight and the airline (KLM) put us on an alternative flight leaving an hour later which admittedly took us to a different destination airport but with free transport at the other end to take us to our destination.

So all in all, I've never been delayed by more than 24 hours on any travel by air.  A little different to being delayed for a week or thereabouts.

19 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Have you ever had a flight delayed for 5 days like the first trip of this ferry was. Every time there are bad weather in the gulf this ferry will be delayed. For travellers this will make the service unreliable. You cant expect travellers to buy tickets and then be told they cant travel or worse we dont know when you will be able to travel. If you read first hand reports of the first trip you will also see that many people got sea sick.

Its interesting how much the successful maiden voyage irritates so many Thaivisa members that they have to desperately cobble together all sorts of fatuous nonsense in their attempts to denigrate the service.

I would have reservations about this service in particular the pricing.

On the premise that at 0 baht the number of passengers would be “unlimited/maximum or at least exceed the capacity of the vessel, incremental price increases will show a line that relates passenger take up against price.

I doubt if this is s a straight line - more likely a parabolic curve of some kind.

In fact what has the take up been on the free (0 baht) test trips? Was the vessel even full then?

So my question would be at what price does take cover running costs and expected profit from the project?

My feeling is that at the current price take up will be too low......and subsequent reductions in price may result in  a loss in profitability to the extent that the operation will have to close or get subsidized.

I would also question the service offered.....I would seem to me that there has been little or no research into who/what would require or take up this service.

So far it has been suggested that tourists wishing to avoid the longer and more dangerous road trip are the target - but will this be sufficient to keep the service running year round?

There have been hints of a larger vessel later, which would double capacity and of course introduce savings of scale for the company - but this depends on the extra numbers of take-ups being there in the first place. Where is the evidence for that?

[For example -  with the larger vessel 250 per trip - 2 trips par day times 7 days equals 3500 pax per week - is this possible?]

It seems to e that they have not considered and car ferry either...although this would require a much higher level of investment, given the potential advantages for freight and motorists one wonders if in the long run this would have been a more productive service.

In conclusion one has to wonder at the depth of research that went into the business plan for this venture and the ultimate practicability or the service offered and the potential for it to pay for itself.

1250 baht one way... VIP price to be announced...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I'm sure some people will think this new service is the best thing since sliced bread.

But others including myself believe their are serious issues to be considered surrouding this launch.

I think that just sitting back and unquestionly accepting it as some perfect solution is just plain unthinking shortsightedness.. 

How it runs ...how safe and how viable remains to be seen...but as there have already been previous failed attempts at this I think it is valid to take historical evidence into account

I would really love to see a service across the Gulf that answered a real need not some half-hearted suck it see attempt  that disappears beneath the  waves like all previous efforts.

In the end it may require a government subsidy  to provide a vehicle/freight service that will take some of the traffic off the Kanchanaprisek bridge...a service that may even stretch further than Hua Hin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, Sooo Upto Me said:

Something good an newsworthy has just happened for Pattaya & Hua Hin but yet u still get moaners on here who just hav to try & find faults with it.

It is not just Hua Hin and Pattaya that will benefit. There are many people here in Songkhla with businesses and family ties on the eastern. This will turn a two-day driving nightmare into something much more bearable for many people.

I understand there are a lot of people who say it won't work, so let's just wait and see.

The failure of many new transport links/services here in Thailand is the failure of providers to make the public aware of them...The Haad Yai-Phuket service by Nok Air comes to mind.

As far as I am concerned anything that makes travel around Thailand more convenient (without the need to transit in the Great Mango-opolis) is more than welcome.

2 hours ago, phuketsub said:

The failure of many new transport links/services here in Thailand is the failure of providers to make the public aware of them...The Haad Yai-Phuket service by Nok Air comes to mind.

Probably that, yes, and also, the misc. failures to run safe, reliable, competent services that don't end up sinking, blowing up, catching fire, hitting another boat, or otherwise dumping their customers into the ocean.

Archived