No surprise: Baht bus drivers ignore military’s new rules

Rimmer

No surprise: Baht bus drivers ignore military’s new rule

1223-N20.jpg

PATTAYA:--In what should come as a surprise to no one given Pattaya’s previous efforts to regulate baht buses, drivers simply ignored new military-issued dictates regarding routes and stopping zones when they went into effect Dec. 24.

As stern and serious as the generals made their new rules and penalties sound, baht bus drivers on Dec. 25 were carrying on as they always have, stopping and parking wherever they like and hitting unsuspecting tourists up for exorbitant rates for off-route rides.

The Second Road-Beach Road loop route was as disorganized as ever with many double-parking to grab fares, resulting in heavy traffic.

Long-time Pattaya residents were hardly surprised, given how miserably past campaigns to set bus stops and enforce traffic laws for songthaews have gone.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/no-surprise-baht-bus-drivers-ignore-militarys-new-rules-160492

PATTAYA MAIL 2017-01-06

Did they seriously think that the baht bus drivers would take notice.

They are a law unto themselves, only way to curb them is fine them heavy everytime to do wrong.

After the third offence confiscate the vehicle for 1 month, hit them hard in the pocket, thats the only thing that will stop them.

Something is working. On the 4th of January I left Central at 11 pm traveling along Beach Road, and then Pratunmak Road toward Jomtien. I have never seen the traffic so light, in 11 years, at any time of the year. Normally the traffic is gridlocked from Garden Plaza, all the way along this route to Soi 16, Pratumnak Road. 

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

Something is working. On the 4th of January I left Central at 11 pm traveling along Beach Road, and then Pratunmak Road toward Jomtien. I have never seen the traffic so light, in 11 years, at any time of the year. Normally the traffic is gridlocked from Garden Plaza, all the way along this route to Soi 16, Pratumnak Road. 

Probably because there's such a low tourist turnout. Many Baht busses empty or with just a couple of passengers 

1 minute ago, luis888 said:

Probably because there's such a low tourist turnout. Many Baht busses empty or with just a couple of passengers 

I considered that, but Central Mall was busy. Also, even in quiet times, of which there have been many over the years, there's far more traffic on this route at 11 pm. Baht buses were not blocking the street as they normally do.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

They are a law unto themselves, only way to curb them is fine them heavy everytime to do wrong.

After the third offence confiscate the vehicle for 1 month, hit them hard in the pocket, thats the only thing that will stop them.

This applies not just to baht buses. Every motorist, including motorcyclists must be hit very hard in the pocket for EVERY motoring violation.......countrywide.....in towns and villages

Dec 4th, in reply to their original announcement of this initiative:

"It will only happen while the Army is in sight patrolling. How long will that last? Long enough for a photo op that's for sure. Tearing up a slipway is one thing. Sticking around to do "legwork" is quite another."

Who would have expected that the outcome could have been any different?

Edited by Enoon

40 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

This applies not just to baht buses. Every motorist, including motorcyclists must be hit very hard in the pocket for EVERY motoring violation.......countrywide.....in towns and villages

Please go home where there is lots of law and order. Leave us alone.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Last night at about 9 pm it was most definitely gridlocked!

3 hours ago, tropo said:

yes but will the general take credit for how easy it is to travel around tourist towns?

The baht buses work great and dont need fixing...

What the baht buses need is to be left alone to do their job...

Pattaya and each and every person in Pattaya is lucky to have such

convenient and cheap transportation.. 

I am thankful every day...

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Just remind me; when have the UK police ever enforced the new motorway rules for middle lane driving and tail gating; answer, one conviction of some poor sod in 3 years. It's not just Thailand that passes unenforceable laws. 

The difference is that most people in the UK have some sense of responsibility and actually tend to obey laws - particularly ones designed to keep people alive. Not the case here at all so enforcement is essential. 

8 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Easy solution.....B 10,000 fine for overcharging,

driver jailed for 48hrs.   

Overcharging? is 10 or 20 Baht too much for you?

I have payed 200-300 baht a number of times for

special hire like moving a lot

of stuff....Guess what? I am happy to pay..

Why should they not charge more for their time..I sure would...

Edited by fforest1

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

Read the article ....It's not about the cost....it's about

disregarding the Military's new LAW.....Genius!!

Yesterday on 2 n rd opposite the temple there were dozens of police around the baht bus stop, direction Central mall. Also, there were a lot of men painting red places for bus stops, etc on beach road.,A designated bus stop'every  few kilometres on beach road , and everywhere, would  be  better , but that demands organisation, which they don't have. I see also that the price has not been put up to 20 baht , who decided that ?  Must say though , that all Phuket people are dead jealous of The Pattaya system of cheap transport . One of the reasons I left Phuket was because of this.

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

The baht buses work great and dont need fixing...

What the baht buses need is to be left alone to do their job...

Pattaya and each and every person in Pattaya is lucky to have such

convenient and cheap transportation.. 

I am thankful every day...

Spot on. Here in Phuket it's 200 baht minimum fare in a taxi or tuk tuk and 400 baht for the 7km journey between Karon and Patong. 

Like you, all Pattaya residents, should be thankful!

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

All constables resembling the boys in brown should be armed with cattle prods and given as little instruction as possible on how to properly use same.  Then unleash the hordes of constabularies onto the Baht Bus miscreants.  It's the only way.

Edited by TonyClifton