Fears mount that Angkor Wat ticket price hike could deter visitors

geovalin

PHNOM PENH — Cambodia earned US$62.5 million (S$90.6 million) from ticket sales to Angkor Wat temple complex in 2016, an increase of 4.21 per cent compared with the previous year.

Data released this week by the Angkor Institution, the park’s state-run ticketing agency, showed that 2.19 million foreign tourists visited the site in the southern province of Siem Reap in 2016. The figure represents an increase of 90,000 visitors, who brought in an extra US$2.5 million, from 2015.

Last year was the first since the government took over ticket sales management from a private firm, which had operated it for 17 years.

In August, the Angkor Institution announced that it would nearly double the price of single-day passes for foreigners, and increase the fees for multi-day tickets to Angkor Wat starting in February. The move prompted concerns that it could discourage tourists from visiting the site.

Mr Ho Vandy, secretary-general of the Cambodia National Tourism Alliance, said representatives of the industry have asked the government to consider delaying the price hike.

The new price for a one-day pass will be US$37, up from the current US$20, a three-day ticket goes up to US$62 from the current US$40, and a week-long pass will soon cost US$72, up from the US$60 charged at present.

Mr Vandy said the request was sent to the government late last year, but no reply had been received yet. He added that Siem Riep has not fully realised its potential as a tourist attraction.

“The tourist numbers are increasing, but the rise is quite flat. We want a much bigger increase than this,” he said. “Establishing more tourism products will attract tourists to stay longer, so that other sectors will benefit.”

source http://www.todayonline.com/world/asia/fears-mount-angkor-wat-ticket-price-hike-could-deter-visitors

I've been to Ankor Wat 4 times and would love to go again but due to the price increase, it is now off my list of places. I thought the prior prices were a bit much but the price increases just don't make it worthwhile to go back. 

David

when i went there the entry price was $20 and the tuktuk was $6 for the day. the tuktuk drivers now want the same as the entry price so if the entry price rises to $37 expect the tuktuk price to rise to $37 for the day. isn't this rather like the tourist visa price which is always on the rise. consider also the many khmer vendors, who get in for free and come from as far away as phnom penh, to sell soft drinks and souvenirs. the tourist and not the temples is the attraction.

Great news.

If the week pass was increased to $100, with similar %'s added to the other passes, I would be tempted to visit again.

Last time was 2007.   Crowded then.

Even better, make the $100 week pass the only one available.

"The mice in their million hordes, from Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads" 

It's hardly a bank-breaking sum of money to visit one of the world's most stunning sights.

Nothing can match that buzz one gets as one approaches the park along CdG Boulevard and the first glimpse of the ruins through the trees at the top of the road. 

I'd say 'see it now before it's totally over run with North East Asian tourists' as it almost was on my last trip there. No bad thing, especially running into gaggles of cute giggling Japanese lasses all over the place.

$37 - $72 is mere Chicken feed for the Thai Visa millionaires club surely?

1 hour ago, Merylhighground said:

It's hardly a bank-breaking sum of money to visit one of the world's most stunning sights.

Nothing can match that buzz one gets as one approaches the park along CdG Boulevard and the first glimpse of the ruins through the trees at the top of the road. 

I'd say 'see it now before it's totally over run with North East Asian tourists' as it almost was on my last trip there. No bad thing, especially running into gaggles of cute giggling Japanese lasses all over the place.

$37 - $72 is mere Chicken feed for the Thai Visa millionaires club surely?

Hardly bank breaking, i have to agree. But its the feeling of being ripped off that looses me.

One of the world's great sites.  Was there in 93 when you could rent a Honda 50 for $5 a day and poke around at a leisurely pace.

Not a lot of traffic back then.  Only the intrepid travelers who braved possible Khmer Rouge activity.  You didn't leave your hotel compound at night but the days were pretty safe.  Never thought it would turn into a Disneyland.  I was back in 2000 with the tour busses and crowds and swore never again.   Can't imagine what a circus it must be now.