Should I bother checking if immig updated my address?

The last time that I visited immigration to do my 90 day reporting I was on day 6 of the 7 day late requirement. The unfriendly guy (in his important uniform) tried to hit me with the 1000 baht fine and I showed him a printout of the rules stating that Im entitled to a 7 day grace period. 

After this, I presented the TM28 and TM30 (change of address) and he was not happy about helping me with this of course. 

He grunted and kind of handed it all back to me at first. I handed it back to him and then he took it and put it on a chair next to his desk. At this time I didn't realise that he was supposed to action in on the spot and give me the receipt at the bottom of the form. I left the office without getting confirmation receipt stamped. The next day the boss called the office, explained what happened, and apparently my address was updated over the phone. 

The million dollar question is... when I next go down again to do the 90 day reporting should I present photocopies of the 2 x TM forms and ask him to check the address? Or should I not care and remember this is Thailand. 

Because the online reporting system is down atm I have to keep going to the office. When its back up and I can do it online will it reject if I input the new address (if they haven't updated it on their system)?

thanks

• Like 1

It seems that the "boss' may of sorted it out.

The online 90 day reporting system would not reject your report for having a different address. Your immigration office might not approve it if it does not match their records. Just try if the system is up again when your are due to report.

TM30 is a form used to report the presence of a foreigner entitled to be in the Kingdom to immigration within 24 hours of their arrival, the foreigner is not resposible for this form.
TM 47 is the form used by a foreigner to report his staying in the country longer than 90 days.
These forms would seem to satisfy the requirments to keep tabs on visa holders because the address on the TM47 should be the same as the address on the latest TM 30 held at immigration.

What is Form TM28?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I should be able to find it at 'bangkok.immigration.go.th>base' which must be considered 'Head Office' and I can't.
This topic is about the 90 day report and there is no mention of it in that procedure.

The Bangkok immigration website is really only for Bangkok.

Form is here on main immigration site: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

It is also here on the Bangkok site but the PDF form links don't work. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=download

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

TM30 is a form used to report the presence of a foreigner entitled to be in the Kingdom to immigration within 24 hours of their arrival, the foreigner is not resposible for this form.
TM 47 is the form used by a foreigner to report his staying in the country longer than 90 days.
These forms would seem to satisfy the requirments to keep tabs on visa holders because the address on the TM47 should be the same as the address on the latest TM 30 held at immigration.

What is Form TM28?

If a foreigner is considered to be the possessor (eg: the person who signed the rental agreement) of the property that he/she is staying in they could be held responsible for submitting the completed TM30.

Got it. It actually says 'another province' not 'the province'. If this form is required to be submitted along with your TM 47. it serves no purpose at all. It would be nice to be able to envisage some circumstance when it might be useful, bearing in mind that a TM30 form exists. Can you think of anything?

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Got it. It actually says 'another province' not 'the province'. If this form is required to be submitted along with your TM 47. it serves no purpose at all. It would be nice to be able to envisage some circumstance when it might be useful, bearing in mind that a TM30 form exists. Can you think of anything?

The majority of immigration offices will only want a TM28  if you change your permanent address. There are a couple of offices that have been reported as wanting them when you enter the country which is not correct. I think they are doing that in order to fine people a larger amount than what is allowed for failure to do a TM30 form.

There is a lot of inconsisitency in the application of the rules and requirements, for example we are not reponsible for the TM30 form but somehow immigration seem to accept a foreigner signing has housemaster, but I believe that there is logic in the law.
It seems logical that Immigration need to know (TM30) where you live and the police need to be aware (TM28) of where tourists are for their safety. The only time I can remember the police being involved was my first Retirement extension, perhaps a TM28 was done then and further TM 28 forms should have been required occasionally since then but weren't. Also touring up country should have been reported, this is where the overlap comes probably, because the TM30 in some cases would have to go to the police and a TM28 from me would be superfluous. The police requirement is not as important as it may have been once and also impractical bearing in mind how many tourists there are.

If a foreigner is considered to be the possessor (eg: the person who signed the rental agreement) of the property that he/she is staying in they could be held responsible for submitting the completed TM30.

Sorry I didn't notice this. Very worthwhile pointing out that only people in that position need to report on TM30 form. However if an officer accepts TM30, TM28 and TM 47 as a 90 day report I assume that it is because he just finds it easier than trying to explain that they are not required.