Home made aluminium panniers

Can samui

Well, this might go on for a bit as I update the thread as more material comes in or I make an enormous blunder!

Decided to try my hand at making panniers for my 650 Versys, after all......what could possibly go wrong?

Found some 2mm sheet aluminium and some 1mm 25mm angle stock so off I charged! Oh yeah, rivets from China too.b68ae262eebdf5b16aa55ff6416fc287.jpg

2db2b8986c0de670e0c12c44150aa1d3.jpg

Really hope this works, I am a Ludite.

Ok, cut it up with a hand grinder and a lot of patience.654622627cc8ad5b34f821574ceca4be.jpg

Outline of the bottom angle stock before attaching any sheeting.3a0ca15dd40aad13a21fb3ae406167d5.jpg

Side panels in place and riveted at the bottom.2aaf4bdb612d9518b66722c17d2faa6f.jpg

Corner supports in place and riveted. I think the black rivets look pretty good!

Oh yeah, my high tech and super organized work area.

b248c30a094c8bcfa1dca170449bed80.jpg

Ok, more to follow as more gets done. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I think the Wright brothers said the same thing at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Considering you have set the bar low there is no point in telling you how to do it a better way.   Onward young man!  

Just one thing......you may find a blessing......use piano hinges for the lids.  Normal hinges from the hardware store aren't up to the job.

2 hours ago, Can samui said:

Yeah....me too!
Lids are made just waiting for more angle stock for the lips and yes, the mounting brackets will be an adventure! Going to try my hand at aluminium brazing on 20mm square tube.
I have no idea what the hell I am doing.

Aluminium brazing is not that easy, since the filler material has a melting point very close to the aluminium, so you will be endanger of melting both and end up with a mess. A better option is to use an epoxy, finish with silicone sealant and you are waterproof too....or you could just use sealant with the rivets/bolts.

I did think about building such boxes, for my Lifan dirtbike, but since we ride/tour two up, MrsB legs would be vulnerable to the sharp (square) edges. So instead I bought two bags and glued some ply panels on the inside face of each, I then bolted those to a mounting frame I had made. I added a strap connecting the opposing sides to help spread the load.

I also made two small side-tank bags where I put smaller heavier stuff (tools and the like) to help spread the load.

But anyway your idea looks sound..........

PS. An easier option to hinges is to make a lid and 2 or 3 webbing straps to hold it down, very easy to make it waterproof. Use silicon for the lid to prevent rattling. I am right with you with your DIY boxes, shows a bit of innovation. 

Edited by AllanB

Two marine grade stainless steel hinges per box, should do the trick.
And if I should go down then these boxes will be the least of my concerns.
I have about 1800 baht into the pair so far so no great loss if I pooch one up.
Yeah, hear ya on the aluminium brazing, been to youtube school so I know what to expect but I am sure I will get to experience it first hand!
Also, because of the unexpected length of our rainy season here on Samui I dont have a lot else to do and definitely no riding as I am sure I would melt in the rain!
Cheers for the feedback folks and will keep you updated, probably slowly, on any progress.

Brazing aluminium......just so you get to experience the hell that will be, for practice sharpen a bamboo stick and go into the jungle and find a big bull elephant and start poking it with the bamboo stick!

Or alternatively, find your local aluminium guy with a TIG welder and pay him 500 baht to do the welding.

And yes, I to have brazed aluminium in the distant past.  :saai: 

40 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Maybe a sucker for punishment but I will give it a shot, want to do this whole thing myself.
If I do get tired of smacking myself on the head with a stick I will give in and take it to get pro welded.
I......have.....to....try...........

Aluminium welding is very difficult without a tutor present, but if you are really determined, get a whole pile of scrap ally and practice. Remember this will be on show........unless you use filler and paint.

Maybe the pro welder will give you a bit of tuition, for a couple of beers.

I admire your tenacity............but good skill to learn. 

Ok, got one lid done, second should go smoother.........I hope.
7cbdcf7f863d72a36224d059692ec789.jpg
7f8488540aef743a86503633527b0496.jpg
Added silver reflective tape around the sides and back of the boxes due to the fact that most car drivers are legally blind or have selective vision that does not allow them to see motorbikes.
Picked up some 19mm aluminum box tube in Chinatown in BKK so will have something to fiddle with when the expected rains return to Samui later this week.

On 1/8/2017 at 4:44 PM, Can samui said:

Two marine grade stainless steel hinges per box, should do the trick.
And if I should go down then these boxes will be the least of my concerns.
I have about 1800 baht into the pair so far so no great loss if I pooch one up.
Yeah, hear ya on the aluminium brazing, been to youtube school so I know what to expect but I am sure I will get to experience it first hand!
Also, because of the unexpected length of our rainy season here on Samui I dont have a lot else to do and definitely no riding as I am sure I would melt in the rain!
Cheers for the feedback folks and will keep you updated, probably slowly, on any progress.

Pratice on a scrap sheet, I know very experienced welders who will not put a torch to aluminum to easy to melt

Hi Grumpy, here is the paid to date list.
1.2 square meter of 2mm sheet - 1600
10 meters of 1mm thick 25mm angle stock - 500
6 meters of 19mm square box tubing - 300
Assorted rivets, grinding wheels and stuff - 1000

Tools- grinder, drill, hack saw, pop rivet gun.

Oops, almost forgot......beer, lots of beer.......

Thanks Grumpy! Will wait to see the end result before passing judgement.
Foggy, the latches are out of China from eBay, dirt cheap and take about three weeks to get here.
Most of the fittings on the boxes are out of China via eBay, mainly because it is near impossible to get anything here on Samui.

Going to try some practice brazing this morning........
If I do not post again then I have lost it and am up the Mekong with Col Kurtz!
Just so I could actually accomplish something today I put the faux BMW world map stickers on.
aaf0f1be3dca38fe390f1f73247af83a.jpg
Hey, I just kinda like them!
Ok, time to gird my loins and fire up the torch........

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.....first torch I borrowed for brazing just did not get hot enough!
Have a line on a butane torch so gonna give that a try but if that does not achieve the necessary temperature I will bite the bullet, admit defeat and find a welder with a TIG machine.
Got some more stuff in lately, 5x8 rivets, 2mm neoprene so the latches and locks are installed and a seal of sorts around the lid. The locks are just a deterent, a decent pair of pliers would pop them off, only time the bike will be without me is on a ferry as the boxes will be easily removable to accompany me into any accomadation.8c6b9f0f971ecab0b19fed6f1cdb8403.jpg
9567a210e26977a81afd38c80400d665.jpg