120,000 Baht Gold Chain Stolen From Chinese Tourist in Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, anfh said:

Is there some sort of law in Pattaya that says " always keep your expensive jewlery in plain site whilst out in suspect areas" as I appear to have missed this !!!

If everybody had good genuine common sense, there would no need for any laws.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WhizBang said:

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

If this is true it is as you stated"brain dead" OR if one was to loose big in a football bet, selling his chain and claiming the loose would be the next thing I would think.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would have thought it to be a magnet to thieves anywhere.

It really is about time that the Chinese tourists were warned about the risks in town.... I don't think I own anything more valuable than that chain apart from the house!

When I lived in India (Chennai) a number of Western ladies I knew had gold chains and pendants snatched from them. They were usually waiting for a taxi or auto-rickshaw and someone would ride by and grab chains and hand-bags. Even had one American lady robbed like this by a guy on a bicycle!

5 hours ago, WhizBang said:

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

My wife gave me a simple 2 Baht gold chain 5 years ago and I have never worn it for this exact reason. Same reason I only own a simple smart phone.

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

I agree there is a bigger risk, no sense in denying it. I am just used to wearing this necklace and i wear it under my clothes just a small part sticks out. Its just that i come to get attached to it sentimentally. Grabbing and pulling wont work as its strong 18k gold not the softer 24k thai gold. 

If looking into the barrel of a gun i bet you'll put it off asap. Or maybe not but in that case you'll have to fight for it.

Just now, fruitman said:

If looking into the barrel of a gun i bet you'll put it off asap. Or maybe not but in that case you'll have to fight for it.

Not going to fight a losing battle against a guy or other weapons. But until that happens I will wear the necklace and enjoy wearing it. The alternative is not wearing it and then its useless already.

Snatching quite a big chain from a man who looks quite big and healthy and also have several male friends by his side... Hmmm sounds kinda risky and atypical action on behalf of the snatcher. Yes, possibly , what we have here is just an insurance fraud. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

I also have a nice gold chain i got 26 years ago for a birthday have always worn it too. Not as fat as this one and made from 18K gold (so a bit more sturdy). Nothing wrong with wearing something like this never had any problems. Though I don't spend that much time in Pattaya but no problems in BKK. 

I'm guessing that you are not 1.6m tall and 60Kg - which may have something to do with you not being targeted. :smile:

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I myself wasn"t aware of that danger in Pattaya the first time I came to Thailand....... Untill it was pointed out to me.

Your lucky someone pointed the way. Pointing is popular here. Ah yes the ignorance of youth gives them a false sense of security. Good thing the chain broke the poor fellow may have been decapitated. 

6 hours ago, WhizBang said:

I get the same impression about the iphones that people flash about.   As most phones seem to have a life span of 2 or 3 years, and some can't replace batteries, a lot of folk can hardly afford these expensive items, and they seem so attractive to motocy highwaymen.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

" He had noticed a motorbike had been driving behind them, but thought nothing of it "

as for me: I don't notice bikes at all driving behind me - that's just normal and o.k. Once I want to cross the street or else I check my behinds...so this guy seems be telling stories

Comments aside, crime targeting tourists for any reason is out of control in Pattaya.

(Of course tourists bring money, and money attracts the dregs of Thai society.)

Which means that someone (authorities) are not doing their jobs. 

Maybe if they spent less time busting motorbike drivers, for tea money, in front of White Rose Hotel (Pratumnak Road) every single day, and actually did some proactive police work?

But naw, there is no profit/advantage in that, and that's not Thainess!

A successful China man will never leave off his gold watch or chain when he dresses himself in the morning, its a symbol of success and shows his status, they will wear them and use them rather than lock them away.  If you ever see a genuine well healed Chinese gentleman you will notice that his gold Rolex is hanging off his wrist not tight, this is because he does not want to loose two links from the chain and so be parted from the gold on his wrist band. 

4 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Expensive birthday gift and he wore it for 5 years so no such crimes in China it seems.

Surprisingly, not so much in China.  Unlike Thailand, they don't have many what you'd call repeat offenders.  

Get caught once and they won't be in any condition -never mind the mood- to do it again.  If and when they get out of prison.

In Pattaya?  A sob story, a 500 baht fine and they can be out doing it again that same night.

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

Surprisingly, not so much in China.  Unlike Thailand, they don't have many what you'd call repeat offenders.  

Get caught once and they won't be in any condition -never mind the mood- to do it again.  If and when they get out of prison.

In Pattaya?  A sob story, a 500 baht fine and they can be out doing it again that same night.

Good point about serial offenders, the poor young Thai chap that got murdered in BKK not so long time ago for his Iphone, was killed by a serial offender.

The Thais are very angry about it and it looks like this time they trow away the key as he is a hopeless case.

Yes if those same and same people gets locked up a long time, thus act as a warning to others, the place would be much safer for non criminals.

I dont believe it,and i think its a scam.The photo could be iffy.It could have been taken in the shop,when trying it on.The robbery was planned.He simply put on the same t shirt and then went out for the night,and fabricated the whole thing.Was he able to produce a kosher receipt?Did  plod actually go to the shop to check with the owner if he sold such an item to the guy.Why on earth would he have someone take a pic of him wearing the necklace on the night?Sorry but there are too many variables in this little scenario.Surely any copper with a brain would have thought of this....oh yeah...sorry,,TIT.

7 hours ago, WhizBang said:

Tourists not aware of the risk. I'm sure a lot of people who came here would not have come if they were aware of the risks.

The LOS campaign tends to lull tourists into a false sense of security. It's not like Thailand is going to promote tourism by explaining in detail all the possible risks of being here.

This reminds me of a story told by a member here on TV. 

Quote  " When i take a bar girl home for the night, before going for a shower in the morning i leave a fake  bht 50 gold chain on the dressing table then go for a nice long shower. When i come out i usually find both Chain and girl gone. Result all night in for Bht50"

Clever  yes !

Archived