120,000 Baht Gold Chain Stolen From Chinese Tourist in Pattaya

webfact

7 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

I'm still trying to work out how a 6baht chain can be worth 12000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(OP)

Thailand Gold Info and Live Price Updates
  Buy ฿ Sell ฿
Bar (1 Baht, 96.5%) 19400 19500
Bar (1 Baht, 99.9%) n/a n/a
Ornament (1 Baht, 96.5%) 19056.12 19900

6 x 19900 = 119,400

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Years ago my wife asked me not to wear my 2 baht gold chain for fear that I would be attacked.  Now my chain lives in my safe .... sad 

Check if you still have the correct password to the safe.  In Thailand, they make sure that nothing valuable belongs to the Farangs, starting from your house.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I also have a nice gold chain i got 26 years ago for a birthday have always worn it too. Not as fat as this one and made from 18K gold (so a bit more sturdy). Nothing wrong with wearing something like this never had any problems. Though I don't spend that much time in Pattaya but no problems in BKK. 

No rules without  exceptions .......  A man felt out his balcony from floor 10 and survived.  Still I would take no chances...

20 minutes ago, Grubster said:

I agree, but I'm also guessing the Chinese may not be aware of the crime in Thailand tourist areas until learning first hand.

They are aware.  But they were in a group, and like everything else Chinese, they thought they could outnumber the Thais just like they did against Taiwan.

4 minutes ago, Nielsk said:

No rules without  exceptions .......  A man felt out his balcony from floor 10 and survived.  Still I would take no chances...

Neither would I but I accept the risk I am taking, but for me its natural to wear the necklace because i have for so long already. I am attached to wearing it, by locking it up it has no use nor value to me. 

I'd only believe him if he showed me his passport photo wearing the necklace . Someone must love him a lot to give him that gold necklace when he was 20 years old. I want to see the picture of him taken at airport immigration too, come to think of it.

4 hours ago, WhizBang said:

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

Do they sell insurance in Chaina? (not misspelled)

5 minutes ago, bkk75 said:

Isn't the same for older TVF members?

Probably not. More for well to do first time foreigners to Thailand.

Most old TVF members have strict budgets or a gun held at the back of their heads...???

2 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Me thinks more to this than meets the eye, insurance maybe 

me thinks its not easy to snatch a 6BHT gold chain with a mighty strong clasp.

that would have left a nasty mark on his neck.

What sort of a brain dead person wears a 120,000 baht gold chain, in Pattaya, at night?  Common sense would tell you that flashing an expensive gold chain is nothing but a magnet for thieves, especially in Pattaya.  

When i stayed in a hotel in Phuket it also happened to another guest...his heavy golden bracelet was missing next day, he didn't even notice them stealing it and suspected the ladyboys who clamp to people at the sidewalks.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I also have a nice gold chain i got 26 years ago for a birthday have always worn it too. Not as fat as this one and made from 18K gold (so a bit more sturdy). Nothing wrong with wearing something like this never had any problems. Though I don't spend that much time in Pattaya but no problems in BKK. 

One day i won a golden necklace at a lottery but immediatly sold it the next day before my wife started wearing it. Not that i care if she wears it but it's the risk of getting robbed (with violence) it brings.

Wearing expensive jewelry is asking for troubles, not only in Thailand but also outside.

Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't wearing it.
The photo proves nothing, except he was wearing a chain at some point in the past, it may have been the same one or a different one.
maybe he was robbed, maybe he wasn't, maybe he's looking for a police report so he can make an insurance claim on his return to China to pay for his holiday????

Who knows and who really cares?

And he just happened to have a close up photo of his alleged stolen necklace...  And wearing the same T-shirt.  Come on.  Coincidence!!!

This is 100% another  "Insurance Fraud".  All he needs is a police report.  The Police make it too easy for unscrupulous people to get a free vacation. 

And on the Minuscule chance that this is a legit claim,  Som Nam Na. 

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

One day i won a golden necklace at a lottery but immediatly sold it the next day before my wife started wearing it. Not that i care if she wears it but it's the risk of getting robbed (with violence) it brings.

Wearing expensive jewelry is asking for troubles, not only in Thailand but also outside.

I agree there is a bigger risk, no sense in denying it. I am just used to wearing this necklace and i wear it under my clothes just a small part sticks out. Its just that i come to get attached to it sentimentally. Grabbing and pulling wont work as its strong 18k gold not the softer 24k thai gold. 

Or maybe, like millions of other tourists, he believed TATs version of the surefire loveliness of each individual Thai?

"Common sense" is not innate.  It, like everything else, has to be learned.  It is nothing more than the learned specific response to specific problems/situations.

That is why those who believe themselves "gifted" with superior common sense frequently lack imagination, or the ability to "think out of the box".

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein 

My brain holds information worth over 998 billion baht...

I should never go out, because I might be kidnapped...

and then everyone on TV will call me brain dead!!!

or they kidnap my kids, and then it's my fault again...

or steal my car

46 minutes ago, robblok said:

Neither would I but I accept the risk I am taking, but for me its natural to wear the necklace because i have for so long already. I am attached to wearing it, by locking it up it has no use nor value to me. 

I understand Your point, as long You have a strong fastener   !!

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

If you walked down the street with 120,000B in your hand, people would say you are out of your mind. But they do essentially the same with jewellry.  Displaying wealth in this way just shows bad character anyway. No one is ever impressed.

Yes a bit like Honda Waves with the end cut off the silencer , only one that thinks it is smart is the owner.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

He thought the gold chain would only be a magnet for those sweet young girls...??

Such an ego...

I do not think so, a guy wearing any sort of jewelry which can be seen easily in the dark is hardly likely going to be too interested in sweet young girls, or any girls for that matter.:wub:

Archived