Chinese expat community swells in Thailand 

webfact

Chinese expat community swells in Thailand 
By Suwatchai Songwanich 
Chief executive Officer, 
Bangkok Bank (China)

BANGKOK: -- I often write about how Thai businesses could do more to build links with China, its companies and people. Tourism provides a useful cross-cultural bridge for developing such ties. However, perhaps an even better connection is through Chinese expats living and working in Thailand. 

Recent research from CBRE Thailand shows the Chinese expat population has doubled over the past five years, making it the second-largest foreign community in Thailand after the Japanese. 

Chinese people now hold 13.3 per cent of all work permits issued in Thailand, an increase of almost one-fifth since last year. Japanese expats, however, are declining, albeit slowly. Whereas one in every four foreigners working in Thailand used to be Japanese, the figure has now drifted to 23.8 per cent of the foreign workforce. 

There are various reasons behind this trend. Relatively stagnant economies in traditional trading and investing partners, such as the US, Japan and Europe, mean companies from those countries have reduced the amount they spend on sending executives overseas. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/opinion/30303702

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-09

Working-class Chinese, including expats, are more educated and therefore, more civilised, than the average Chinese tourist. This means they are less rude and less raucous. I have bumped into quite a few at some restaurants and bars, and sometimes I have to strain to hear them speak, although I was at the next table (no, eavesdropping isn't my hobby - I'm just curious to hear what language is being spoken). This bunch is different from some of the loud and rude ones, most of whom are 'farm fresh' i.e. straight from the farm to the rest of the world. 

As others have said, the expat Chinese can be quite different from the Chinese tourists you may encounter at the airport (yelling down corridors or cutting queues). I have a Chinese expat friend who complains about them more than me. She even says she can't understand why 'they' have to talk so loud and be so rude... makes her embarrassed of holding her passport. Possibly like the typical Brit back when their football hooligan brethren used to terrorise Europe...  

42 minutes ago, outsider said:

Working-class Chinese, including expats, are more educated and therefore, more civilised, than the average Chinese tourist. This means they are less rude and less raucous. I have bumped into quite a few at some restaurants and bars, and sometimes I have to strain to hear them speak, although I was at the next table (no, eavesdropping isn't my hobby - I'm just curious to hear what language is being spoken). This bunch is different from some of the loud and rude ones, most of whom are 'farm fresh' i.e. straight from the farm to the rest of the world. 

Expat Chinese are very well mannered, speak good english, are polite and kind and great to have a conversation with.

Funny thing is they don't know much about Asian food which amazes me. I met one who had never seen peanutsauce before.

The Chinese expats are very happy to be out of China and breathe "fresh" air.

56 minutes ago, outsider said:

Taiwanese?

46 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

More educated ones will settle in Thailand. I know a lot of mainland educated Chinese. Most of them can't stand their own country. They're not stupid and they don't believe anything their asinine government tells them.

Do they believe anything the Thai  ********  Government tells them?

20 minutes ago, puukao said:

I would MUCH rather hear Chinese than English.

Why?

One thing for sure, I bet they don't sit at home all day criticizing Thailand on a Chinese Expat Forum.

They'll be learning the language and integrating and forming a REAL community, helping each other out, unlike the white Westerners here.

It will be interesting  to see how the Chinese  treat the Thais once they have a strong hold in Thailand.

I don't  think  they will treat the Thais as good as farrang  would.  They ain't  liked much now  in Chang Mai.   But Farrang  are only walking  dirty Dollars.  Sorry for the sad Truth.   

3 hours ago, Lupatria said:

In schoolbooks it is said Thailand has never been colonized or occupied. It was- by Chinese sperms.

And Thailand is the lucky one. Look at the progress of Indonesia, with their suppression of their Chinese...

53 minutes ago, Clarinet man said:

It will be interesting  to see how the Chinese  treat the Thais once they have a strong hold in Thailand.

I don't  think  they will treat the Thais as good as farrang  would.  They ain't  liked much now  in Chang Mai.   But Farrang  are only walking  dirty Dollars.  Sorry for the sad Truth.   

..."walking dirty dollars"...sad, sick response for

a Newbie.....you might be happier back in

your own country

Not sure why all the "bad mouthing" of Chinese People, MANY of my friends are Chinese and I have yet to meet a complete a-hole.

I am Aussie, loads of Chinese over in Oz, I hope more come to help us build Australia - great people. There are many more nationalities causing problems in OZ, Chinese barely figure on the radar..

Just my 2c worth

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

More educated ones will settle in Thailand. I know a lot of mainland educated Chinese. Most of them can't stand their own country. They're not stupid and they don't believe anything their asinine government tells them.

Yes a lot of people are yanking their yuan out of China before controls come. These expats are well aware first hand of what is going on there. I have to laugh at economists urging investors to invest in this closed society. They need a 6.5% economic growth pattern to show the rest of the world and they will as Captain Kirk stated "Make it so" China is a master at telling the world what it wants to hear. China scares me but then it should not I am to old to be affected by their tentacles encircling the globe. 

1 hour ago, trogers said:

And Thailand is the lucky one. Look at the progress of Indonesia, with their suppression of their Chinese...

The progress of Indonesia owes much to the Chinese or rather straits born Chinese. Just look at their top 50 wealthiest men and 90% are of Chinese descent. They have re-invested in Indonesia and contributed to its success. The Indonesia government acknowledged the contribution and added Chinese New Year as national public holidays. This came soon after the ugly racial riot in Jakarta Chinatown. There are really no suppression of the Chinese and the racial recognition is mutual. The straits born Chinese also understand that they have to assimilate into the Indonesia culture and adopted Indonesian names.  

'On track to be the next province to be colonized by the Chinese, so none of this is much of a surprise.   When you catch on to this, the single internet gateway, Article 44, the latest computer crimes law and roundup, "enhanced" immigration procedures, anti-defamation,  etc. - it all sort o' comes together and begins to make much more sense.  To a Chinese, the relative freedom from Beijingerie must seem like heaven, but that'll gradually change as Thailand is Burmanated. 

'On track to be the next province to be colonized by the Chinese, so none of this is much of a surprise.   When you catch on to this, the single internet gateway, Article 44, the latest computer crimes law and roundup, "enhanced" immigration procedures, anti-defamation,  etc. - it all sort o' comes together and begins to make much more sense.  To a Chinese, the relative freedom from Beijingerie must seem like heaven, but that'll gradually change as Thailand is Burmanated. 

Nothing need for such colonization.... Most of the Elite here already have Chinese heritage! Historically the rich here are not from Siam, but China!

1 hour ago, wakeupplease said:

Chinese tell you what they think you want to hear, English tell you the truth and sometimes the truth hurts does it not

Some people

I went to Church and they spoke English.  Was this the truth?

I went to buy a used car.  What this the truth?

I voted for Trump.  Did they all speak the truth?

Are you fluent in Chinese and the zillion dialects?

sometimes talking with someone with a brain hurts.

Many Chinese here in Chiang Mai, many of whom have their kids in schools here which they believe offer better but cheaper education then similar schools in China. Nearly all are of the "middle class", generally pleasant unassuming people who simply want a better life for their kids than they feel China offers. 

From what they tell us many more on the way.  1507625.GIF