Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

It's just some idiots vandalizing. Okay, so they're flags, but once you start taking that personally, that's when it becomes a problem. Some drunk idiots tearing down flags isn't the end of the world. Flags are just cloth with colour. If you start seeing them as too much of a symbol and people trying to destroy and undermine your way of life, you have a very wobbly way of life. 

I remember a TV show where they invited different nationalities to a hotel by the sea for free. They were doing a social experiment with different nationalities but the guests didn't know. They did stuff like have people shower naked by the pool to see how different nationalities reacted. Some were shocked, some were loving it, and some were outright offended. They had one where the different nationalities would find their flag burned. Some nationalities were in tears. Some were just confused and like "What's that all about" and quickly moved on. If that would bring you to tears, you'd have to ask where your priorities lie. 

If someone burned my flag and said "I hate your country" I'd like "Okay, good for you". I would absolutely not get offended. We live in a world where people are starving, systemic corruption and people killing over religion. Let's not get too carried away with this notion that we're special because we have a flag and a identity. 

Find the perps, give them a fine and a warning and move on with your life. It's way too short. Be offended by the people telling you to be offended. 

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rip down a flag: get fined and/or go to prison.

Destroy a forest: mai pen rai.

Note:  thousands of rai of green forested properties are rendered flat clay - then covered with concrete/asphalt/buildings .....every week in Thailand.  Thai authorities have no problem with that, because it reeks of money.

1 hour ago, thai006 said:

most falang  who come to thailand no have brain 

An opportunity to let us know how you feel about falang? Was that you who posted the first (and only) comment on the YouTube video?

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

Whilst I agree it is silly to do this in this country and people should respect the laws and traditions, however, in the UK for example you would be lucky to find a flag so not to offend foreigners and the union jack is often burned but no arrests. I know it is different  here and I am not condoning their actions but just pointing it out.

They should consider themselves lucky they did not try to destroy any flags used in the remembrance of the King.  It could mean prison for a very long time. 

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, thai006 said:

most falang  who come to thailand no have brain 

Come now.. this is the silliest statement I have heard, how can you

generalize 2 idiots with many millions of law abiding tourists?....

These are the IDIOTS who come to Thailand.  "Oh, this is just like back in college.  Or just like back in the military.  Or just like after my shift at Wal-mart".  YOU WILL BE EXPOSED for the idiot you are when you come here......I hope they get 100-years in prison.  

Many Italians that come here are loud, rude, and obnoxious.  Like 8/10 that I meet.  Don't worry, 9/10 brits are bad and about 7/10 americans are bad.  

I got drunk and killed someone while driving....can i just apologize profusely?  are you 10?  

Hire a hitman and have him commit a murder for you- released on bail as you're a doctor and therefor basically a good person.

Rip down a flag (which I agree is wrong) and face the full force of the law- gotta love it!

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. The two Italian boys were obviously drunk. Another dare you to do this drunken game gone wrong. "Dare you to pull that flag down", "there, your turn", "Ha, I pulled down 4 flags, I win", "Quick let's get out of here before we get busted"
We've all heard of people making an idiot of themselves abroad. This is all it is. Nothing like say an Iraqi burning a flag of America.
What a fuss!
Facebook gossipers again I conclude.

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

The idea that someone deserves to be imprisoned for vandalising a piece of material went out with the dinosaurs. They did wrong. 

They deserve to be punished. 

Imprisoned. No. 

Deportation and blacklist would be fair in this case. 

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

The idea that someone deserves to be imprisoned for vandalising a piece of material went out with the dinosaurs. They did wrong. 

They deserve to be punished. 

Imprisoned. No. 

Deportation and blacklist would be fair in this case. 

A fine....Nobody likes a fine.....Folk learn from fines...

1 hour ago, Dizer said:

You are wrong , many countries have laws against flag desecration. Even in USA, you could still be charged with arson, larceny or other crimes if the said flag does not belong to you..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You clearly did not read your link.

You will not be punished as a foreigner to the USA even if you take a dump on the flag of the USA.

Read and post correctly please.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

"Most people in Thailand don't know the meaning of the word respect."

That claim means  most   residing foreigners, visitors, as in tourists,  and Thai people do not know the meaning of respect.   Correct?

No

Was not talking about tourists or foreigners.

Edited by onemorechang

Wow...this country has problems. Two youths rip down 5 tiny flags and this make national news. I wish in my home country we would "just" have problems with immigrants like this. They openly spit on the culture of their host country but have no problem to collect welfare.