Savannakhet SETV

Living in Thailand for many years I can tell you that Thailand has been linked in to the global credit and debit card systems for a long time, allowing foreign cardholders to make cash withdrawals from ATM's in Thailand. Also online banking allows for foreign account holders to initiate foreign transfers to Thailand from the comfort of a chair in Thailand or Savannakhet. It is really easy and has been for many years. In this way funds outside of Thailand may be accessed from Thailand.

Same here and I sure if the UK can do it so can German banks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, wobalt said:

My bank card is not a debit card...of cause you could initiate online transfers but if you do not have a Account here...WU?.

You have online banking, do you not? You should be able to print out your German statement whilst in Savannakhet. In Laos, they have the internet.

Et voila, you now have the required documentation to get your Single Entry Tourist Visa. :wai:

Just now, wobalt said:

So why then they do not accept CASH??

The reason they do not accept cash is, I assume, it is not directly tied to ownership whilst a bank account is more clearly tied to a person.

Have you been to the consulate in Savannakhet? If they accepted cash there would be a service set up, with people passing the same 20,000 Baht down the line. :clap2:

In addition, it allows the Consulate a little look at your financial history, perhaps as extra information.

On a wider note, I consider myself a 'solutions' person. What is the challenge? What is the goal? Can I meet it? What must I do to achieve it? You appear to be a 'problems' person, focusing more on problems and immersing yourself in the unfairness and the suffering. You should try to rise above this and consider what it is you are trying to achieve.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wobalt said:

So why then they do not accept CASH??

Because there would be no record of it being shown. They want something that can be attached to the application form.

I guess a person could try making copies of the cash and attach it to the application. :smile:

• Like 1

Because there would be no record of it being shown. They want something that can be attached to the application form.
I guess a person could try making copies of the cash and attach it to the application. [emoji2]

That's probably illegal because you are producing counterfeit money lol

The reason they do not accept cash is, I assume, it is not directly tied to ownership whilst a bank account is more clearly tied to a person.
 My bank account is tied to my company

Have you been to the consulate in Savannakhet? If they accepted cash there would be a service set up, with people passing the same 20,000 Baht down the line. :clap2:

Possibly

In addition, it allows the Consulate a little look at your financial history, perhaps as extra information.

Maybe, but would you provide that beside the overall balance..

On a wider note, I consider myself a 'solutions' person. What is the challenge? What is the goal? Can I meet it? What must I do to achieve it? You appear to be a 'problems' person, focusing more on problems and immersing yourself in the unfairness and the suffering. You should try to rise above this and consider what it is you are trying to achieve.
Good for you..my task as government advisor is to identify problems and then of cause solutions

2 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

It was in Savannakhet.

When you pass the border the immigration might ask you to show 20,000 in cash, bank-statements are not accepted for that so its really turn to a catch 22!
On the other hand how can you be expected to have a up to date bank-statement from a bank in your home country if you are a tourist in Thailand and applying for a new visa in Laos... the only way that you can have an up to date bank-statement is if you have a Thai bank account and that you shouldn't have if you are only a tourist!

Yes, I made a similar observation awhile back, when it was reported that HCMC only allowed bank-statements for proof of funds.  "Statement" at the consulate (printout ok), then "cash" at the border/airport.

The acceptance of long-term leases and Thai bank books at consulates are, in my opinion, evidence that long-stayers who can afford these visa runs, and can "show them the money" every time, are being tolerated for serial Tourist Visas - at least for the time-being.   The authorities may have some internal-numbers which indicate we make a significant contribution. 

20 minutes ago, juice777 said:

That's probably illegal because you are producing counterfeit money lol

I don't think making black and white copies of them would be considered counterfeiting.

I can recall a news story about 3 years ago of immigration taking pictures of seven 100 dollar bills shown as  proof at a border crossing.

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I guess a person could try making copies of the cash and attach it to the application. :smile:

If they give me an METV, they could attach my 20k in cash to the application.

Btw, It's ok to use a Tha Bank statement. I used it, and other members reported it too.

Foreign Bank Cards works fine in TH. Some cards are restricted to use it outside of Europe or US. In my case, I was able to activate Thailand by online banking.

Nowadays, common printers don't scan cash. The printer recognize it as cash and stop to scan. Even Photoshop refuse to open a picture which contains a bank note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Edited by alocacoc

Could be working, if signed by the applicant. Another option could be that the consulate would provide a new form for that purpose..

53 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, I made a similar observation awhile back, when it was reported that HCMC only allowed bank-statements for proof of funds.  "Statement" at the consulate (printout ok), then "cash" at the border/airport.

The acceptance of long-term leases and Thai bank books at consulates are, in my opinion, evidence that long-stayers who can afford these visa runs, and can "show them the money" every time, are being tolerated for serial Tourist Visas - at least for the time-being.   The authorities may have some internal-numbers which indicate we make a significant contribution. 

A friend was at HCMC 3 weeks ago, he showed cash, he actually showed them 40k

This was accepted but on another day who knows 

It would be wise to take both cash and statement when travelling to obtain a SETV, then if you were asked to show cash at the Airport then you are prepared 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think making black and white copies of them would be considered counterfeiting.

I can recall a news story about 3 years ago of immigration taking pictures of seven 100 dollar bills shown as  proof at a border crossing.

If it is US-Notes, the law is that it cannot reasonably be mistaken as valid. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Modern photocopy machines and printers actually have firmware that will refuse to copy banknotes of major currencies. This may not apply to back-and-white copies though. I am not sure.

(repost from incorrect thread)

I was here yesterday, and 3 people in front didn't have either proof of 20k in bank account (one guy had 20k cash which was rejected), &/or an outbound ticket.

All were turned away regardless of the arguments made .

It seems it would just be easier to have the correct docs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, firewight said:

I was here yesterday, and 3 people in front didn't have either proof of 20k in bank account (one guy had 20k cash which was rejected), &/or an outbound ticket.

I would suggest that many people are still unaware of the new requirements, only a small fraction of people read this forum and there is nothing or little on Google

A friend of mine went 2 weeks ago, he was totally unaware of the new requirements until luckily for him I bumped into him 2 days before he went and I was able to inform him, otherwise he would have been rejected

I would suggest that many people are still unaware of the new requirements, only a small fraction of people read this forum and there is nothing or little on Google

A friend of mine went 2 weeks ago, he was totally unaware of the new requirements until luckily for him I bumped into him 2 days before he went and I was able to inform him, otherwise he would have been rejected

Yep TV saved the day for me with out a doubt.

1 hour ago, firewight said:

Nice report, firewight.

Did the 3 rejected applicants say there were going to try again the next day? Or did they just head for the bridge in the Savannakhet version of Wacky Races?

Nice report, firewight.
Did the 3 rejected applicants say there were going to try again the next day? Or did they just head for the bridge in the Savannakhet version of Wacky Races?

If it's wacky races I got you down as Dick
Dastardly mate lol

Nice report, firewight.

I know at least one guy who didn't have an outbound ticket eventually got his visa, as he was walking away from the counter I waved him over and told him about the website flyonward.

I saw him the next day picking up his visa, he stopped and thanked me for my help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 1:13 PM, firewight said:

..or just go to Vientiane where it takes 2 minutes in and back out if you have your forms filled.

It seems 'easy' has currently flipped the opposite way in Laos...no doubt it will flip back later in the ever-shifting sands of 'easy' and 'current rules'.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2017 at 2:15 PM, darrendsd said:

Being unaware caught up with me today.  After receiving 30+ SETV over the past 10 years (all coming from the Savannakhet consulate)...  they rejected me for the first time for not having an outbound travel ticket. Can that requirement be realistically satisfied with a cheap, one-way, throw-away ticket from BKK to KUL on AirAsia or similar? Or does flyonward.com really work for $10 to satisfy this?

Edited by danfred

Being unaware caught up with me today.  After receiving 30+ SETV over the past 10 years (all coming from the Savannakhet consulate)...  they rejected me for the first time for not having an outbound travel ticket. Can that requirement be realistically satisfied with a cheap, one-way, throw-away ticket from BKK to KUL on AirAsia or similar? Or does flyonward.com really work for $10 to satisfy this?

I've been asked for outbound ticket at most consulates. Cheap BKK-KUL tickets worked every time.

I was there also on 30th jan. Not huge amount of people but about 80% looked be walking away with what papers they had and passport. Some people even adding the normal 1000bt tourist visa fee as a sweatener but that didn't work either . Took about 45 minutes do under half queue length from entrance door to counter. People in a panic and running to copy shops and internet shops as some banks hard log into from laos internet.

Be prepared or be prepared go home is moto here, i got my collection slip but most didn't and many too dim to put the paperwork together in a week let alone an hour or next day. Was a few boiler room type bums caught out and for best really as if can't support yourself in Thailand or have gumption to research and work with visa requirements you best shipping off home and getting daddy buy your ticket if you been blown dry, this was sorry mess of one young guy i spoke with :-/

• Like 1

Yes and you will need a bank statement aswell.