Victim of Samui sword attack speaks out

webfact

Victim of Samui sword attack speaks out

sword_attack_3.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- On the 9th of May 2016 a US citizen was attacked and badly wounded in a knife attack in Koh Samui.

The attack took place in Nathon, close to the location of the old immigration office. During the attack the victim suffered horrendous wounds to his head and legs, immediately after the attack he posted this video clip to YouTube.

At the time of the attack victim Timothy Claus, 32, was living and working on Koh Samui. Finding himself in need of extra workmen for a carpentry project he approached another company for staff and was introduced to 32 year old Mr. Chaiyarat Imkong known to his friends as Sam. Timothy provided tools for Sam to use for a few days prior to the attack.

On the day of the attack Timothy went to pick up the tools from Sam’s room. According to Timothy when he arrived Sam’s was ‘high’ and watching cartoons and quickly became agitated and grabbed a sword. Timothy, sensing danger ran. Once outside Timothy was kicked by a second man causing him to fall to the ground before being struck in the arm, thigh and abdomen by a sword wielding Sam. Timothy then got up and ran towards a group of people before being cornered. His attacker told onlookers to disperse if they did not wish to be hurt. It was then Timothy took another blow, this time to his head.

sam_the_attacker.png

Timothy told the Samui Times “After the blow/strike to the head I waited for him to raise the sword, then grabbed his wrist with my left hand. He then used both his hands on my left hand. He was so high and strong he pulled my shoulder out of the socket. I still have his fingernail marks on my wrist today. All I could do was hold on. I had no use of my arm but managed to keep my grip. I turned him around, knocked him down and put my knee on his hand with the sword and held him down. The police were there within seconds.”

After the attack Timothy was treated at the Nathon / Samui hospital. His shoulder was re-set and his head wound was partially sutured before was then taken to the Bangkok Samui Hospital where he was admitted for further treatment. His ear was sewn back together and his head wound was re-sutured, the muscles in his leg were sewn back together in a “multi-level” procedure and he was monitored for brain damage.

After the attack Timothy used only one crutch, the damage to his shoulder prevented him from using two. He operated with his right arm and left leg, his ability to walk was further hampered by two broken toes. Today, six months later, he still suffers pain in his ankle and his ear is crooked.

The man who attacked Timothy was apprehended after the attack and held for approximately seven months. He told police that Timothy had punched him, however a hospital examination of the man showed no marks on his body. It then transpired the man had recently been released from jail where he served three years for a violent crime, he also had several prior drug offences under his belt.

In December 2016 the attacker was charged with fighting before being released on time served on remand.

Timothy told the Samui Times –

“I just want to start off by saying I love Thailand. I love Thailand because it is a great country in its entirety, not because I’m the kind of person who goes there for holiday and falls in love with the tourist lifestyle. I was invited to work in the Kingdom and I certainly have my choice of countries to live in, being the holder of a US passport.

I have lived and worked in many countries. I am a well-educated and open-minded individual. I chose Thailand as my home base for 7 years while working internationally, and I was planning my future based around living in Thailand.

Anyone who has lived in Thailand, or any developing country, knows that the legal system isn’t perfect but for the most part; good people are helped and bad people are punished.

In my seven years I’ve had very little dealings with the police or any ugly situations. I’ve seen everything that could possible happen in others’ lives around me. I never imagined that I would nearly become another death “statistic” whether in a traffic accident or act of violence.

In my country I was a registered DEFENSE CONTRACTOR working with the ATF, US Marshals, and DOD. I am/was licensed to carry firearms and authorized to use deadly force. If this had happened there I would have shot the man dead after the first two strikes.

(I was hit 5 times, three times before clip 1 and twice after. The first three did not cut me because of clothing and defense tactics).

If I shot him I would have not been seriously injured and I would have been within my rights.

Knowing how things can go horribly wrong, depending on several factors, I chose to try to defuse the situation with words whether than defend myself in an offensive manor. I still believe if I would have disarmed him earlier I would be the one in jail. As it would have gotten messy.

I am now exercising my ability to travel, work and live in any country. The Thai justice system is unjust and this disgusts me. The entire system has been let down by one prejudice person.

I am not sure if I will ever live in Thailand again, unless I find justice in knowing that the lady judge, Miss Pimsasi Chunsawang, is seriously reprimanded or disrobed, she does not deserve to sit on the bench. I sold my company, house and vehicles in the days after the trial. I liquidated everything for a fraction of its value. I was so let down I couldn’t stay for another moment.

I was so certain that the man would serve the minimum 12 year sentence. When they let him go I felt like the country I called home for so long had not only let me down but twisted the knife in my wound.”

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/victim-of-samui-sword-attack-speaks-out/

samuitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Samui Times 2017-01-10

Jesus weapt, 7 months in the nick for attacking a guy with a sword. The cops / justice system again proving itself to be an utter embarrassment and abomination to boot.

The victim is right in calling for the judge to be disrobed. And good on Samui times for having the balls to publish her name. Although a defamation or computer crimes suit for carrying distorted content or some other such BS will soon follow surely ?

What a disgusting story and outcome.........7 months for this vicious attack!!  

As Tim says......he has more disgust for the judge and legal system than for thai people.Who would blame him!!

Ok...Time for an open message to all thais whoever they may be...

:  If you keep letting violent offenders like this scum to get off so lightly,what may have worked in the past will not

work in the future.The internet will expose you on many platforms and to put it plain and simply....the tourists will

abandon thailand  like the plague...

Whoever again tells me there is not one law for thais and one for foreigners is a complete fool....

This offender by the looks of it,served more time for drug offences than this crime......

Thailand.......wake up!..........You've got this all back-to-front

#thegoodimageofthailand:smile:

58 minutes ago, clockman said:

As long as patronage and the slander and libel laws exist. Thailand will remain as a third world.

i will put it to you that it will become 4th world if the current mindset continues         4-7years!

The irony of it all will be that they need the army.The place is a powder-keg

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

But quick.. Best lock up a couple of lads who pull a flag down.. 

... and quick in finding scapegoats if the killers are connected with money - like on one infamous island

what an absolutely disgusting outcome, this needs publicity, judges havent got a clue. and 7 months for this brutal attack, still waiting to hear about the outcome of the cops sons who killed the crippled baker, anybody ?? or has it died a death, i think that is the case in this country, wait a while and it will go out of the publics interest,

4 hours ago, z42 said:

Jesus weapt, 7 months in the nick for attacking a guy with a sword. The cops / justice system again proving itself to be an utter embarrassment and abomination to boot.

The victim is right in calling for the judge to be disrobed. And good on Samui times for having the balls to publish her name. Although a defamation or computer crimes suit for carrying distorted content or some other such BS will soon follow surely ?

Considering the attacker is a previous offender, with proven violent and drug taking tendencies. He isn't wealthy, or seemingly well connected. So all the normal routes to advantage wouldn't apply.

Must be some reason he was treated so leniently - or was it simply because the victim, who did absolutely nothing wrong, was a farang?

And this is what you never read in the brochures printed for Hayes and Jarvis,or kuoni,when they want you to visit 'Amazing Thailand' They have what they call 'real reviews' from customers,but i bet they wouldnt print this guy's review. And this doesnt only happen to guys that work,or live here.Remember the Hua Hin 4

Considering the attacker is a previous offender, with proven violent and drug taking tendencies. He isn't wealthy, or seemingly well connected. So all the normal routes to advantage wouldn't apply.
Must be some reason he was treated so leniently - or was it simply because the victim, who did absolutely nothing wrong, was a farang?

Not because he was a farang. Remember the cop that was shot point blank in the head at a Bophut gas station 2/3 years ago, with CCTV coverage for everybody to see? Nothing was heard about the shòoter ever being sentenced (relative of a local 'mafia' boss).
But why this slasher should be treated so leniently is really strange, repeat offenders on meth are normally dealt with harshly by Thai police.

28 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Without any doubt, it's all down to being a farang.

As an example, I was recently rear ended on my motorcycle, 

by another motorcyclist with three passengers on their bike.

No head lights on, and no license plate on the bike either.

It was in Maenam, 

near the traffic light, 

when I pulled out of 7-11 I was struck from behind.

Smashed the motorcycle up good, 

and I had to be transferred to the hospital.

I asked to be taken to Koh Samui Hospital, 

since I have a social security card for my health insurance, 

but the truck / ambulance took me to Thai International Hospital instead.

I couldn't see where we were going since I was laying down in the back.

Once we arrived, and I realized where I was, they ambulance wasn't interested in carting me to Nathon.

So while I asked the nurse to call my wife, to come pick me up, so I could be transferred off to Nathon, 

the Ambulance took off with my helmet inside their vehicle. 

Two days later I'm asked to come to the police station to sort the accident out.

Apparently the two days were given, because the other motorcyclist was injured badly, 

and of course he was taken directly to Koh Samui hospital.

Once I arrived @ the Police station, at the time I was provided to be there.

I was left to wait for 4 hrs for the others to arrive, which had hit me on their motorcycle.

When I asked the police if these guys had a license?

I was asked to produce mine, which I did.

The other driver didn't have one, 

so the Police stated he would have to keep mine until the matter was resolved.

I was like what matter?

I was struck from behind, which is clear to see from the damage to the motorcycle.

I have three eye witnesses statements written out in Thai, from Thai's; describing the accident.

What's the matter which justifies my license being held for?

The other party can't afford to pay for any damage or hospital bills, 

is the matter, the police stated.

Of course only after going through the documents I had to provide, 

and at least a 45 minute discussion with the other party, 

which was 4 hrs late to show up.

Then the police finally explain to my wife, 

both parties are badly hurt, 

and the motorcycle that hit me, 

is still @ the police station in Maenam, 

not repairable, so it's best to just write this accident off

I'm like if it had been my fault, the police wouldn't be willing to just write it off, 

nor would the Thai's which are claiming they are injured.

I'm the one with a broken leg and my motorcycle in the shop, 

waiting to get put back together, at a cost of more than 10,000 bht.

Go to court you might ask...?

Tried to get the case forwarded to the courts,

Police wouldn't provide the police report to us.

So in the end nothing happened to them, 

who are not even from Koh Samui, 

just labor working @ one of the hotels on the island, 

but their rights are far more important than mine.

Police stated as some might here on TV, 

don't like it...go back to your country.

I would have, but I have children, 

and a business here in Samui.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Yup, unless he is in her family.

6 hours ago, clockman said:

As long as patronage and the slander and libel laws exist. Thailand will remain as a third world.

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what an absolutely disgusting outcome, this needs publicity, judges havent got a clue. and 7 months for this brutal attack, still waiting to hear about the outcome of the cops sons who killed the crippled baker, anybody ?? or has it died a death, i think that is the case in this country, wait a while and it will go out of the publics interest,

Please just a bit of good news about thailand not that crap that comes from TAT Tim hope you are ok now > Hey Guys when are you leaving as it looks like our time is up here in this godforsaken sh------

Thainess minority style

Well stop complaining...you farangs still want to come here and contribute to the economy. You are all never united and really most of you have no self-respect. Decent self-respecting farangs would avoid a place that treats them like dirt and also help spread the word around.

There is no such thing as a fair fight, or being a nice guy by trying to defuse things with a man with a sword. There is only one thing to remember, Live or Die! I see any attacker as a reason to fight to the death, there is no reason I or any of my family should have to suffer even a scratch due to being assaulted by anyone. If someone attempts to assault you, hit them back with deadly force, your life may depend on it. 

By all means THIS is is a scandalous horror story,

This deserves an open letter to PM Prayuth as no jurisdiction in Surat Thani Province operates as such under any laws other than a free spirits jungle with all of them being brothers.

There is no law, to protect anyone from attacks under any circumstances for killing, we all know it, in no islands it is safe any more or had ever been in the past.

I wonder why I have never met, up to now visiting those islands, anyone from Bangkok Thai residents because they know it is danger but to attract tourism to allow, Bangkokian taking a cut, the islanders owners to make money they are all part of the conspiracy.

It is extremely sad to read this story, very lucky this victim is so smart to have avoided the worse the attaquant was also lucky to be left alive and now if released from prison living free his karma will be his master.

16 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Well stop complaining...you farangs still want to come here and contribute to the economy. You are all never united and really most of you have no self-respect. Decent self-respecting farangs would avoid a place that treats them like dirt and also help spread the word around.

Haven't you noticed many have and are. Tourists are not coming unless you really do believe the TAT Lady.

sad thing is many Farangs put their trust in Thailand and sold up back home married and have children here and many just cannot afford to move as they have been bled dry

But I can say ,close by is another country that treats you well and they have far more educated people who can speak English thus can move forward in the worlds eye

unlike My former love Thailand, sad to say.

Should have been colonized may have learned the meaning of respect

Archived