Birth hospital cost

roulax

Hello everyone,

A few years ago, my thai wife gave birth (natural without complication, no caesarian surgery) to our first daughter in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. Being an expat at the time, all the fees were handled by our international insurance, but i still happened to sign the bill which was roughly 120kTHB. 

During the pregnancy, the doctor asked my wife if we would use our insurance or if we would pay by ourselves, because in the latter case the cost would be only approx. 50 kTHB.

I have been localized by my company and the insurance provided by them does not cover birth/doctor consults/ vaccination etc... We are having a second baby this year and I will so pay by myself.

Does anyone know the real cost of a natural birth in a international hospital (Bangkok Pattaya or Bangkok Rayong)?

Thanks

The approximate costs at private 5 star hospitals such as Bangkok Pattaya hospital etc. is more than 100K. Doesn't matter paid by insurance or your own self. I had a kid born at Samitivej hospital and paid around 130K in cash. Normal delivery. C-section costs around 200K.

Costs vary greatly by hospital. And periodically some have promotions.

However what you really need to worry about is not the cost of a normal delivery but what it will cost you if anything goes wrong with either mother or baby. A stay in a Neonatal ICU can run to several thousand dollars US per day easily. Many a family has ended up with serious problems because they selected an expensive private hospital because the package price for delivery was within their means.  (see this old thread for starters http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/715999-fee-10000-per-day-no-acceptable-move-from-hospitalhelp/ )

For which reason I would strongly advise against BPH or similiar high end (cost wise) hospital even if the delivery fee is affordable.

Suggest you look into  Phyathai Sri Racha or Pattaya Memorial Hospital. The latter will be cheaper but does not AFAIK have a NICU so if any problems they'd have to transfer the baby elsewhere.

Also do not rule out Pattaya City Hospital. It is possible to get a private room.

BTW as a Thai national your wife is entitled to free care, however would have to be at the government hospital which covers the area where she is registered in a tabian ban....and at a government hospital you would not be able to be present in the delivery room (among other inconveniences). For which reason it may be worth it to you to pay for delivery privately but even if you do, I suggest arranging to change her tabian ban listing to match where you currently reside so that in case of any serious complications she (and your children) can readily avail of free care.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

at a government hospital you would not be able to be present in the delivery room (among other inconveniences).

That may be true at some government hospitals but I was present in the delivery room when my twins were born cesarean section.

I thank you all very much for your advice. We had a great experience last time in BPH with an extremely professional doctor and excellent service. I also consider that since my wife gave birth to 2 kids before, the risks of any complication is certainly not close to zero, but much less risky than for a first birth.

Anyhow thanks to Sheryl for sharing that story in Burmungrad - It is indeed important to keep this in mind.

Sheryl's post is the most important and gives you all guidance needed.
8 years ago our second child was born. I had a company insurance with enough coverage for normal or cesarean at Bangkok International. So we went there. Unfortunately we had some troubles including 2 weeks NICU. That cost us (after long negotiations with hospital) still 600k more than the insurance cover provided. Be careful!

• 1 month later...

Why are yous paying anything for your child's delivery? Your wife goes to the government hospital that she's registered at and it's all free. Unless you want her to have a private room costing 1,000 Baht per night. I'm really amazed as to why some use a private hospital.

We have 3 kids all born at the government hospital. If I were to have more it would be government for sure.

Edited by sinbin