New Pick up Truck

jimmyyy

I have been looking at the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Triton etc.  Basically i need a 4 door truck, not four wheel drive with a auto transmission.  I have about 900K to put down on it.  I am married and I am pretty sure the wife can finance the rest of it.  So basic question which one would be best in the long run, cost of parts, over all best truck for Thailand.  Use will mostly be in Khon Kaen, driving to the village (pretty crap road) and the occasional trip to Hua Hin or another beach location for a short holiday. 

I am not really a car guy, in the states I always had Ford or chevy pick up trucks.  Any advise from a motor guy would be most appreciated. 

I have been looking at the Ford Ranger, Toyota Hilux, Triton etc.  Basically i need a 4 door truck, not four wheel drive with a auto transmission.  I have about 900K to put down on it.  I am married and I am pretty sure the wife can finance the rest of it.  So basic question which one would be best in the long run, cost of parts, over all best truck for Thailand.  Use will mostly be in Khon Kaen, driving to the village (pretty crap road) and the occasional trip to Hua Hin or another beach location for a short holiday. 

I am not really a car guy, in the states I always had Ford or chevy pick up trucks.  Any advise from a motor guy would be most appreciated. 

The Toyota Hilux Revo 4 door starts from 699,000 so well within budget

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, krabi local said:

The Toyota Hilux Revo 4 door starts from 699,000 so well within budget

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That wold be my choice as the OP states.."In the long run"...Reliability..

My friend has a 3.0 Auto Fortuner and as a second ride a new 2.4 manual Revo, he says it is great and quicker than the Fortuner..

The Ford ranger is about 30cm wider than the others (as is the Chevy Colorado) and also about 30cm longer in the cabin, which in the end makes a huge difference, I have Ford ranger and I am extremely happy with it, as is my family. I'm a big guy and have to climb into it, the vehicle was meant for big guys -- is my feeling. The Ranger XLT is very price worthy under 900k. The turbo makes it very strong in overtaking situation as well. The quality of car is so much more than the average sedan, You get 2 tons of vehicle for the same price as for a 1 ton sedan.

I guess it is all down to personal choice in the end, but I went for the Ranger....4 Door 2.2 litre automatic.....Baht870,000 on the road. Had it four months now..... very happy at the moment....regular trips Surin to Hua Hin, no problems.....( except recently found there is no heater in it.).......:crazy:

1 minute ago, AlQaholic said:

The Ford ranger is about 30cm wider than the others (as is the Chevy Colorado) and also about 30cm longer in the cabin, which in the end makes a huge difference, I have Ford ranger and I am extremely happy with it, as is my family. I'm a big guy and have to climb into it, the vehicle was meant for big guys -- is my feeling. The Ranger XLT is very price worthy under 900k. The turbo makes it very strong in overtaking situation as well. The quality of car is so much more than the average sedan, You get 2 tons of vehicle for the same price as for a 1 ton sedan.

Spot on...could not have put it better as I am 1.89cm ( 6foot three inch in old money )..

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I guess it is all down to personal choice in the end, but I went for the Ranger....4 Door 2.2 litre automatic.....Baht870,000 on the road. Had it four months now..... very happy at the moment....regular trips Surin to Hua Hin, no problems.....( except recently found there is no heater in it.).......:crazy:

Wow, you bought your's exactly the same time as I did:shock1::smile:

Toyotas are the easiest to service if something happens in Nakhon Nowhere. Well, at least it was true for the Vigos. Not sure how much of the spare parts the Revos share with the Vigos but I'm sure that in the near future that'll stand for the Revos too.

I've rented several Revos and they're incredibly smooth to drive and quiet. A real progress compared to the Vigos.

4 hours ago, transam said:

That wold be my choice as the OP states.."In the long run"...Reliability..

My friend has a 3.0 Auto Fortuner and as a second ride a new 2.4 manual Revo, he says it is great and quicker than the Fortuner..

A Toyota truck is a good choice ... provided you can ignore 'buyers remorse' ... just don't drive a wildtrak after you have parted with your cash ☺

2 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

A Toyota truck is a good choice ... provided you can ignore 'buyers remorse' ... just don't drive a wildtrak after you have parted with your cash ☺

Yep, after near 10 years of Toyota reliability with my truck I look forward to stories from other brands regarding that time period.... b0211.gif

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Spot on...could not have put it better as I am 1.89cm ( 6foot three inch in old money )..

I'm 6' 2 1/2" and find the Triton more than ample for leg and headroom, and the Triton an still manage down the narrow streets in Pattaya, it's not the size of a Humvee.

If I had the extra money I would definitely check out the Ford T6 Ranger, it is a beast of a truck (I would want to take a test drive first though to make sure the steering has been improved - The earlier Ranger 4WD had a terrible lock to lock range, it was about half the range that you got in 2 wheel drive mode)

For reliability and service / repair then I would have to go with Toyota - I have owned a Tiger 4 x 4 EFI - 3.0L Diesel for the past 13 years, it has almost 300K on the clock and has only had the rubber gaiters on the front drive shafts replaced twice. Never let me down, just regular servicing i.e. regular oil changes, clean the air filters etc. Really reliable machine. (I replaced the shocks all round 3 years ago as they were getting a bit weak)

Can't speak for Mazda or any of the others as I have never owned one or known anyone who owned one.

4 hours ago, Black arab said:

Bought a Mazda pro 50 last june very pleased so far no problems very comfortable, leather interior the mrs got a decent deal at 777 ,000

Is this the Mazda BT 50? This is close to the Ranger in engine and spec and manufactured in Thailand

39 minutes ago, thurien said:

nobody comments on ISUZU, the #1 in the pickup market

Yes I have one 4 door 2.2 D Mac highlander. Fantastic drive good fuel economy I'm 6'5" plenty of leg room for me and back passengers even with drivers seat pushed right back. Carrying space at rear is nice and big for a 4 door. It has never skipped a beat in all the years we have had it. Serviced by me after the first 3 years which were free. Nice and high driving position as well.

All the manufacturers do a model that fits your requirements. they are all in the 800,000 baht range for auto's. 699,000 starting price is stick change.

I looked at the Ford, Nissan and Mitsu, and for me the better choice was the Mitsu, a year old now with 21,000 on the clock and i don't regret that decision.

go with what you like better. looks, price, extras, wheels, sat nav, rear cameras, head room, driving position, comfort, noise etc etc

Our 2.2 Ranger WT 2wd Aut from 2013 have been extremely good, it's comfortable for a truck and other cars gives you space.

Last Saturday when driving from IKEA and back to Pattaya there was a long stretch on the toll way with not too much traffic so I set the cruise control to 130km/h and I thought to myself, this is very comfortable (My son, 7 years old fell asleep). I stepped on it a couple of times and I saw +160km/h sometimes which is achieved pretty quickly, I think it will top out at about 170-175km/h which is plenty for me.

One time I was stuck in a muddy car park in Soi Buakhao in Pattaya and I first tried to slowly get myself out of there with as low rpm as possible but that didn't work so I gunned it. The truck slowly but surely slowly crabbed itself(standard road tires, original from new) out to firm ground and and the parking attendants was quite impressed when I stopped and paid. I made a hell of a mess on the road when driving on soi Buakhao heading towards central Pattaya road when all the mud started flying off and it took a while to get the truck cleaned after that, he-he. 

I fell safe in the truck, it's build like a tank, only problem we got is when parking in cramped parking spaces, then it's a bitch man.

Best looking truck on the Thai market, no doubt about that and there are more and more of them on the road now.

Service have been excellent at Ford Pattaya too, no complaints.

Edited by guzzi850m2

From my understanding that getting parts or repairs for the Fords takes a lot longer than the Toyotas. The Isuzu has a poor fit and finish compared to a Toyota. After driving the Toyota pickup I found it like most pickups pretty skittish from the back end....probably because a lack of cargo weight back there. I liked the height etc and plenty of metal around me. But eventually I got a 2017 Toyota Corolla Altis as we opted for comfort and plenty of airbags. This choice was based upon looking at a number of pickups and cars. Good luck with your purchase.

I read alot of car magazines and Japanese cars are Always reliable and in the top 10 of cars with less problems.

And because the Toyota is build in Thailand i guess the parts are cheap also.

But overhere the Ford Ranger was the most sold pick-up last year. And the tests weren't so bad either. Specialy the most powerfull version (diesel).

Road comfort, pulling 3.5 ton, general comfort, fuel consummation, ...

But why not choose for the automatic gearbox ? It's so easy and comfortable for driving. I would really  think about that or make a testdrive with both kind of, same, cars and make up your mind then.

I have doubts over long term reliability with  the  Ford, I have a Hilux 130k  km engine never a problem in fact nothing broken yet except consumables, dealer has been quite  good  but  i  will get a new truck this year and I will choose the Triton as I like the interior style better and its cheaper for the spacecab model I want ( dont need 4  full seats the 2+2 is ideal for us) its also 181ps

Its  a very personal choice but Japanes always does better in reliability in all the  vehicle tests etc.

At another level I Had a  friend who worked for Williams racing he said they would send parts out to Japan to be manufactured and he said what they got back was quite often incredible quality, in fact he  said sometimes Williams didnt  know how they had done it and these are companies at the top of their game.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/ranger/sports-utility-vehicle/owner-reviews

Having said  that I saw the Toyota has a tendency to roll over easily

Edited by kannot

Having said  that I saw the Toyota has a tendency to roll over easily

therein lies the problem why there are a lot of accidents with pick ups. People ie expats used to driving family cars move here and buy a pick up bigger wider longer completely diffrent road handling than there car. Try to treat it and drive it like a car hence rolling or hitting other vehicles. Won't go into Thais driving pick up/car/bike there are some good drivers but not many

17 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

You need to buy a new tape measure me thinks, A quick google search suggests  the dims for Ranger vs Revo (double cabs) is.

Ranger

5351mm long; 1850mm wide; 1848mm high

Revo

5330mm long; 1855mm wide; 1815mm high