What to mix with cement to make it mold resistant

Pik

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never had a problem with mold and cement in Thailand where l live what are you on about.

What a negative response to a very valid question. There's been several posts on this subject. Mold on concrete is a BIG problem during the wet season. At least where I live.

Today, I have contractors addressing this situation at our home. I certainly wouldn't be parting with over 55,000 baht if it wasn't a problem.

OP, PM me & I'll let you know what I'm doing, if you are interested.

Cheers to all, except Kwasaki. 

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never had a problem with mold and cement in Thailand where l live what are you on about.

Never had a problem, are you sure about that?

I have lived in 2 houses in different areas of Thailand, and had the same problem at both houses.

In fact i would say it is a serious problem all over the country.

its not the concrete going moldy, its the water laying on the surface that is skinning over to form the green alga/mold, concrete if left bare will mold over discolour, some sort of sealer/epoxy paint/tiles will prevent this

There are Anti mold paints from the major Thailand suppliers.

But killing existing mold first is important.
We are spraying 1 gallon (4 liters)
2 part (ltr) water,
1 part (ltr) 5% distilled vinegar
1 part (ltr) hydrogen peroxide.

And 1 cup of Boric Acid Powder
per gallon (4 ltr +/-).

5% hydrogen peroxide should be enough, found at pharmacies. But is small amounts and expensive.

We have 25 liter barrel of 50% HP,
But it is dangerous to use, and is overkill. Even if it was only 900 baht from a pool supply company.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Serious really !!  Not negative response at all we sweep and wash ours and keep it clean. :tongue:

Well, aren't you just a precious little trinket.  You don't think most people wash the affected areas ?

Unfortunately, in a lot of instances the concrete is very poor quality, finish, & no amount of washing will eliminate the problem permanently. If the concrete is even slightly porous, no amount of cleaning helps. I can pressure wash with detergent & then squeegee dry & the mold is back next morning. Very time consuming & unhealthy especially if young kids playing on the effected areas.

If you care to research the issue, including here on TV, you will find many have this problem.

Never ceases to amaze. OP posts a genuine question asking for advice. Along comes a Neville Nobody, & not knowing all the facts or at least asking the OP for more info, dives straight in with his negative & pointless comment.

If you don't have something positive, or at least humorous to contribute, why bother ???

Yes, I know, smart arse reply coming.

15 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Unfortunately, in a lot of instances the concrete is very poor quality, finish,

Sorry about the 55,000 giving you the hump  :biggrin: There ya go.

As said there are many quality sealers that are available in many home building supply shops if you have concrete problems it's not rocket science,  just google it.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Moss-and-Algae-on-Concrete-1.html

If it's possible In the first place you should make sure concrete is mixed properly with the correct additives & laid with falls.  :thumbsup:

Oh, a back pedal now. So you acknowledge there just might be an issue with mold on concrete. Even acknowledging additives available for such a problem. Well done you !

Don't really need your advice thanks Neville. I've been researching this topic for a lengthy time & have found a positive solution.

But, seeing you are so concerned, the concrete was laid prior to my arrival. I had no involvement in it's composition or laying.

Might I suggest you just quietly bow out. Your original comment was negative & incorrect. Best you don't attempt to squirm out now. 

I  very much doubt your sincerity about being sorry for my expenditure. Let's all just move on.

I used a product called Bondcrete in australia to seal a wall next to a pool made of cement based bricks, it stopped water penetration and mold growth, the same product may be available here with the same or a different name, i also mixed it into water based paint to stop mold growing and stop the paint peeling after a master painter recommended doing so

This topic bobs up every now and then, so I will give the reply i always contribute....USE Granulated Chlorine from a pool shop and mix a real strong brew in water....Broom it on the affected area, leave it a few minutes.....and preferably use a water blaster to wash it off.. 

It lasts about 6 months before you will need to repeat. Dont throw any leftover Chlorine mix out on the lawn....or it's gone..