yellow TamBan?

Ok, got my pink card but what a performance.

"You need another paper".

"What paper?"

"Paper WE give you with yellow book, only we didn't!

"Not my problem then, give me paper and I'll give it back to you"

"Cannot, too late, we'll write something out and you can sign it"

"???"

Umpteen papers later, copied, signed, copied again and I'm saying loudly to wife "Forget it, we write and complain to Ombudsman" but they still plodded on, wife not translating of course so completely in the dark.

But suddenly called up, wife has to fill in 3 more forms (????) and then taking photograph (they spent nearly 5 minutes faffing about posing me, one girl moving head a fraction, moving body a fraction until girl with camera announced she was satisfied, finally got the card printed and handed over.

Took 3 hours!

35 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

Our amphur was demanding all kinds of paperwork, which looked to me like a giant money pit with no promise of result.  I just said thanks and walked out.

The rules state which documents are required.

Yes, the amphur can ask for extra documents, but in that case you can ask for a letter stating which documents they want and why. This document must be signed by the neigh amphur, the chief administrative officer. (And you can go to administrative court to demand compensation if the court doesn't agree with the demands from the amphur).

As my old amphur explained when I had to deal with your problem at my new amphur, the amphur will in almost all cases back down. And so they did in my case.

The reason for extra documents is often that they can't read English and want official translations of all kind of things. Provide them with some official translations such as a work permit of marriage registration form and things will go smoother. They will not have an official reason to demand more than the rules require.

• Like 1

I have recently tried to open a new bank account - so far without success. Have produced marriage certificate, passport with long term visa, but then ...... do you have yellow book? when i say no, they say cannot open account .........

This may be some new regulations on proving eligibility but haven't seen anything on Thaivisa myself. Or maybe staff just lazy and stupid and don't want to ask boss for help. I don't foray into town much so haven't tried other branches yet, and already have one account at a Thai bank, but wanted to open an account at Krungsri (yellow bank). So i guess a yellow book is on the list, although my wife says waste of time (but she had never heard of it before i asked her a couple of years ago!). So it might become a more important document.

I have recently tried to open a new bank account - so far without success. Have produced marriage certificate, passport with long term visa, but then ...... do you have yellow book? when i say no, they say cannot open account .........

It is either the yellow tabien baan (which I got) or a new residence certificate every time you want to do something where an official address is needed, ie. by bike/car, open bank account, get drivers licence, buy house / condo etc. Residence certs can go into money...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app