Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I am fortunate that I am good looking so I always get quoted the best price at the gogos.

I know how you feel....Last time I was at the bars in Bangkok, the girls were buying me drinks.

And when we went to my room I asked her how much, she said she would give me 2,000 bath.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“…understanding why it’s done and remembering that it’s not intended as an insult toward you, personally.

It’s quite normal to have an emotional reaction to dual-pricing. Victims report feeling singled out, rejected, judged, stereotyped or even violated by episodes of dual pricing…The professor noted that it’s not worthwhile to get angry with institutional staff that employ a dual price system. They didn’t create the policy and may not even agree with it.

Ah Yes....The same reasoning and use of the "educated" that was used to justify slavery and apartheid in the past and continues to be used to justify their equivalents in the present fishing industry. Racism is racism, exploitation is exploitation, no matter how one tries to spin it for the sake of the profiteers.

The reason why it is done is they are lying cheating scum bags. And when they write it in thai that makes it worse. Its just another way way its high season now but its not along with the crazy exchange rate making their rice and coconuts too expensive

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

I take full advantage of my military discount. 

There are resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses, resident vs. non-resident theme park (Disney/Great Flags/Dorney Park/Sesame Place) pricing schedules, teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts...

I see no difference at all...

To the very best of my knowledge there is not in the uk

20 minutes ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

We can beat this topic to death. Debate the yes and no of the practice.  BOTTOM LINE...IT'S WRONG.

NOW... imagine every Thai would traveled abroad sharing stories of being told prices are higher for foreigners.  There would be a a flood of press, about which countries are ripping them off.  

HAVING, said that... the tourist quickly learn of this practice, yet...like lemmings, they line up in droves.

FURTHERMORE... it's no wonder, many tourist have no respect for culture, the environment etc. when the drive is TOURISM in hyperdrive.  

Thailand has never marketed itself as an Eco-Tourist destination.  It's draw is shopping, partying, and I won't mention the other vices. 

Amazing.jpg

Imagine every Thai would traveled abroad sharing stories of being told prices are higher for foreigners.

So did you not see the screen shot I posted that gives lower prices to local people at Disneyland, a place many Thai tourists might end up visiting?  I have yet to see any uproar in the Thai press about this.  Can you show me where Thais are screaming bloody murder about being charged more at Disneyland?  

When I see a sign at a Thai national park that says, "Thais X baht, White people Y baht, Black people Z baht" then I'll believe that it's racist or discriminatory.  As long as it's pricing based on giving Thais a lower price to use the public amenities for which belong to them and that they pay taxes for, I'm going to call rants like yours what they are, BS.   

4 minutes ago, helloagain said:

The reason why it is done is they are lying cheating scum bags. And when they write it in thai that makes it worse. Its just another way way its high season now but its not along with the crazy exchange rate making their rice and coconuts too expensive

Then don't come to Thailand.  Simple.  

It really boggles the mind when you see people get so upset and resentful over something like this or some other supposed indignity suffered by you poor white people, and yet you still jump on a plane or sell all your stuff and move to Thailand.  

Think of what this says about you.  If they are actually the lying, cheating, scum bags that you claim them to be, what kind of idiot are you to travel half way around the wold to keep handing them money?  

8 minutes ago, doggie1955 said:

I know how you feel....Last time I was at the bars in Bangkok, the girls were buying me drinks.

And when we went to my room I asked her how much, she said she would give me 2,000 bath.

You got ripped off, man.  I hear the girls are paying the really good looking guys 3,000+

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, digibum said:

I've seen my wife change clothes to go shopping because even though she's Thai, if they sense she has money they will try to charge her more.  

Anybody claiming this is racist or discrimination doesn't understand that Thais screw over Thais too.  It's not us against them. It's the fact that many Thais will try to make every last satang they can get.  If they sense you have money, they're going to try and get it.  

Exactly, my wife does it in her shop, she judges people on their car, if they look like an average earner, on a bike or in a pickup, she gives them the bottom line price straight off, if they are obviously rich, as in in a Fortuna, Merc or BMW, then she asks about three times as much, they can haggle is they want but normally they don't as they are rich, proud and happy to pay, we are yet to have a foreigner come to the shop, I guess she might do the same to them.  I don't see it as screwing them over though, her profit margin is tiny, the days when someone rich stops by are the only days she earns enough to make it worthwhile doing, basically those few rich Thai's subsidize all the other customers.

Many years ago I was with my first Thai girlfriend (as I said many years ago…)

We decided to go to the Grand Palace and I paid the foreigner/tourist fee while she paid nothing.

I was effectively a tourist at that time, so not too concerned but the lady on the ticket booth pointed out that there were 2 other palaces/attractions included in the fee.

So having done the Grand Palace with the hordes we jumped in a tuk-tuk and went to see one of the others. I can’t remember the name, but it looks like a Gothic cathedral and is often shown on TV with government personages preening themselves in front of it.

Now this was the most stupid aspect of the dual pricing policy; I was allowed in because I showed the ticket from the grand Palace but the girlfriend (a Thai national) was not, because she didn’t have a ticket!

I agree  that the dual pricing is based on racism and jealousy but I simply refuse to get my knickers in a twist about the equivalent of fifty cents or a dollar US. Prices on many of these items and services are still  a bargain, since I could never buy them in my home country. Not a big deal to me. I am more concerned about the attitude that Thai immigration seems to have that compels them to invent ways of making it difficult to stay here, even though our contribution to the local economy is many times that of most Thai people.

2 minutes ago, digibum said:

Imagine every Thai would traveled abroad sharing stories of being told prices are higher for foreigners.

So did you not see the screen shot I posted that gives lower prices to local people at Disneyland, a place many Thai tourists might end up visiting?  I have yet to see any uproar in the Thai press about this.  Can you show me where Thais are screaming bloody murder about being charged more at Disneyland?  

When I see a sign at a Thai national park that says, "Thais X baht, White people Y baht, Black people Z baht" then I'll believe that it's racist or discriminatory.  As long as it's pricing based on giving Thais a lower price to use the public amenities for which belong to them and that they pay taxes for, I'm going to call rants like yours what they are, BS.   

There is quite a difference between differentiating people based on their address and on skin colour.

At Disneyland, if anyone, from any country were living locally and able to produce proof of local residence they would receive the local rate. This policy deals with residence only,  Americans from other States face exactly the same policy. 

The National park issue is a little different IMO - If a work permit could get us foreigners in at the Thai price I would think differently. I see this a clumsy measures by those in positions of decision making power to squeeze more money, of course, this now manifests itself at the 'thin end of the 'racism' wedge'... 

Now, this 'thin end of the racism wedge' works for us and against us... As westerners we are often given the benefit of doubt, often treated more kindly, or perhaps with less indifference than Thai's treat each other because [in certain circumstances] we are perceived to be wealthier and thus afforded better treatment, conversely, because we may be perceived as being wealthier we are going to get squeezed a little more...  In much the same way, wealthier Thai's often end up paying little more for the same item than someone who's poorer and may haggle over more.

All of that said: this is a government policy, in my opinion it sends out the wrong message to Thai vendors, one which sanctions double charging, ultimately an issue which may impact the 'return tourist'.

Example: India - Many people Visit India once for the experience but rarely return. Thailand on the other hand relies on repeat tourism, people visit, like it and want to return. The importance on minimising the impact of any negative attitudes towards tourists cannot be emphasised enough. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is quite a difference between differentiating people based on their address and on skin colour.

At Disneyland, if anyone, from any country were living locally and able to produce proof of local residence they would receive the local rate. This policy deals with residence only,  Americans from other States face exactly the same policy. 

The National park issue is a little different IMO - If a work permit could get us foreigners in at the Thai price I would think differently. I see this a clumsy measures by those in positions of decision making power to squeeze more money, of course, this now manifests itself at the 'thin end of the 'racism' wedge'... 

Now, this 'thin end of the racism wedge' works for us and against us... As westerners we are often given the benefit of doubt, often treated more kindly, or perhaps with less indifference than Thai's treat each other because [in certain circumstances] we are perceived to be wealthier and thus afforded better treatment, conversely, because we may be perceived as being wealthier we are going to get squeezed a little more...  In much the same way, wealthier Thai's often end up paying little more for the same item than someone who's poorer and may haggle over more.

All of that said: this is a government policy, in my opinion it sends out the wrong message to Thai vendors, one which sanctions double charging, ultimately an issue which may impact the 'return tourist'.

Example: India - Many people Visit India once for the experience but rarely return. Thailand on the other hand relies on repeat tourism, people visit, like it and want to return. The importance on minimising the impact of any negative attitudes towards tourists cannot be emphasised enough. 

How have you arrived at the conclusion that Thailand is reliant on repeat tourism?  Numbers are up and revenue is up, the supposed importance of emphasis of this imagined impact does not reflect in any statistics.

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

Exactly, my wife does it in her shop, she judges people on their car, if they look like an average earner, on a bike or in a pickup, she gives them the bottom line price straight off, if they are obviously rich, as in in a Fortuna, Merc or BMW, then she asks about three times as much, they can haggle is they want but normally they don't as they are rich, proud and happy to pay, we are yet to have a foreigner come to the shop, I guess she might do the same to them.  I don't see it as screwing them over though, her profit margin is tiny, the days when someone rich stops by are the only days she earns enough to make it worthwhile doing, basically those few rich Thai's subsidize all the other customers.

I think that's the part a lot of people don't get.  They only see this as a farang issue.  

I remember having a conversation with my wife many years ago and she said "I don't understand farangs.  In Thailand if you pay a lot of money for something you tell people so you gain face.  You have money and can pay.  Farangs always talk about how little they pay."

After being married a few years and her having lived in the US for much of that time, she gets it now.  Now she's the master negotiator.  Last time we bought a car, I got the price down as far as I could and was ready to sign and she jumped in and got another $500 off the price.  And while her friends back in Thailand are on Facebook bragging about how much they pay for everything, she's posting about how much she's saving.  I was joking with her and asked about "gaining face" and said, "I don't care about gaining face.  I'm gaining cash."  

I don't know this for a fact, but it's been my observation that Thais with money don't mind it the same way many farangs do when they pay more than they should have.  Obviously nobody wants to get completely ripped off but if someone like your wife charges an extra 100 baht on a 1500 baht item they don't have the same reaction.  They know it's not racism (like many people here are claiming).  It's just people trying to get what they can.  

I also think that because most farangs come from cultures where there isn't a lot of haggling on prices, they have a hard time asserting themselves in a constructive manner.  

• Like 1

It's not only Thailand, tho I did get annoyed once when two Indian ladies in Saris, were charged the local rate for the Chiang Mai Botanical Gardens, and I was hit with the farang rate.

In Bali, Indonesia, there used to be a fee for farangs going to the beach.  Locals free.  The public toilet there had a sign announcing the cost to use the toilet.  The prices written in English were double that written in Indonesian, so when I had to go, I paid the local fee and said to the gate-keeper, 'Indonesian pee thank you' and gave him the correct money.

Maybe if I ever get to read Thai, I could try the same method!!

As a matter of interest, admission to most musea, beaches etc in China are free for us oldies.  Just show the pension card and they let you in with a smile.

• Like 1

In Thailand, everyone has been taught that all Farang (foreigners) are rich. It is on TV which we call Soap Operas, they call "Lacorn".

Same slow moving dramas like "Days of Our Lives" USA or "Coronation Street" British.

You can be a toothless old retired guy on a small pension from the Railways where you once worked, but to a Thai you are rich.

I used to say I rented the Condo/Apartment I own , to try and show some humility,  and tell them I am certainly not rich.

One said to me "well if you are not rich (I also drive an SUV I own) who is?"

I have totally given up, and gone the other way, a Thai girl once saw a picture on my computer of our whole resort, 56 apartments and

asked "you own all them?", I said nothing but let her believe I did. It was amazing the things she would do after that to be the "the next Thai girl to rip me off"

(I was just getting over being robbed by a 27yo Thai girl that I took pity on,  as she was a widow so young , and was not even sleeping with her).

I have since gotten over it,  and stopped punishing all Thai girls, for the crime of one of them. But if you have been taught since childhood that one legitimate way

to get rich is "marry or somehow rob a Farang",  and that all Farang are rich no matter what they say, of course duel pricing seems totally fair.

It is like non-Americans thinking all Yanks are loud mouthed arrogant and boastful that write their names in HUGE letters on everything they own. Plus

seem to have an unwritten law, “we never apologise or ever admit any wrongdoing”. Just because most seem to be like that one shoould not think all are.

N Simmons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, digibum said:

I think that's the part a lot of people don't get.  They only see this as a farang issue.  

I remember having a conversation with my wife many years ago and she said "I don't understand farangs.  In Thailand if you pay a lot of money for something you tell people so you gain face.  You have money and can pay.  Farangs always talk about how little they pay."

After being married a few years and her having lived in the US for much of that time, she gets it now.  Now she's the master negotiator.  Last time we bought a car, I got the price down as far as I could and was ready to sign and she jumped in and got another $500 off the price.  And while her friends back in Thailand are on Facebook bragging about how much they pay for everything, she's posting about how much she's saving.  I was joking with her and asked about "gaining face" and said, "I don't care about gaining face.  I'm gaining cash."  

I don't know this for a fact, but it's been my observation that Thais with money don't mind it the same way many farangs do when they pay more than they should have.  Obviously nobody wants to get completely ripped off but if someone like your wife charges an extra 100 baht on a 1500 baht item they don't have the same reaction.  They know it's not racism (like many people here are claiming).  It's just people trying to get what they can.  

I also think that because most farangs come from cultures where there isn't a lot of haggling on prices, they have a hard time asserting themselves in a constructive manner.  

I think the issue is reflective of the attitude of a lot of the expats, who did not come to Thailand to spend but came to save.  If you go to Dubai you will see a different attitude among the expats, one of showing off about how much the things they have are worth and not much talk of bargain hunting.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oxx said:

Of course, the government leads the way with dual pricing for tourist attractions.  The little people (and some not so little people) are only following their government's glorious example.

Another way to look at it is that attractions are charged at such a low rate in any case that the tourist pays a normal price and the local Thai pays a discounted rate.  For example I pay 400bht to enter a National Park.  I pay the same amount to enter my local National Park.  But I can apply for several discounts for my local NP.  In fact no one in my family pays more than half price.  Tourists always have to pay full price.  Also, other posters whine on about paying too much at market stalls etc.  Well, learn the language and bargain.  And guess what, if in the West a regular comes into my shop, or someone I know well, or a family member they always get a better price than the casual customer.  When I visit the USA and buy a ta store I don't whine that I don't have all the discount cards etc that locals have.  It's called business.  The seller has the right to get as much as he can for a product or service and the buyer has the right to refuse to buy - that is the way trade has always worked. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Normally dual pricing doesn't bother me very much, but recently I went for a haircut, there is no price list so I assumed the usual price of 200 baht was in effect. When I was just about finished the woman asked her boss or coworker 200 or 250 Baht for farang?  I said I always pay 200baht, she said that she had raised the price for the new year, not knowing that I could understand their conversation. I will vote with my wallet as I usually do, they have seen the last of me.

Sorry, but you are getting ripped off at even 200 baht. I pay 80 baht here in the North.

14 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

I take full advantage of my military discount. 

There are resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses, resident vs. non-resident theme park (Disney/Great Flags/Dorney Park/Sesame Place) pricing schedules, teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts...

I see no difference at all...

The difference is people that live here, work here, pay tax her, retire here NEVER get treated as a resident. 

In America do you at the colour of a persons skin to decide the price?

Dressed up a "discount" is still dual pricing. 

The ten fold government pricing in National parks just encourages other people to do the same. 

Would you pay ten fold a local price to enter a USA national park? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of truth in there.  

I too agree that if you can prove that you live in Thailand, they should charge you the local fee.  I do however disagree that their motivation is racial in nature.  

In the US local pricing is given to anybody who can show an ID but the US is a very diverse culture with people from every corner of the world living there and claiming not just residency but citizenship.  

I think for your typical park ranger taking entrance fees, they just look and if you look Thai you get one price and if you don't look Thai you get the foreigner price.  It's fairly straightforward.  

I really don't think that they want to get into the issue of work permits and visas in terms of determining pricing.  It's laziness rather than racism.  It's just easier to make it for Thai citizens than to have some hot head farang yelling at them for 20 minutes because he left his passport at home but he insists he has a work permit and should pay 20 baht less.  

I'm fairly sure I paid the local rate when I went to Dream World many, many years ago.  I had a student visa at the time and they took one look at my visa stamp in the passport and gave me the lower rate.  

I've also been to some less touristy national parks and monuments with my wife and they've given us Thai prices.  Didn't even ask for it.  

And yes, our race does work in our favor, A LOT!!  Way more than most people realize.  But they don't complain about that when they get a pass while a Thai person has to jump through hoops.  

1 minute ago, fish monger said:

Sorry, but you are getting ripped off at even 200 baht. I pay 80 baht here in the North.

So, if in central London a hair cut costs 20 pounds but in Swansea it costs 4 pounds, you would be "getting ripped off" in London?  You seem to have no grasp on economics.  By the way, 80 baht is too much, you can get it cut in Eritrea for the equivalent of 10 baht.

In the US there are local discounts senior discounts, pricing based on where/when you buy 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination None of this is based on race or nationality.

Point of fact a Thai student can go to California on a student visa, enroll in public funded Colleges, get a drivers license or ID card. Then she can get all the LOCAL passes at Disneyland, student discounts, and State Parks Seasonal parking passes she wants. People would be outraged to hear "Oh here comes a  Foreigner, charge her more".  

In Thailand I see plenty driving around in Lamboghini etc that have 1000 times the money of an average white tourist "Farang hab munny can paaay". What a load of garbage. Dual pricing is the worst thing about this country, I avoid it as much as possible.The only exemption perhaps National parks which should be considered a birthright, and popular temples that are overrun by tourists who are not even Buddhist, not making Merit and taxing the facilities with their garbage and wastes

Dual pricing is totally racist and anachronistic as are the indefensible excuses of its apologists.

Edited by Dipterocarp
  • Like 2

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Thailand Average Monthly Wages

Well, "rich" is a relative term. So, what is the yardstick you are measuring against. Considering the above chart, I would assume that anyone who can afford an international flight, overseas vacation, hotel, and time off from work, would, in fact, be considered rich - it is a basis of comparison.   

6 minutes ago, chrissables said:

The difference is people that live here, work here, pay tax her, retire here NEVER get treated as a resident. 

In America do you at the colour of a persons skin to decide the price?

Dressed up a "discount" is still dual pricing. 

The ten fold government pricing in National parks just encourages other people to do the same. 

Would you pay ten fold a local price to enter a USA national park? 

Like I've said, I do think there should be an exception for people who live in Thailand (retirement visa, work permit, student visa, etc).  

That said, very, very few farangs ever become permanent residents of Thailand (which is quite different from simply renewing visas for many years).  And even fewer ever become citizens of Thailand.  

Given the rather homogenous nature of Thailand though, are they really basing it on the color of your skin or is it because you are not a citizen?  

8 minutes ago, Dipterocarp said:

In the US there are local discounts senior discounts, pricing based on where/when you buy 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_discrimination None of this is based on race or nationality.

Point of fact a Thai student can go to California on a student visa, enroll in public funded Colleges, get a drivers license or ID card. Then she can get all the LOCAL passes at Disneyland, student discounts, and State Parks Seasonal parking passes she wants. People would be outraged to hear "Oh here comes a  Foreigner, charge her more".  

In Thailand I see plenty driving around in Lamboghini etc that have 1000 times the money of an average white tourist "Farang hab munny can paaay". What a load of garbage. Dual pricing is the worst thing about this country, I avoid it as much as possible.The only exemption perhaps National parks which should be considered a birthright, and popular temples that are overrun by tourists who are not even Buddhist, not making Merit and taxing the facilities with their garbage and wastes

Dual pricing is totally racist and anachronistic as are the indefensible excuses of its apologists.

So, is it racism that county residents pay less for some attractions and public transport than other British people despite some people in those counties having flash cars?   By the way, none of the official Thai dual pricing is based on race, it is all based on citizenship; citizen does not equal race therefor this is not a race issue despite the mistakes some ticket collectors might make.

16 hours ago, jaltsc said:

“…understanding why it’s done and remembering that it’s not intended as an insult toward you, personally.

It’s quite normal to have an emotional reaction to dual-pricing. Victims report feeling singled out, rejected, judged, stereotyped or even violated by episodes of dual pricing…The professor noted that it’s not worthwhile to get angry with institutional staff that employ a dual price system. They didn’t create the policy and may not even agree with it.

Ah Yes....The same reasoning and use of the "educated" that was used to justify slavery and apartheid in the past and continues to be used to justify their equivalents in the present fishing industry. Racism is racism, exploitation is exploitation, no matter how one tries to spin it for the sake of the profiteers.

Spot on, jaltsc !

Cultural differences are one thing. Exploring them and trying to understand them is a great attitude to have when you're in a foreign country, even for a short while. even more so if you decide to settle there.

But dual-pricing is not about cultural difference, it's about taking advantage of visitors, just because you can. It not only violates the sacred principle of hospitality, which is essential in all Asian societies based on Confucean principles (and Thailand is in the top 10 list of those), it is also pathetically short-sighted and therefore stupid.

Why do Thais see it as normal ? It's only a matter of conditionning, like so many other things where human behaviour is concerned. I was born in the European Alps, in a valley where 90% of the income relied on tourism. Dual-pricing was the rule there too, whenever possible, and the locals didn't feel a bit guilty about doing it, because they too had been conditioned to think of tourists as cash cows, and they had developed an 'us and them' attitude which was deeply shocking.

About 40 years ago in Bali, I remember a hippie-type Swedish girl who had befriended an Indonesian guy from Jakarta, somewhere in a small resort on the East of the island. They stayed together in the girl's bungalow for 2 or 3 days, and then they decided to go to Kuta, about 60km away, using the local 'bemo' system, ie minivans. There was just one place left in the minivan, and the guy from Jakarta, a perfect gentleman, told her to get in - he would follow in the next minivan, and he would take all the luggage with him so she could travel light. They agreed to meet in a guest house in Kuta.

The guy never turned up. I was staying in that guest house and saw the Swedish girl sitting at the entrance for hours looking so despondent I asked her what the matter was and she explained what happened. Between tears, she told me the story, understanding that the guy had just left with everything, including her money and passport. Nothing in it surprised me much, but what left me totally dumbfounded was her conclusion : "You see, she said, I'm trying to understand why a guy would do that, and obviously it has to do with the cultural differences between us ..."

Edited by Yann55