Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Its only you who is avoiding the Japanese question, we are waiting, is it racist to offer foreigners a discount or not?

No. And I am sure you know why.

Edited by maxpower
Stuff

1 hour ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

I take full advantage of my military discount. 

There are resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses, resident vs. non-resident theme park (Disney/Great Flags/Dorney Park/Sesame Place) pricing schedules, teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts...

I see no difference at all...

How many eligible pers in the above group are then racially profiled and penalized at the entrances?

5 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Its just racist.

By racist people.

Why write a sermon about it.

say it the way it is.

RACIST.   :1zgarz5:

There is quite a difference between Racism and Price Gouging. You might also add profiteering?

Better look up the definition and see it's:

Price gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock: common examples include price increases of basic necessities after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some jurisdictions of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the former Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.

This is Racism
    Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior:

Just now, onthesoi said:

555 ...one silly Facebook image doesn't prove all Thais are racist nor does it substantiate your claim that Thais are taught to be racist as part of the national curriculum in schools.

What is funny is negative emphasis on Thais....yet you fail to see your own racism which is much more explicit than this silly facebook image.

You are an idiot. The image is from a banner that hangs in Thai schools. It isn't a one off made for Facebook. And Thais are taught to be racist. Google the words to the Thai national anthem and get back to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

There are resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses, resident vs. non-resident theme park (Disney/Great Flags/Dorney Park/Sesame Place) pricing schedules, teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts...

There's a clue is in the word 'resident' - someone who lives in a locality, regardless of nationality, race, religion etc., and can prove it. Same applies to all those other discounts you've mentioned. Would a teacher working in USA, with documentary proof of his status and of, say, British nationality be denied the discount purely because he's not an American citizen? I very much doubt it but it'd happen frequently in Thailand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sinbin said:

You are an idiot. The image is from a banner that hangs in Thai schools. It isn't a one off made for Facebook. And Thais are taught to be racist. Google the words to the Thai national anthem and get back to me.

If you could read Thai you would see that it says the name of the Facebook page it comes from on the bottom, it is a poster that may well have hung on a school wall but it is not ministry of education material.

Nothing racist in the Thai national anthem, what are you in about?

11 minutes ago, ezflip said:

Sorry, but there is a bigggggg difference there.

You are talking about discounts and we are talking about price increase. If a park charged entrance fee of 100฿ to everyone (no matter their nationality) but gave a discount to the locals, no one (thai and foreigners alike) would be crying foul. I am not against giving discounts to local people but against increasing prices based on race and/or status.

BTW; on a different note - China has extremely strict laws concerning double prices. Same for Singapore and Japan. So it cannot be said that it is an asian thing.

Japan has dual pricing, they give discounts for foreigners, perhaps it is an Asian thing, ;)

4 minutes ago, MartinL said:

There's a clue is in the word 'resident' - someone who lives in a locality, regardless of nationality, race, religion etc., and can prove it. Same applies to all those other discounts you've mentioned. Would a teacher working in USA, with documentary proof of his status and of, say, British nationality be denied the discount purely because he's not an American citizen? I very much doubt it but it'd happen frequently in Thailand.

You can get the Thai price if you get the pink card, simples.

43 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Thanks for the link :)

You're welcome mate, trust me this is a great shop.

If there are other very good online cheap shops please post them here and spread the word. Too bad the Thai can't read english or they would also buy there. If you have paypal it's very simple to buy there, just some clicks and it's done. No need to fill in addresses or numbers anymore.

6 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Resident doesn't necessarily just mean you live somewhere, it can also be an official status, not many expats apply for residency in Thailand, those that do get some benefits.

I never had this problem when I lived in Thailand. If a place operated dual pricing I just would not use it, nor would I buy tat from markets ... just stick to regular shops with a single price policy. Problem solved.

ultimately Thailand loses.

40 minutes ago, maxpower said:

No. And I am sure you know why.

If it is not racist to offer foreigners a discount in Japan while Japanese pay the full amount then how can it be racist to offer Thais a discount in Thailand while foreigners pay the full amount?

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

To understand duel pricing first foreigners have to understand the Thai attitudes and ways of thinking towards Farlangs.

For many years my Thai neighbours and girlfriend`s family considered me as the rich neighbourhood Farlang. Then later after getting to know me better and being witness to the type of lifestyle I lead they came to understand that I`m comfortable but not not rich. So to get around this, they now consider me as only being in Thailand because it`s cheaper for me to live here then in my native England and as a foreigner from a first world country I am taking advantage of the Thai people.

I tried numerous times to explain to them that I am here because I love Thailand, all my income comes from England that I spend in Thailand and in fact bringing money into the country. So I bring foreign money and invest it in Thailand and for that I can live a better lifestyle for cheaper, it`s a give and take, 50/50 on both sides. But no, there is no ways to convince them that I am not the one who benefits most from this arrangement.

My guess is that this is the general opinion of most Thais unless they have lived abroad therefore having a better understanding and more worldly experiences. Learning the Thai numbering system even fluently will not sway their opinions, this is a very hard nut to crack. I would not describe this exactly as racism but more like racial profiling. People from third world countries are all poor and therefore are of no benefits to the country, all black people must come from Africa, all south Asians must come from India and all Muslims must come from the middle east, the Burmese considered as a lower form of life in the scheme of things, and therefore automatically assumed poor and all white people are well off, good for Thailand`s economy but are taking advantage of the system and therefore should contribute more for the privilege of living here then the native Thai people. Unfortunately I cannot see these attitudes changing within the foreseeable future or within my lifetime.

When you said we must understand the Thai attitude and way of thinking towards fallangs, you really meant we should understand your families attitude and way of thinking toward you, and actually we don't because we have not all married into families with attitudes and ways of thinking like them.

1 hour ago, Canceraid said:

There is nothing to get angry about dual-pricing, instead what we foreigners should do is to react to it in a subtle manner ie avoid all places that practice dual-pricing and inform all your relatives and friends and also your media back home to ask people to avoid these places. Lobby your politicans back home to also put into place dual pricings policies only for thai people visiting there and also to lobby your governmenta nd media to stop assiting thailand in any way be it investments etc as they the thais practice dual -pricing and racism. Avoid all thai products back home and urge others and the media back home to support these moves. Never impart know=how or knowledge to thais and when there is such a need , practice dual pricings. Lobby all the pharmaceutical companies to sue companies in Thailadn making generic medicine and whn selling selling such medicine to thailand, sell it at very high exorbitant prices. etc etc

Sue companies for making generic medicine - how exactly is that going to work? There is nothing illegal about producing generic versions of drugs once the patent has expired: companies all over the world do it, it's how the industry works.

17 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I never had this problem when I lived in Thailand. If a place operated dual pricing I just would not use it, nor would I buy tat from markets ... just stick to regular shops with a single price policy. Problem solved.

ultimately Thailand loses.

Ultimately, Thailand will not feel the loss from you choosing not to visit one of the tourist attractions with dual pricing, but you might.

When recently visiting Khao Yai NP, i was charged 400 baht against my thai family at 50 baht each.  we were told that the driving licence of the foreigner doesn't cut it anymore , and that if i had a Thai foreigner residence ID card, ( Pink one ) but just like a Thai ID card, I would have got in for the same price as the family.  

2 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

USA: 

" ...teachers discounts, first responders discounts, police discounts..."

These are based on profession regardless of nationality.

I live in the USA and have never noticed discounts based on any of those 3 although I accept that in rare instances there are businesses which discount for those.

But it is not  nationwide discounts at almost all  businesses.

Also in all of the cases you cite the price is fixed and stated, it is not invented on the spot based on appearance/language etc.

If the pricing is listed in different languages, both prices are noted (e.g., resident and non-resident).

And none of the discounts you mentioned are based on nationality.

I.e., ' resident vs. non-resident fishing and hunting licenses" - the prices are discounted for people living within the state. Fellow USA citizens living outside the state are not discounted.

I see a big difference.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

What makes you think that site is cheaper than Thai venders? 

Experience ;) Ebay is also cheaper than thai vendors. Only drawback is that you have to wait for your purchase to arrive with the mail. There are very few hardware-, home- and electronic items i have not been able to find much cheaper online than going to a local vendor. The price you can get on banggood, ebay, aliexpress ect is typically the prise the vendor buys the items for retail before selling them to you with an advance ;)

2 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Ultimately, Thailand will not feel the loss from you choosing not to visit one of the tourist attractions with dual pricing, but you might.

That's the kind of logic people use when they can't be bothered to vote - what difference will one vote make anyway? In this case, there are many of us avoiding tourist attractions that practise double pricing, not just AlexRich so they might feel the loss eventually.

2 minutes ago, Mark123456 said:

That's the kind of logic people use when they can't be bothered to vote - what difference will one vote make anyway? In this case, there are many of us avoiding tourist attractions that practise double pricing, not just AlexRich so they might feel the loss eventually.

Its actually the kind of logic someone uses when they would rather see the attraction then protest against a sytem they don't actually disagree with anyway.  I happily pay the little extra and I get to see the most incredible bits of Thailand, your loss not theirs, trust me.

13 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

If it is not racist to offer foreigners a discount in Japan while Japanese pay the full amount then how can it be racist to offer Thais a discount in Thailand while foreigners pay the full amount?

Thais increase prices because they are greedy opportunists. The Japanese offer incentives to encourage tourism. Japan is an expensive country to visit for some.

Having said that, my posting before Thailand was Japan. I place the Japanese quite high on my racist list.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lowryderen said:

Experience ;) Ebay is also cheaper than thai vendors. Only drawback is that you have to wait for your purchase to arrive with the mail. There are very few hardware-, home- and electronic items i have not been able to find much cheaper online than going to a local vendor. The price you can get on banggood, ebay, aliexpress ect is typically the prise the vendor buys the items for retail before selling them to you with an advance ;)

I was thinking Thai online venders, small independents who use the platforms such as pantip, lwnshop etc, they are always so much cheaper than any of the big venders such as aliexpress and lazada.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Its actually the kind of logic someone uses when they would rather see the attraction then protest against a sytem they don't actually disagree with anyway.  I happily pay the little extra and I get to see the most incredible bits of Thailand, your loss not theirs, trust me.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. You seem to think that one person refusing to pay is not going to affect the tourist attractions in question; I'm merely pointing out that it's not just one person and it may well affect them in the long run. What you choose to do with your money is of course your own business but I've seen some of the tourist attractions that practise double pricing and trust me, I'm quite sure I'm not missing out on anything. It's a big old world and there are plenty of other places to visit outside of this country.

Edited by Mark123456