Intellectual Whore

Simbaya

4 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Equality in Thai women is not quite the same though because they are '2nd class' citizens just by looking at Buddhism. A male may reach Nirvana (or equivalent) but woman may not. So until those kind of ideas collapse, I fear many males would take advantage of that. Shame.

I think it's pretty established that the attraction of Thailand to some men is the relative lack of gender equality. They tend to code it in language about women remaining more feminine or knowing how to treat a man, but the subtext is clear - they're unhappy with the more equal role women have gained for themselves in the West, and prefer to turn back the clock by relocating somewhere where this process is largely yet to take hold.

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone taken the 'pupil' test? With some people it enlarges when the opposite sex is shown, with some people it doesn't. Have to admit I got a 'thumbs down'. It seems I was more interested in the math equation in the corner. Wonder if I'm a...

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

Has anyone taken the 'pupil' test? With some people it enlarges when the opposite sex is shown, with some people it doesn't. Have to admit I got a 'thumbs down'. It seems I was more interested in the math equation in the corner. Wonder if I'm a...

...closet mathematician?

3 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I think it's pretty established that the attraction of Thailand to some men is the relative lack of gender equality. They tend to code it in language about women remaining more feminine or knowing how to treat a man, but the subtext is clear - they're unhappy with the more equal role women have gained for themselves in the West, and prefer to turn back the clock by relocating somewhere where this process is largely yet to take hold.

Yes, I think there is some truth in that. However, I think we have separate the man that comes here wants more freedom to do what he wants and those who come here for what you mention.

1 minute ago, TKDfella said:

Yes, I think there is some truth in that. However, I think we have separate the man that comes here wants more freedom to do what he wants and those who come here for what you mention.

I was careful to refer to some men. I'm aware that plenty didn't come here for this reason - I certainly didn't.

I thought this thread was closed? I go away for 2 days and things go crazy. . 

Wonder if this thread can beat the rain one for most posts? 29 pages already so the subject is certainly interesting members and provoking interesting debate 

3 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yes, I did notice...nor did I.

Interestingly, as a man who didn't come here for the women, I often have my presence here questioned in a similar way to the OP - with people wondering why am I even here at all. To some, Thailand isn't just a boy's club, it's reserved for a certain kind of boy.

Just now, SoiBiker said:

Interestingly, as a man who didn't come here for the women, I often have my presence here questioned in a similar way to the OP - with people wondering why am I even here at all. To some, Thailand isn't just a boy's club, it's reserved for a certain kind of boy.

Not the same as me then. There is no single reason for me being here and it was an accumulation of things happening to me at the time. Certainly not for THE WOMEN but certainly my ex-Thai wife helped in making it easier.

1 hour ago, amykat said:

I wish people would stop doing this ...I am not the OP ..I wrote to you  ...but I am not the OP.

Yeah, but.. you're potentially the same. :)  

You're in the same Venn diagram with other Farang women so according to the OP's logic that's all kind of the same. :)

Remember this: 

On 1/16/2017 at 10:48 AM, Simbaya said:

I was thinking in terms of how some FARANG men disparage us FARANG women.  I was thinking of how some FARANG men also seemed to seek out an "intellectual" (or other) affair with us, quite possibly not revealing this to their THAI wives/GFs.

And although these were not the exact same men, I knew they were *potentially* the same (kind of) man, but I couldn't quite see how this "love/hate" dichotomy worked.

That's because it's not a dichotomy--it's an inter-relationship.

Here's where the Venn diagram comes in.

Picture one circle representing farang men who disparage us.  The men who have told me to "go home," called me a fat pig, the men who've trashed me and other women on this and other forums.

Picture the other circle representing men who are (IMO) not being exactly fair or truthful to their wives by asking to take me out or call me (in what seems kinda like a down-low deal).

The intersection of these two circles is the crux of it:

MEN WHO DON'T FULLY RESPECT WOMEN (farang OR their Thai wives).

Well, DUH!

Yeah, duh, or something. :crazy: 

1 minute ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Yeah, but.. you're potentially the same. :)  

You're in the same Venn diagram with other Farang women so according to the OP's logic that's all kind of the same. :)

What part of the Venn diagram are you referring to? Using inequality theory they don't have to be the same. 

2 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

When feminism first started it was about working outside the home, voting rights and such. Now it seems to me they've become a man-hating movement and they're bashing us all at every turn. So I'm not sure equality is what it's about now. It's turned into something more than that and it involves a lot of anger.

See above

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

Yes but the point being made is many of us read a different OP and that didnt happen in the 6 minutes indicated. 

It may have been edited more than once.

I don't think that the current forum software records any more than the latest edit.

46 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I think a lot of that is nonsense.. The (not true to my experiences at all) stereotype of the submissive asian female..  I note you dont have an asian wife, try it, they get things the way they want them just well enough. They perhaps dont attack the problem head on like a bill in a china shop but its no accident Thai women married to Thai men often control the finances, give the guy an allowance from his salary, and control a lot more than perhaps is assumed. 

Theres no PC sillyness, theres not a revolt against gender roles, theres no stupid like putting women in combat roles (and then having to reduce all the physical tests so they can pass, there isnt the affirmative action.. And yet without this Thailand has a very matriarchal society.. Hell look at who won the last few elections. 

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I think a lot of that is nonsense.. The (not true to my experiences at all) stereotype of the submissive asian female..  I note you dont have an asian wife, try it, they get things the way they want them just well enough. They perhaps dont attack the problem head on like a bill in a china shop but its no accident Thai women married to Thai men often control the finances, give the guy an allowance from his salary, and control a lot more than perhaps is assumed. 

Theres no PC sillyness, theres not a revolt against gender roles, theres no stupid like putting women in combat roles (and then having to reduce all the physical tests so they can pass, there isnt the affirmative action.. And yet without this Thailand has a very matriarchal society.. Hell look at who won the last few elections. 

My wife has no relevance here. I'm just commenting on the kind of things people say, not offering my own opinion.

32 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

I would understand that in some ways as Thailand offers so many frustrations.. The 4 D's (as a mate put it) the dirt, dishonesty, decrepitude, and driving theres a case of wondering why put up with it if for example you dont like bars and nightlife or some other major appeal to balance. 

I know now I no longer spend a great deal of time in the neon the appeals of here are pretty small.. Sure its kind of cheap, but that cheapness does come with a quality adjustment. If it wasnt for my wife a villa in southern portugal or similar would / and is, on my radar. 

1 minute ago, SoiBiker said:

My wife has no relevance here.

"Interestingly, as a man who didn't come here for the women, I often have my presence here questioned in a similar way to the OP"

Surely you can see why from the quote, not having an asian partner IS then relevant. If you had one, they wouldnt be questioning it.. 

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

"Interestingly, as a man who didn't come here for the women, I often have my presence here questioned in a similar way to the OP"

Surely you can see why from the quote, not having an asian partner IS then relevant. If you had one, they wouldnt be questioning it.. 

I didn't come here for the women either, but did end up marrying one.

BTW I'd be interested to hear how Thai women respond when hearing one is married to a Western woman.  Although that may be a different topic.  

Probably once married the spouse's nationality doesn't really matter all that much anymore. 

Maybe relatively more people (m/f/Thai/Farang) would perceive you as tourists rather than expats. And some other subtle differences.

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I would understand that in some ways as Thailand offers so many frustrations.. The 4 D's (as a mate put it) the dirt, dishonesty, decrepitude, and driving theres a case of wondering why put up with it if for example you dont like bars and nightlife or some other major appeal to balance. 

I know now I no longer spend a great deal of time in the neon the appeals of here are pretty small.. Sure its kind of cheap, but that cheapness does come with a quality adjustment. If it wasnt for my wife a villa in southern portugal or similar would / and is, on my radar. 

You might find life here frustrating. I rather enjoy it.

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

It's irrelevant to the bit you bolded, which I presumed you were referring to.

Archived