What happens to credit card and bank account when work permit is cancelled between changing jobs?

Hi,

What happens to the credit card and bank account from a Thai bank when the work permit is cancelled between changing jobs? Is the credit card and bank account immediately cancelled when work permit is cancelled?

Thanks.

Absolutely nothing happens. I've had the same credit card and bank account for 25 years and have even lived overseas. So long as you keep paying the bills and subscription fees they are happy to keep you as a customer. 

Absolutely nothing happens. I've had the same credit card and bank account for 25 years and have even lived overseas. So long as you keep paying the bills and subscription fees they are happy to keep you as a customer. 

This is correct.However I suspect the questioner had in mind the requirements when the accounts were opened.Certainly for full banking facilities at HSBC/Standard Chartered etc expats in the 1990's were usually expected to hold appropriate visas/ work permits and I think definitely so for credit cards.I'm aware the situation may have eased since then though probably not for credit cards.

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

This is correct.However I suspect the questioner had in mind the requirements when the accounts were opened.Certainly for full banking facilities at HSBC/Standard Chartered etc expats in the 1990's were usually expected to hold appropriate visas/ work permits and I think definitely so for credit cards.I'm aware the situation may have eased since then though probably not for credit cards.

The OP was asking what happens to existing accounts if a WP is cancelled and the answer is nothing at all. When you open a new account you definitely need to show a WP and pay slips, but I've never been asked to show them again for an account that was already open. I've never heard of anyone else having to do this either. 

• Like 1

I have no work permit because I don't work in Thailand .

i have a U.S. Social Security retirement pension paid monthly by direct deposit to my Thai bamk account.

I have two Thai bank accounts.

Both with Bangkok Bank.

One for my pension, one with an ATM card for my living expenses.

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

The OP was asking what happens to existing accounts if a WP is cancelled and the answer is nothing at all. When you open a new account you definitely need to show a WP and pay slips, but I've never been asked to show them again for an account that was already open. I've never heard of anyone else having to do this either. 

Totally incorrect, else how would a retiree open an account?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

you dont need a wp to have a cc or bank account,  how do u think us old guys get our SS checks direct depostied  LOL

...depending on the Bank and Branch...i can clearly state that it was required either for opening Accounts, and for sure when asking for Credit Cards,all of the well known Banks requiered WP for CC.

Though for a simple Savings Account it was fine without WP at SCB and Kasikorn, but NOT for Bangkok Bank.

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

Totally incorrect, else how would a retiree open an account?

Sorry for not differentiating bank accounts from credit cards. Any account that includes a credit facility, like a credit card, requires the WP and pay slips to set up. A simple savings account does not. My point was that even accounts with a credit facility, like a credit card, are not routinely rechecked for a WP and pay slips.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

you dont need a wp to have a cc or bank account,  how do u think us old guys get our SS checks direct depostied  LOL

I enquired about opening an account with Kassikorn last week. I was told I needed a work permit. A few years ago I enquired about an account at Kassikorn and was told I needed a residency visa of some sort.

Last week at Citibank, I asked about an account with the Bangkok branch. (I already have an Australian Citibank account).

Their answer was, with no mention of a residency visa 1,000,000 Baht as an opening deposit. Up until December 31, 2016 it was "only" 100,000 Baht. and a visa.

1. Rules change

2. Some don't know the official rules.

3. Some make up rules as they go along. (They have to give the impression that they know what they are talking about.)

For retirement visas, as I once understood, one needs 800,000 in a Thai bank for 6 months prior to applying for the visa. (unless that's changed now) , but, how does one open the account to put the money in the bank without the visa?

.. Just asking .. silly stupid dumb questions. .. chicken and the egg stuff.

Edited by TechnikaIII

From my experience, i got my first credit card in Thailand about 15 years ago while I was working there with a work permit. 2 years later my work contract was terminated as well as my WP. I never had a WP since that time. Since, my credit card as always been renewed. I even got a second credit card from the same bank (Bangkok Bank) and they are totally aware that I am not working in Thailand.
From my understanding, as long as you keep good record (pay your bills...) and you can provide proof of permanent address, it is fine. Also probably depend on bank branch.
Also, I never had any secured deposit amount in a separate account to secure the credit cards. I have a credit limit of 80,000b per card ( one Visa and one MasterCard).
During my WP time, I also applied for an Amex card as well. They gave me a gold card. Since, i still have it renew automaticaly. Amex knows that I am not working in Thailand and i just need to provide a certificate of residence every year. They even give me a suplementary card for my girlfriend ( living together for 11 years but not married) few years ago. There is no credit limit on my Amex cards.
I never been requested to show any evidence of incomes or Work Permit.
If it help...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

I enquired about opening an account with Kassikorn last week. I was told I needed a work permit. A few years ago I enquired about an account at Kassikorn and was told I needed a residency visa of some sort.

Last week at Citibank, I asked about an account with the Bangkok branch. (I already have an Australian Citibank account).

Their answer was, with no mention of a residency visa 1,000,000 Baht as an opening deposit. Up until December 31, 2016 it was "only" 100,000 Baht. and a visa.

1. Rules change

2. Some don't know the official rules.

3. Some make up rules as they go along. (They have to give the impression that they know what they are talking about.)

For retirement visas, as I once understood, one needs 800,000 in a Thai bank for 6 months prior to applying for the visa. (unless that's changed now) , but, how does one open the account to put the money in the bank without the visa?

.. Just asking .. silly stupid dumb questions. .. chicken and the egg stuff.

Simply apply to Kasikorn at a branch located in a mall frequented by farangs.

Then you wont be asking them to do something they don't know how to do.

5 hours ago, thetruth revealer said:

...depending on the Bank and Branch...i can clearly state that it was required either for opening Accounts, and for sure when asking for Credit Cards,all of the well known Banks requiered WP for CC.

Though for a simple Savings Account it was fine without WP at SCB and Kasikorn, but NOT for Bangkok Bank.

I have Both Kasikorn and BANGKOK bank without Visa, both made last year on Tourist visa. Difference in Kasikorn i n Kasikorn i needed 10 k Bath to open. Bankgkog i needed only 500 bath.

• Like 1

Keep copies of your work permit as you usually need to provide a copy to make international transfers. Of course they have no way of knowing if it's cancelled (and probably won't notice if it's expired either).

Aside from that, should make no difference at all.