Backpack or Man Bag?

Inspire

I've used man bags for years -  I have a few of varying sizes. Drives me nuts having my trouser pockets stuffed with phones, keys, glasses, tobacco etc. Apart from anything else, it makes my trousers fall down unless I have them uncomfortably tight. :smile: The only thing I keep in my back pocket is paper money. Not in a wallet, just folded. Years ago when I lived in Aus, my boss had a sideline as an on course bookie at Flemington, and sometimes to earn a few extra bob, I'd work on the bag for him. One of the first things he told me was never to keep my money in a wallet. Too easy for a pickpocket to slide out of your pocket, he said. Folded notes are much more difficult to pull out undetected. That was more than forty years ago, and I've never used a wallet since, apart from a small leather case for my cards.

8 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I use my pockets, usually crammed full. But carrying extra useful things, when needed means using a bag / case of some kind. 

iPad mini or iPad, note book, pens, sunglasses, keys, car keys, knife, flashlight, compass, passport (when required) forms, credit and other cards, etc etc.

I still keep my keys and wallet in my pockets always, get too many panic attacks if suddenly feel empty pockets! 

But some people just love all that loose change rattling around against the family jewels!

I've traveled Asia for 50 years without a purse--passport, tickets and credit cards in jacket or pants pockets; coins for tips or change to bills; cash, keys and knife in front pockets--of course, recently, I've had to buy a lot of pocket knives since I rarely check baggage. It's too easy to get your laundry done,  suits pressed, or buy another shirt. Since I've retired, I like to wear cargo shorts or pants. Plenty of pockets to carry much more stuff, but rarely do. And, I've worn the same 4 baht gold chain and Vietnamese Buddha since 1968.

I've traveled Asia for 50 years without a purse--passport, tickets and credit cards in jacket or pants pockets; coins for tips or change to bills; cash, keys and knife in front pockets--of course, recently, I've had to buy a lot of pocket knives since I rarely check baggage. It's too easy to get your laundry done,  suits pressed, or buy another shirt. Since I've retired, I like to wear cargo shorts or pants. Plenty of pockets to carry much more stuff, but rarely do. And, I've worn the same 4 baht gold chain and Vietnamese Buddha since 1968.

Good lad!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I wear a huge ruck sack so I can assault complete strangers on the BTS everytime I turn around.  I have an iFit watch in the rucksack so I can record the number of people I manage to hit.

Adding water bottles in the pockets of the rucksack can increase the range and enable a 'double-tap' assault.  Planning to add some key rings and 'cute' toys attached with clips to go for the full medieval weapon effect. 

21 hours ago, zorro1 said:

Never take it off. Putting it on the chair next to you at airports or food courts while your distracted eating or reading... Guess what will happen?

Mine is slinged across my body even when I am seated for a meal...would feel bare without it...

When I was in Vietnam, I had some incidents happen that were both not my fault or was my fault.  I either did not have a weapon or did not have enough ammo or did not have some other type of equipment needed to survive.  These were serious,  life or death incidents, that I survived. 

Almost 50 years later, when I go someplace I need a backpack with things that I might need, for what ever reason I may need them. 

Neither.....

If I need more than I can carry discretely in my pockets then I don't need it day to day....Wallet in zippered pocket, phone, keys, & folding money in other pockets....Easy to manage & protect....The phones help now - doubling for a camera....

Never have liked the belly pack or man purse & think the latter looks stupid (my opinion only), rarely see one that's smart looking (some do) - most look sloppy or unmatching/overly old/used up.....Many look like fading hippie bags, as do some of their owners....

We will sometimes pack a backpack for a couple of days trip as it's easy to toss over a shoulder going to a hotel or resort - but that is for a trip not general wandering/walking about....If going more cosmopolitan we have nice carry luggage for that....

Pretty easy the less you have to tote around....

The wife entrusted me with her nice expensive selfie stick a few days ago....I hooked it onto a belt loop & forgot about it - about an hour later I sat down to get a good picture angle & broke it (new parts now on order) ----------> guessing from now I won't be tasked to do that again ..... One less thing thing to worry about....

Guess if I did have a man purse with a wife & 2 daughters it would be as heavy as a bag of rocks & most of it wouldn't be my stuff - another good reason to avoid one....

Edited by pgrahmm
forgot forgot!