Is LPG worth it?

justaphase

Yesterday I put 500 baht worth of 95 gasohol and 300 of LPG in my car and drove 170km on the 95  (to Kanchanburi and around) and still had a little left. I switched to gas for the way home, another 145km and all the gas was gone by the time i was arrived. Umm..a bit cheaper but not really.

I saw on the tv a few years ago they were going to gradually raise the price of gas 25 satang a month or so, so eventually it would be the same price as petrol. That was in 2011 when it was 8 baht. I'm scared to death of a rear-ender with both my kids in the back so is it worth it?

Should i take my gas bottle out now?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the piddly amount saved and the potential risk to you and your family I would remove the gas ASAP.

What car do you have, will it run on E85 ?

only 1  good thing gas is for and that's cooking.

Edited by Don Mega

5 hours ago, justaphase said:

It's a  2.2 Camry, like i said I'm happy with the consumption using 95 gasohol. Is E85 cheaper still?

About 8b per litre cheaper but dont use it unless you know 100% your car is compatible.

I once had a mitsubishi attrage and initially thought having an LPG tank installed would help me save some money on running cost.. 

It took awhile to get my initial investment back..

Was it worth it? No.. I constantly had LPG smell in the cabin even though my installer was a professional one, not some somchai garage. And furthermore, I had 2 scare with a bumper accident, that was enough for me to sell the car and buy another one.. swearing off LPG forever. 

16 hours ago, justaphase said:

It's a  2.2 Camry, like i said I'm happy with the consumption using 95 gasohol. Is E85 cheaper still?

I swear by Gas.  My Camry is way cheaper to run on gas than petrol BUT I made sure I had a top of the line system installed and had it tuned to run on gas - that may have made a difference.  I also do big mileage - about 60k a year and keep all my receipts.  The car is now due to be retired having done 320k and the savings in fuel are big over that time.  If you do 10k a year I would forget it. I also have a tray back light truck on gas and quire frankly I could not afford to run it on petrol alone.

I just drove my NV from Samui to Sakon Nakhon on LPG. It was costing 11.99 per litre in the south and 14.70 in the north. Average fill was 500 baht in the south and I was getting 550 km from that so a little less than 1 baht per KM.

Just now, canthai55 said:

If it leaks - he ain' t no Pro

Tell that to the company that handles LPG/CNG installation offically for following:

- Police Vehicles 

- Inter-provincial vans 

- Mitubishi Lancer (CNG)

- Mitsubishi Triton (CNG) 

- etc.

I stand by what I said - if your installation leaks, and you can smell gas, by no stretch of the imagination is it a professional installation. Mine does not leak. Makes no difference who he installs it for - if yours is done properly it will not have leaked. Therefore - improper installation. Therefore - unprofessional

Edited by canthai55

If LPG is under 75% of the full price of petrol then you're making money. The mistake many people make is to tune their car to run on either LPG or petrol....this error ensures that your car will run badly on both! Either get rid of the petrol and run solely on LPG (preferred) or get rid of the gas and go for the petrol!

If your gas system is fitted correctly then there will be a cutout in the system that allows the tank to cut itself off in case of an accident, in any case, a properly fitted gas system will no more "explode in flames" than a properly fitted petrol tank!

LPG is used safely throughout the world, in million and millions of cars, check your fittings for leaks with soapy water and try not to let the tank get too hot.....that is all!  :wai:

21 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Definitely not worth it.

Re LPG Engine short life burns the valves , loads of people here in Thailand changed over to LPG & now having to change the Engine 

as there is no resale value on the engine Scrap value,

From a purely safety perspective.......

Petrol is at least as volatile as LPG, if not more so

Petrol tanks are much lighter grade steel than LPG tanks

Petrol tanks are generally under the trunk/boot floor, and further aft than an LPG tank so more vulnerable

My assessment is that petrol probably as dangerous as gas, or perhaps more dangerous??

Having said that, I don't often hear of gas or petrol tanks exploding as a result of being rear ended, so both are low risk as I see it.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

5 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

From a purely safety perspective.......

Petrol is at least as volatile as LPG, if not more so

Petrol tanks are much lighter grade steel than LPG tanks

Petrol tanks are generally under the trunk/boot floor, and further aft than an LPG tank so more vulnerable

My assessment is that petrol probably as dangerous as gas, or perhaps more dangerous??

Having said that, I don't often hear of gas or petrol tanks exploding as a result of being rear ended, so both are low risk as I see it.

LPG is stored at around 100psi, it's under pressure, it is a bomb IF the tank has a serious whack..

45 minutes ago, transam said:

LPG is stored at around 100ps

And CNG  is at 3000 PSI   so must be even more dangerous ?   why no panic about natural gas vehicles just LPG ?

don't both systems have a pressure relief  valve built in to the tank   the steel used is thick and hard to damage

the "myhbusters" even shot them with various calibres of ammunition   it took armour piercing incendiary bullets to cause a fire

and still the tank didn't explode.

I recall a number of UK rides did have the petrol tank in the boot, original mini and the Ford Capri did. I had an alloy tank made to go in the boot of my fun ride, together with a nitrous oxide bottle (1000psi) but l first sealed off the cabin with a sheet of steel...

13 hours ago, bontang said:

Re LPG Engine short life burns the valves , loads of people here in Thailand changed over to LPG & now having to change the Engine 

as there is no resale value on the engine Scrap value,

Yeah years ago that was the case of lead fuel vehicle as the LPG provided no upper cylinder lubricant, since the introduction of kead free fuel cylinder heads now have hardened valve seats and this is no longer an issue.

I agree if you drive many km per year the lpg will save you money but for the average driver its not worth the cost of a quality install versus ROI. And you E85 fans should look at BTU values comparing e85 and regular petrol,  yes that e85 is much cheaper but the loss in km/ltr does not add up to any savings. It will make you feel better not polluting as much burning all that alcohol.