Is LPG worth it?

justaphase

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a calculator at..www.elgas.com.au  but you have to search hard to find it. The calculator is supplied by an LPG seller.

In Mrs Js old Mazda Lantis she needs to use 95 which now costs 31.5Baht/Ltr. LPG costs approx 12Baht/Ltr.

For the above fuel prices the calculator showed a fuel cost saving of 16000+ Baht/year on a milage of 5000kms.

However you will use some gasoline so you need to take thst into account

Roughly you will get 15% to 20% less Km/Ltr using LPG...YMMV.

We now have to change the tank and valve as they are ten years old and at a cost of about 4500Baht.

How much does changing a car to LPG cost , and how many years / kilometers of "savings" does it take to get your "investment" back ?

and since I do not know , is there a way to put LPG in your car on the side of the road if you run out ?

a  Storage bottle like BBQs use ?

that was always the thought about EV cars  that you could not "refill" everywhere

Holland , Belgium and a lot of France have been running LPG for decades......

Edited by oldcarguy

12 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

How much does changing a car to LPG cost , and how many years / kilometers of "savings" does it take to get your "investment" back ?

and since I do not know , is there a way to put LPG in your car on the side of the road if you run out ?

a  Storage bottle like BBQs use ?

that was always the thought about EV cars  that you could not "refill" everywhere

Holland , Belgium and a lot of France have been running LPG for decades......

Run out of LPG - run on gasoline until you can fill up. Systems are switchable inside the cab, so you can use gasoline in the mountains where you will make more HP.

New multi-port LPG installation in CNX 30,000 baht

You will have to calculate how many km you drive per year - fuel costs in your area - see if it meets your requirements.

last time I looked (quite while ago ) it cost about 30,000 baht for an LPG conversion. since then the government has said it wants to narrow the gap in price between LPG and other fuel..so unless you do very high mileage rerurn on investment will take a long time.

There are a lot of LPG stations around when you start looking out for them...unfortunately there is no way to fill up (legally safely) with a cooking gas cylinder ,theoretically it should be possible with the correct pipework and couplings.
When I had an LPG powered car with a broken conventional (petrol) fuel pump I ran out of gas about 300 meters from the LPG pump would have been extremely handy to have some sort of portable filling station come to me instead of having to go buy a rope and scrounge a tow from a neighbor.

12 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Why BS, haven't you heard of gas tanks exploding in a accident, like the recent explosion that caused the death of 25 people involving a gas powered commuter van

Gas was fuelling that fire but the tank did not explode.Most likely a ruptured gas line and the safety shut off malfunctioned.

Edited by Don Mega

9 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Gas was fuelling that fire but the tank did not explode.Most likely a ruptured gas line and the safety shut off malfunctioned.

They are still all dead mate and i do not think they froze to death

25 dead out of 27 from memory

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

They are still all dead mate and i do not think they froze to death

25 dead out of 27 from memory

And yet you claim the cause is an exploding gas cylinder, You should get your facts in order before running your mouth.

I thought the cause was the pickup that crossed the road and plowed straight into them.

Edited by Don Mega

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And yet you claim the cause is an exploding gas cylinder, You should get your facts in order before running your mouth.

You have a nice day to sport,sounds like you need one

the deaths were causes by gas believe it or not, what difference does it make if its a ruptured tank or gas line or explosion, they are all still dead and the culprit was a gas powered vehicle 

Edited by madmax2

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Mine has stock ignition system, with the addition of Iridium spark plugs. 200K trouble free

My LPG shop (Reform LPG systems) installed what they said were specially suited spark plugs. But I get lots of stalling, at idle/with the aircon on 60%.

Idle using petrol/air con  = no stalls. I wonder why?

On 1/15/2017 at 7:18 AM, justaphase said:

Yesterday I put 500 baht worth of 95 gasohol and 300 of LPG in my car and drove 170km on the 95  (to Kanchanburi and around) and still had a little left. I switched to gas for the way home, another 145km and all the gas was gone by the time i was arrived. Umm..a bit cheaper but not really.

I saw on the tv a few years ago they were going to gradually raise the price of gas 25 satang a month or so, so eventually it would be the same price as petrol. That was in 2011 when it was 8 baht. I'm scared to death of a rear-ender with both my kids in the back so is it worth it?

Should i take my gas bottle out now?

800 Baht of fuel bought you 170kms?  My Honda City will give me over 400kms for that money on a run.  If you're using LPG to save money maybe you should get a vehicle with a smaller engine size.

19 hours ago, sendintheclowns said:

any one have experience, in where to buy a new ignition coil set.?

Someone posted at TV last year that a dual LPG/Petrol system needs a special set of coils. Normally, I'd go to Ford, to save titme. but they are quoting me 12,000 baht. ridiculous.

Only a clown would believe that ... o you are ...☺

3 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I can't put up with Diesel . Nice splash of E85 n go.Gas lot tailed back on the Hi Way waiting..Oh economy on E85...disgusting.emoji83.png2596efbc1c5c87817ea59b8fa06ce192.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Morning Ace ...downhill with a following wind ... we have had gas in on of our cars since 2007 ...just had the tank changed ..only legal for 10 years

Morning Ace ...downhill with a following wind ... we have had gas in on of our cars since 2007 ...just had the tank changed ..only legal for 10 years

Just Cruise,Economy button ,+boring flat Central Plains hi ways..Can get it down to 11.5 in BKK [emoji79].As for Good Morning it isn't for me ,not happy in Central area .[emoji25]

53 minutes ago, johng said:

Is that a new requirement ? LPG or CNG ?    I thought LPG tanks just had to be "inspected" every 5 years.

Not accorging to google.

LPG.

My wife wasn't offered the option of having the tank inspected and tested.

Now that google tells me that it is an option the next time we are at the garage I will asked.

We got 200thb scrap price from the what we would call in the UK ...rag and bone man ...5thb/kg   ... probably got robbed there aswell ....

Edited by JAS21

6 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Not accorging to google.

LPG.

My wife wasn't offered the option of having the tank inspected and tested.

Now that google tells me that it is an option the next time we are at the garage I will asked.

We got 200thb scrap price from the what we would call in the UK ...rag and bone man ...5thb/kg   ... probably got robbed there aswell ....

I just received a new certificate, from my installer. It says its is good for 5 (five) years.

18 minutes ago, sendintheclowns said:

I just received a new certificate, from my installer. It says its is good for 5 (five) years.

:smile: I live in this almost black hole. :sad:On quizzing MrsJ she tells me. Yes the certificate is for five years and after five years the tank has to be inspected by 'an engineer' who will issue a certificate for another five years. After ten years I don't know!! Probably scrapped like before......

Even after nearly 15 years of been married to her the only times that I got the full details straight away was when we lived in the UK... it's a Thai Thing   

These details are recorded somewhere withing the walls of your LTO.

Anyway MrsJ's new car arrives on Friday and the Lantis will, after twenty one years, be going to another home ... I hope.    

Edited by JAS21