Fish Farming - Large Pond/Lake Aeration Systems

BozZFX

I would agreed with OP in terms of quantity, in fish farming it all depends on what market you can penetrate. By standard practice, Pla Nin should be harvest between 8-9 months achieving marketable sizes and weight of between 500gm - 800gm. I've done RIR farm of 3'000 layers with a setup over a 2 rai pond back in Y2K. Yes the fishes are just bonus to the eggs.

My stocking rate back then was 2'000 Pla nin per rai as per recommendation. I shudder at OP stocking rate of 100k - 200k...and I was thinking that it has to be Pla Duk with that kind of stocking rate.

In my case, if my wholesalers require the type of sizes of my produce then I would stock accordingly to their demand (as per season quota). If they need sizes of 4/5/6 fishes per kg, I would overstock to meet that demand. If their need for that season is 2/3/4/5 fishes per kg, I would stock thinner in the ponds to achieve supply. Anyway I do it I would still hit my tonnage forecast.

OP has a market for 300gm - 500gm.

Wow !!! (Claps, claps, claps...Thumbs up !)

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, RedBullHorn said:

I would agreed with OP in terms of quantity, in fish farming it all depends on what market you can penetrate. By standard practice, Pla Nin should be harvest between 8-9 months achieving marketable sizes and weight of between 500gm - 800gm. I've done RIR farm of 3'000 layers with a setup over a 2 rai pond back in Y2K. Yes the fishes are just bonus to the eggs.

My stocking rate back then was 2'000 Pla nin per rai as per recommendation. I shudder at OP stocking rate of 100k - 200k...and I was thinking that it has to be Pla Duk with that kind of stocking rate.

In my case, if my wholesalers require the type of sizes of my produce then I would stock accordingly to their demand (as per season quota). If they need sizes of 4/5/6 fishes per kg, I would overstock to meet that demand. If their need for that season is 2/3/4/5 fishes per kg, I would stock thinner in the ponds to achieve supply. Anyway I do it I would still hit my tonnage forecast.

His stocking rate was 100-200k in 10 rai wasn't it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedBullHorn said:

It all depends on the pond size ^^

if you have for example many smaller ponds that can only hold 1000-2000 fish its perfectly fine ^^

but if you have a pond thats big enough to call it a lake and two rivers supplying water, its another story...

100-200K fish is actually decent for a 10 Rai / 16,000m3 pond that feeds on chicken manure/ poultry food/ fish food...

they have enough space and pond depth to swim freely, only thing i need is proper aeration to control the water quality and keep toxic waste down ^^

and yes it all depends on the market that you can penetrate, there are two types of market.

1 for consumers that you can find in most markets for cooking/grilling,

and 1 for industry market for making fish balls (luk chin pla).

and i only grow 80% Pla Nin & Pla Nai, the others are Pla Duk & Pla Chon.

I do 1+ million per year only with fish as a bonus to the poultry farm.

but since the last 2 years i get only 7-800K because of the horrible dry season we have been through,

and now i try to find a way to save water and keep it clean and clear for the fishes to overcome the dry season.

happy farming ! ^^

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BozZFX said:

It all depends on the pond size ^^

if you have for example many smaller ponds that can only hold 1000-2000 fish its perfectly fine ^^

but if you have a pond thats big enough to call it a lake and two rivers supplying water, its another story...

100-200K fish is actually decent for a 10 Rai / 16,000m3 pond that feeds on chicken manure/ poultry food/ fish food...

they have enough space and pond depth to swim freely, only thing i need is proper aeration to control the water quality and keep toxic waste down ^^

and yes it all depends on the market that you can penetrate, there are two types of market.

1 for consumers that you can find in most markets for cooking/grilling,

and 1 for industry market for making fish balls (luk chin pla).

and i only grow 80% Pla Nin & Pla Nai, the others are Pla Duk & Pla Chon.

I do 1+ million per year only with fish as a bonus to the poultry farm.

but since the last 2 years i get only 7-800K because of the horrible dry season we have been through,

and now i try to find a way to save water and keep it clean and clear for the fishes to overcome the dry season.

happy farming ! ^^

Where you based Boz?

6 minutes ago, grollies said:

Where you based Boz?

Chiang Rai / Mae Sai 

Im from Bangkok/Pattaya and grew up/studied in Germany ^^

but i live since 5 years in Chiang Rai now and do agriculture/aquaculture.

Edited by BozZFX

2 minutes ago, BozZFX said:

Chiang Rai / Mae Sai 

Im from Bangkok/Pattaya but i live since 5 years in Chiang Rai now and do agriculture/aquaculture

OK, talking about market penetration, my daughter-in-law is a fish wholesaler in BKK. You interested?

• Like 1

Hi Boz that's an interesting aquaculture set up you've got going there. Can I ask you what you're feeding your chickens with? Are you using conventional feed along with the odd antibiotics or are you more prone to use a chemical free/organic type of feed?

Cheers

• Like 1

Just now, grollies said:

OK, talking about market penetration, my daughter-in-law is a fish wholesaler in BKK. You interested?

Thx for your offer ^^

my market penetration is Myanmar and Laos,

all my eggs and fishes are going across the border to Burma/Laos.

4 minutes ago, BozZFX said:

Thx for your offer ^^

my market penetration is Myanmar and Laos,

all my eggs and fishes are going across the border to Burma/Laos.

No worries mate, good luck with the aeration project.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, passedout said:

Hi Boz that's an interesting aquaculture set up you've got going there. Can I ask you what you're feeding your chickens with? Are you using conventional feed along with the odd antibiotics or are you more prone to use a chemical free/organic type of feed?

Cheers

Im using premixed poultry food from CP ( Charoen Pokphand ) that has Corn/Rice hulls/dry fish/small stones for digesting in it.

and every month the chickens gets eye drop vaccine.

Edited by BozZFX

How many rai does your chicken shed cover Boz,could you put in a false floor to collect the shit then distribute evenly  the feed or in a burley form to help your DO.

I would imagine it would be a frenzy of fish under the shed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Great looking farm BozZFX.

Thanks!

Only thing it needs to improve is water source for poultry and aeration for fish,

we use water from a drilled well/hole to feed the chickens, with a crappy filter system,

and the pond needs infused oxygen to overcome all the waste and toxic gas (hydrogen sulfide),

for better fish and harvest ^^

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, sgraham005 said:

Was anyone able to find a 220V rocking piston style air pump (with or without cabinet) for sale in Thailand? The pond I have is deep, I  so need bottom aeration 

Check out this video from the UK on fish farm aeration.