Endless Update.

dddave

For the last six days, every time I shut down my HP laptop (Win-8.1) I get the blue page "Don't turn off computer while we finish update:  1 of 1", then it spins for 20 minutes before shutting down.

It seems to be the same update repeating.  How can I clear this?

Expect not the same issue I have (will not boot into Windows after updates now - endless spinning stars).  That in my case is a wireless mouse issue and pulling mouse stick allows computer to boot.  Expect you are not using such on a laptop however.  

On 1/16/2017 at 3:41 PM, Chicog said:

Look for the Windows Update Troubleshooter and run it.

...and prepare to be disappointed.

OK, their latest version managed to solve one, long-standing update issue but I still have two others that it can't do squat with.

Trying turning off Fast Boot/Startup.   Shut down.  Then turn computer back on.  Turn computer off again and see if it shuts down normally.   If it does shut down normally/completed the update, then Turn Fast Boot/Startup back on again.  Turn computer off and see what happens.

Sometimes Fast Boot can cause very strange problems (it has a couple of times for me over the last year when on Win 8.1 and Win 10), but turning Fast Boot off, powering down, starting back up, then turning Fast Boot back on fixed things.  For some computers you may be better off just leaving Fast Boot turned off...only impact will be your boot-up will be a little slower.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

Also check/view your updates area to see if an update is indeed failing to install.

Edited by Pib

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...and prepare to be disappointed.

OK, their latest version managed to solve one, long-standing update issue but I still have two others that it can't do squat with.

Well post them and we'll see what we can do for you.

9 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Well post them and we'll see what we can do for you.

Nah... there's not enough hours in the day to mess with it any more. I have done all the lengthy 'fixes' that include the Microsoft ones which most other people on various Windows 7 dedicated forums also find don't work. So far none of the many ardent users 'fixes' from aforementioned forums have succeeded either. Once the Windows update registry is corrupted (assuming that a corrupt update registry isn't a flawed premise just because Microsoft own troubleshooters tell me that's the problem but can't fix it), it can be all get a bit scatter gun and all of a sudden it's Autumn again.

Any more shenanigans and it's a backup and 100% clean reinstall.

I can't do the o/s only re-install because I am unable to update to IE11 (yields yet another error code that Microsoft handily skips around)... pretty poor show when the inability to update the browser I never use prevents recommended repair procedures.

PS. Read my signature.

You can reset Windows update by doing the following

1 - Go to Windows Services (services.msc)

2 - Scroll to Windows Update. If the service is running, right click and select Stop.

3 - In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

4 - Delete everything in that folder

5 - Reboot

Go to Windows Update and select "Check for Updates". It will likely take a long time to rebuild the update cache.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

You can reset Windows update by doing the following

1 - Go to Windows Services (services.msc)

2 - Scroll to Windows Update. If the service is running, right click and select Stop.

3 - In Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution

4 - Delete everything in that folder

5 - Reboot

Go to Windows Update and select "Check for Updates". It will likely take a long time to rebuild the update cache.

Yes it does and after about 17 hours, IE11 (still) fails to install thus buggering up any other updates that rely on that absolute gem.

But hopefully it will work for the OP.