Replacement passport (UK) needed plus work permit/visa expiring, please help!

Hi there, 

Ive been using Thai Visa for a while but only reading the topics and comments. I made this account so I could get some peoples help/advice about an issue that I have.

I currently teach at a school and have a non-B that has been extended with my contract and work permit.

My passport expires at the end of May 2017. It recently became water damaged so that the stamps cannot be read (I have a copy of all the pages prior to this happening.

My visa and work permit expire on the 9th February 2017.

I have spoken to the British embassy and they advised me to apply for a new passport first and then apply for emergency travel documents so I can go to Malaysia in order to get a tourist visa.

I was expecting to use my work permit and a letter from my school as supporting documents for my new passport but since my work permit will expire, I assume I wont be able to use this and that a letter from my school will be not accepted since my contact ends the same day.

Does anyone have experience of anything similar happening? Any advice or help that you can offer would be much appreciated.

If you get your application done in the next few day you probably have your new one before you need leave the country. Latest reports are that it takes 2 to 3 weeks to get the new one.

Have you looked here for what is required. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You only need proof of address to do the application. They would accept a translation of your work permit page that has your address on it. It does not matter how soon it expires.

You were past due needing to get a new passport. You need at least 6 month remaining to enter any other country in ASEAN.

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe, yes it's my own fault for not being aware of my passport dates. My work permit does not have my residency address, only the address of my work place. I'll get onto applying for my passport right away and hope that i will be able to do both the passport interview/document submission AND the emergency travel document at the same time or same day so I dont have to travel to BKK twice.

50 minutes ago, xpa12 said:

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe, yes it's my own fault for not being aware of my passport dates. My work permit does not have my residency address, only the address of my work place. I'll get onto applying for my passport right away and hope that i will be able to do both the passport interview/document submission AND the emergency travel document at the same time or same day so I dont have to travel to BKK twice.

You will need to make a 2nd trip to Bangkok to pick up your passport unless you know someone in Bangkok to pick it up for you.

It seems to me it might be a waste of money to get the emergency passport if their is chance you will have your new passport back before you need to leave.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, xpa12 said:

I agree it might be a waste of money, however what if the passport does not return in time and I don't have emergency travel documents? I have no idea what would happen in that case.

If you do not have notice that passport is ready for pickup a few days before the February 9th you would then get the emergency passport. If I recall correctly it only takes a day to get it.

I think that may be what the embassy was telling you to do. They normally only issue them if you need travel in a short period of time.

Ok, I see what you mean.  In the supporting documents section it says 'immigration documents' but it doesn't elaborate on this, any idea what I should ask for? I'm going to immigration tomorrow as my 90 day report is due anyways.

1 minute ago, xpa12 said:

Ok, I see what you mean.  In the supporting documents section it says 'immigration documents' but it doesn't elaborate on this, any idea what I should ask for? I'm going to immigration tomorrow as my 90 day report is due anyways.

They will have copies of your passport that will show your extension in it. That is all I think anybody has supplied with their passport application.

About the only thing you could get from immigration is a certificate of residence to prove your address.

Unless I am mistaken, the OP only needs to provide ONE of the items listed in Table A of the guidance document?

The first one listed is a valid Visa or Resident Permit, so as UJ states, the extension page should be fine.

There is also an option of an employment record from an employer, or a tax letter.

So if the OP has any of the above, then it should suffice, my take is that all they want is for you to prove that you have a legitimate reason to be here and therefore can apply for a UK passport here, not necessarily the actual address that you reside at?

Edited by Mattd
G

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They certainly want proof of address. That has been discussed many times on the forum. For many it has been a problem for them to supply.

The only proof of address that I have is the slip that immigration gave me for my initial 90 day report when I changed address.

I've just been to immigration now and they said they cannot issue a certificate of address. I've had this issued to me before but in a different province 2 years ago when I wanted to do my driving license so I don't know why they are unable to do it here.

I can get a letter from the school to say that I work here, however since my contract finishes on the 9th February (the same as my work permit.) I fear this will not be accepted since it will be during the period that the passport is being processed

I have an appointment on Tuesday the 24th January to go to the visa application centre in BKK. I don't think I can provide anything else from the list of accepted supporting documents. 

I don't have any services at my house, only electric and water, which are non specific to me. I have my Yamaha warranty book that has the address in it but that's the only thing that I can think  but even that doesn't have my name on it because I'm still paying it off.

I renewed my passport in November and it was ready for collection in 10 days. Regarding proof of address, I e mailed them about this and they stated the list was not exhaustive. In the end I wrote a letter confirming I had been working at my uni since xxxx and got it signed. I did not state the expiry date on the letter. They accepted this and returned my other proof of address documents (student loans letter, my employment contract and a life insurance correspondence) as they didn't need any more.

• Like 1