Obama shows clemency to Manning, intelligence analyst behind leaks

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not going to say she is a hero or something like that, but she has served about 7 years in tough conditions. This surely doesn't fit the crime. What was done to her wasn't fair at all.

Good decision by Obama now.

On 18/01/2017 at 0:48 PM, thaihome said:

I assume you mean Assange's extradition to Sweden to answer questions on his sexual assault charges.  The US has no pending legal action or extradition petition pending against Assange.

TH  

And bearing in mind that which constitutes 'rape' in Sweden bears no relation to any other Western country's definition of it, together with the fact that neither Swedish woman filed any charges, that the Swedish authorities trumped up these dubious charges to kowtow to the US hoping to mitigate the release of the damning evidence against the US's favourite , the DNC, he should, as the UN has suggested, be freed immediately for the seven years he has been forced into the sanctuary of the Ecuadorian Embassy and compensated. Disgusting that some on here would still refer to Manning, who'd exposed the heinous behaviour of the US military, and Assange, without whom the nefarious Clintons would still be at liberty to enrich themselves via their pay for play 'charity' Foundation, donations to which tanked  immediately after the election, 'traitors'.

You know, every day I read some piece of f**kwittery  spouted by the junta on 'tackling corruption', attracting 'high end tourists' to their little low end country, wondering how they can be so completely lacking in self awareness, I have changed this country's acronym from LOS to LCD, Land of Cognitive Dissonance. And then I come on here ..

Edited by dageurreotype

3 hours ago, JemJem said:

I am not going to say she is a hero or something like that, but she has served about 7 years in tough conditions. This surely doesn't fit the crime. What was done to her wasn't fair at all.

Good decision by Obama now.

Him. I'm not PC. And yes. He deserved the punishment. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. 

1 hour ago, dageurreotype said:

And bearing in mind that which constitutes 'rape' in Sweden bears no relation to any other Western country's definition of it, together with the fact that neither Swedish woman filed any charges, that the Swedish authorities trumped up these dubious charges to kowtow to the US hoping to mitigate the release of the damning evidence against the US's favourite , the DNC, he should, as the UN has suggested, be freed immediately for the seven years he has been forced into the sanctuary of the Ecuadorian Embassy and compensated. Disgusting that some on here would still refer to Manning, who'd exposed the heinous behaviour of the US military, and Assange, without whom the nefarious Clintons would still be at liberty to enrich themselves via their pay for play 'charity' Foundation, donations to which tanked  immediately after the election, 'traitors'.

You know, every day I read some piece of f**kwittery  spouted by the junta on 'tackling corruption', attracting 'high end tourists' to their little low end country, wondering how they can be so completely lacking in self awareness, I have changed this country's acronym from LOS to LCD, Land of Cognitive Dissonance. And then I come on here ..

I bet many in Sweden don't agree with your statements. 

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Him. I'm not PC. And yes. He deserved the punishment. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. 

what about these criminals?

Manning was working as an intelligence analyst in Baghdad in 2010 when she gave WikiLeaks a trove of diplomatic cables and battlefield accounts that included a 2007 gunsight video of a U.S. Apache helicopter firing at suspected insurgents in Iraq, killing a dozen people including two Reuters news staff.

On 1/18/2017 at 0:44 AM, dick dasterdly said:

Obama decided to release Manning as Wikileaks said Assange would agree to extradition if this happened?

Yes true, but should let Assange off the hook, as well as Snowden. Heroes all!

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

Why should Assange be extradited to the US? Has he been charged with anything there?

Don't think anyone other than you mentioned extradition to where, but below is a quote from Reuters...

Assange has been holed up at Ecuador's London embassy since 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden for the investigation of allegations, which he denies, that he committed rape there in 2010. He has said he fears Sweden would extradite him to the United States, where there is an open criminal investigation into the activities of WikiLeaks.

WikiLeaks sent a tweet quoting Assange's attorney, Melinda Taylor, saying he would abide by his promise to accept extradition if Manning was freed. "Everything that he has said he's standing by," Taylor said, according to the tweet.

On 1/19/2017 at 6:54 AM, tuktuktuk said:

Demented is the first thing that comes to mind when I see the picture of Manning in the post.  I also feel sick when they refer to him as a her. The whole saga is another case of truth being stranger than fiction.

Thailand must present some real challenges then...:coffee1:

On 1/20/2017 at 8:51 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Thailand must present some real challenges then...:coffee1:

I'll venture to say that men who think they are women struggle more here than in the USA. They certainly have no special rights, nor is there any movement to grant them any. Legally they're men if they were born male. 

42 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

I'll venture to say that men who think they are women struggle more here than in the USA. They certainly have no special rights, nor is there any movement to grant them any. Legally they're men if they were born male. 

Though no expert on this topic, not aware of any "special" rights they have in the States. They are seeking equal rights for sure, as all oppressed minorities do and should have without such a struggle. People are people regardless if they are different or whom they love or skin color, gender, god or no god belief or whom they choose to have sex with. 

Culturally, LGBT are way more accepted here in Thailand. "Mai bpen rai", as the saying goes. They are working here in every job imaginable...including nearly every movie and TV show. Many are quite famous. They are accepted in society here and fit in easily. Not so much in the USA, though their situation has been improving. :coffee1:

Not everything is what it appears to be in Thailand.   I wonder how many ladyboys in jail in Thailand would be allowed to undergo a sex change while in prison?    LBGT people are not afforded protection by the Thai gov't.   I have seen people who were fired when the employer found out they were gay -- no other reason given other than 'we don't want a gay person working here.'  

...but we are straying off topic.  

Absolutely no charges should be laid against Julian Assange by the USA, Trump should make that a priority. With all the little witches emails, plus her other cronies, this has saved the USA from continuing with Obamas policies, Assange deserves a heroes welcome.

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

Not everything is what it appears to be in Thailand.   I wonder how many ladyboys in jail in Thailand would be allowed to undergo a sex change while in prison?    LBGT people are not afforded protection by the Thai gov't.   I have seen people who were fired when the employer found out they were gay -- no other reason given other than 'we don't want a gay person working here.'  

...but we are straying off topic.  

I think they should if they have the quarter of a million baht + to pay for it........back on topic

Edited by uptheos
change

Do not change the quote inside the text box.   It is against the forum rules.   It's not really a proper quote once it has been changed.  

Since it's so far off-topic to begin with and I don't mind, I think we'll ignore that but don't do it in the future.   Here's the rule:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

8 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Absolutely no charges should be laid against Julian Assange by the USA, Trump should make that a priority. With all the little witches emails, plus her other cronies, this has saved the USA from continuing with Obamas policies, Assange deserves a heroes welcome.

I think it would be hard for the US to press charges against Assange.  He definitely doesn't deserve a heroes welcome.  He's done a huge disservice to women in Turkey.  Maybe they'll arrest him?

6 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Trump in 2010: WikiLeaks 'disgraceful,' there 'should be like death penalty or something'

Donald Trump called WikiLeaks "disgraceful" and suggested there be a "death penalty" for their actions during a 2010 interview.

Speaking on camera to preview Brian Kilmeade's radio show, the Fox News anchor brought up the topic of WikiLeaks...

"I think it's disgraceful, I think there should be like death penalty or something," Trump said during the quick exchange uncovered online by CNN's KFile.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/politics/kfile-trump-wikileaks/

Just now, craigt3365 said:

I think it would be hard for the US to press charges against Assange.  He definitely doesn't deserve a heroes welcome.  He's done a huge disservice to women in Turkey.  Maybe they'll arrest him?

some might disagree

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Trump in 2010: WikiLeaks 'disgraceful,' there 'should be like death penalty or something'

Donald Trump called WikiLeaks "disgraceful" and suggested there be a "death penalty" for their actions during a 2010 interview.

Speaking on camera to preview Brian Kilmeade's radio show, the Fox News anchor brought up the topic of WikiLeaks...

"I think it's disgraceful, I think there should be like death penalty or something," Trump said during the quick exchange uncovered online by CNN's KFile.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/04/politics/kfile-trump-wikileaks/

That was 7 years ago, the guy's seen the light since then.

3 minutes ago, uptheos said:

some might disagree

1 minute ago, uptheos said:

That was 7 years ago, the guy's seen the light since then.

You've just offered another falsehoood.

Donald Trump 'troubled' by Obama's decision to commute WikiLeaks source Chelsea Manning

Donald Trump was "troubled" by President Obama's decision to commute the 35-year sentence of convicted classified document leaker Chelsea Manning, the President-elect's incoming press secretary said Wednesday.

"You have an individual who was convicted of espionage and sentenced to spend 35 years in jail," Sean Spicer said on the Trump transition team's daily conference call. "And after the outrage that we've seen about other leaks, and issues that have come up, to see someone who has given away this country's secrets, and been convicted of it through a military court, it's disappointing and it sends a very troubling message when it comes to the handling of classified information, and to the consequences to those who leak information that threatens the safety of our nation."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/donald-trump-troubled-obama-chelsea-manning-commutation-article-1.2949501

Edited by ilostmypassword