Nong Khai Jungle Temple

Patriot

If you're expecting this to be a "jungle temple", in any normal sense of the word "jungle", then I think you are in for a disappointment. It is just a small area of fertile forest that you can walk round in about 5 mins that is centred on a mineral-rich spring, which has been tarted up to take advantage of Thais' beliefs in the supernatural. There are various statues and signs, while visitors are encouraged to take a drink, pray to the deities and part with money. Up until a few years ago, there was no proper temple here, just a modest shrine to a naga spirit built around the mineral spring, but since then it has boomed as a tourist attraction. The only thing of potential interest might be the rich plant life in the mini-forest, which is quite different from surrounding remnant forest patches in that part of Isaan. In other words, it is a biodiversity island in a bit of a biodiversity desert, and from what I saw when I last visited in about 2006, was being poorly managed by the venal guardians. :sad:

• 1 month later...