Quit your job in the west and move to super cheap Chiang Mai!

Jingthing

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I planned very well for my retirement, but my plans didn't include my English wife banging the gardener then taking my house and most of my assets in the following divorce.

thank you for sharing........

Lady Chatterley's Lover.  A great read about the Lady of the Manor and the stud gardener.  One of the first English soft (very soft) 'obscene' novels and banned for years in many countries.  Today seems incredibly un-sexual but times have changed.

Lord Chatterly was unable to satisfy the Lady so she turned to a man who could/would. Thanks for the reminder MaeJo boy.

On 1/19/2017 at 12:48 PM, alex8912 said:

I don't think tons of people from the states came here because of her article. I personally rarely even meet tourists from there.

Because they're all younger.  20-something, or 30-something with kids, or digital nomads. 

There are really a lot of Americans showing up in Chiang Mai.  And Canadians and some Mexicans even; I guess cheap flights via China helps.

7 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

There are really a lot of Americans showing up in Chiang Mai.  And Canadians and some Mexicans even; I guess cheap flights via China helps.

Met a 50 year old DN from Mongolia last week, moving here with his wife and kids.

Recons it's cheaper than Mongolia ..........

On 20 January 2017 at 11:50 PM, amexpat said:

I recommend 50 mil baht.  Otherwise stay in your home country where you might rent a tiny apartment for 20,000 baht or so and get your teeth cleaned for about 5,000 baht, modest lunch for 250, etc. 

I did the numbers for myself and figured that 100 Mil Baht was the number for me. 50 Mil has me scratching around by the time I hit the 80's. However lots of rubbery numbers that make up the calculations each time I do them. The reality is that I will aim high and see how close  I get to the retirement target.

On 1/19/2017 at 10:57 PM, amexpat said:

Approximately how much would such insurance cost for a 65 or 70 year old?  Approximately, ballpark, generally.

I know how long a string is. 

As for the PER INCIDENT/EPISODE, you usually don't have to worry about that as the policy will be canceled after the first big claim. 

I did a little research recently for an American friend who is about 66 years old and has some health issues. I was surprised to find that Tokio Marine Insurance (with offices in Thailand - including Chiang Mai) offers fairly reasonably priced policies with 3 million Baht coverage for seniors. I forget the exact cost but I think it was less than 50K Baht per year. I am not entirely certain it was only for Americans or not.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:14 PM, rumak said:

Wouldn't it be even harder fro them to get by in a place where the cost of living was higher ??

answer to your next answer :   Yes, it is terrible that so many in the world have not planned adequately

for their retirement as you have.

Yes, for someone whose only source of income is a pension of $1000-$1200 per month, it would be more difficult to live in a place where the cost of living is higher.  But, as a senior, they'd be eligible for subsidized housing, tax credits for home heating, free bus passes and entry to museums/zoos/etc, and they could find part time employment.  And, most importantly, when they became ill, they'd have access to medical care that is paid for.

Instead, they believe the stories about the easy tropical life in Chiang Mai and, often are attracted by the thought of the welcoming women.  Yes, it can be more fun to live here as a senior -- until it isn't and then it can be very, very bad and even lead to premature death.

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Instead, they believe the stories about the easy tropical life in Chiang Mai and, often are attracted by the thought of the welcoming women.  Yes, it can be more fun to live here as a senior -- until it isn't and then it can be very, very bad and even lead to premature death.

I enjoy the welcoming women and happily accept the risk of death in exchange.

35 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Is that you worry your wife and 19 year old daughter will find out?

My wife isn't worried, she has her lovers, I have mine.

The teen is happy as long as her University expenses are paid.

The best bit of living in Thailand, everyone knows what's happening, but nobody mentions it out loud.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

This thread has it all: the pathos of men and women touting their wise decisions while assaulting strangers for theirs; broadsides against "western women" from men haunted by their own failings and disappointments; accusations and insinuations about who is supporting a lover, a relative, a village; indignant egos declaring how much they have contributed; pensions, exchange rates, insurance premiums; unsolicited finacial reports; defensiveness, hostility, lament; how dare you call me a drifter!; heart attacks; pages and pages of it all. And a few genuine notes of contentment, nearly muffled in the cacophony of complaint. ThaiVisa 2018.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:57 AM, NancyL said:

Yes, for someone whose only source of income is a pension of $1000-$1200 per month, it would be more difficult to live in a place where the cost of living is higher.  But, as a senior, they'd be eligible for subsidized housing, tax credits for home heating, free bus passes and entry to museums/zoos/etc, and they could find part time employment.  And, most importantly, when they became ill, they'd have access to medical care that is paid for.

Exactly it.. My mum is 65, where she is she has rent paid, pension support income, assistance on lots of financial aspects, home visits for medical issues and support (recently had a mild stroke) and obviously 100% free medical. 

Sure cost of living in Thailand would be cheaper but none of that money or assistance is paid if she leaves the UK. It might only add up to +- 60k THB a month but thats about her cost of living in a very nice home with all facilities close to hand. In all likelyhood she will probably come and live out here soon with me, but in no way will it be cheaper.