Thailand unveils campaign to attract tourists from Asean nations

webfact

Thailand unveils campaign to attract tourists from Asean nations
By SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION 
SINGAPORE

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND is showcasing a tourism campaign in the Asean market called “Unique Thai Local Experience” with the expectation of attracting 9.2 million visitors from the region this year.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand announced the national tourism campaign for 2017 last October. 

TAT unveiled the campaign to global markets at World Travel Mart in London in November, and the same campaign is being promoted to Southeast Asian markets this week at the Asean Tourism Forum (ATF) in Singapore.

TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn told media that travel to Thailand from Asean countries continued to grow thanks to visa-free policies, increasing trade and business contacts, strong marketing campaigns and more low-cost airline links.

Last year, arrivals from the |Asean nations to Thailand numbered 8.6 million. Malaysia topped the list with more than 3.14 million arrivals, followed by Laos with 1.28 million and Singapore with 846,646. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30304405

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-19

I was going to comment about Island rubbish dumps out of control, untreated sewage draining onto the beaches and into the sea, road and sea tourist transport safety (bus and boating accidents), assaults, bag snatches, jewelry snatches, various scams, double pricing, police professionalism and serious lack of standards throughout the country,    but I won't as it is a waste of time

Border countries have workers and families involved in cross-border traffic on a routine basis that TAT is no doubt using to inflate tourism counts. This kind of traffic stays in relative housing as guests or in company dormitories and represent little in the way of incremental revenues beyond subsistence expenditures for food, etc. 

Edited by arrowsdawdle

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

I was going to comment about Island rubbish dumps out of control, untreated sewage draining onto the beaches and into the sea, road and sea tourist transport safety (bus and boating accidents), assaults, bag snatches, jewelry snatches, various scams, double pricing, police professionalism and serious lack of standards throughout the country,    but I won't as it is a waste of time

These are  tourists who have to run the gauntlet for a couple of weeks only, imagine choosing to live in such a place full time ! :shock1:

Edited by Broken Record

The only growth industry in Thailand appears to be confined to just a few area's, mainly the Junta's road map for democracy, which is a oxymoron cause the military has no place in a Democracy,  and attracting  unsuspecting tourists, why would people come from their county to look at something they have all ready inmost of their countries , elephant farms,  temples, dirty streets , dirty beaches, poverty, all same at home , just askin...........................................:coffee1: 

11 minutes ago, chainarong said:

why would people come from their county to look at something they have all ready inmost of their countries , elephant farms,  temples, dirty streets , dirty beaches, poverty, all same at home , just askin...........................................:coffee1: 

Why would people from first world countries come to Thailand and choose to live in the place by choice, must be barking mad.

The tourists only have to put up with it for a short period of time before escaping, luckily ThaiVisa members are well informed and would never go to such an horrendous place.

Many Malaysian and Singaporean Citizens enjoy Hat Yai and Betong.  They are cheap places to party and have a large, Chinese speaking community.

The train from Padang Basar to Hat Yai is only a 30 minute trip, but there are only two trains a day.  The alternatives are mini buses which suck in Thailand usually. 

Thailand since 2014 is strangely welcomely unwelcoming.  Another definition of Thainess.  

1 hour ago, Broken Record said:

These are  tourists who have to run the gauntlet for a couple of weeks only, imagine choosing to live in such a place full time ! :shock1:

I can't imagine living anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Broken Record said:

Why would people from first world countries come to Thailand and choose to live in the place by choice, must be barking mad.

The tourists only have to put up with it for a short period of time before escaping, luckily ThaiVisa members are well informed and would never go to such an horrendous place.

You liked your first comment so much...you decided to post it again. 

Phuket with its world class beaches, close communities of expats, affordable living in a variety of ranges and daily fun is a fantastic place to live.

Looking forward to more valuable insight from a broken record. Jeesh  

4 hours ago, smedly said:

u forgot the rapes and the people who go to death row and get out on bail next day

4 hours ago, smedly said:

..............its not a waste of time its a way of life!!

4 hours ago, Broken Record said:

Some Thai Visa members come, look and go only returning for an occasional post because they have alternatives!!..........:passifier:

Some months ago I was sitting here when 3 tourists from Singapore asked for "porridge" for breakfast.

None of the Thai servers understood the term "porridge"

As an American I had to show the Thais the closest item on the menu which was listed as "Rice Soup"

The Singaporian tourists were using a British term which the Thais did not understand.

I assume that TAT does realise that 9 million visitors staying on average, as TAT states, for only 5 days equates to 2.25 million visitors staying for an average of three weeks, or 4.5 million staying for two weeks.  Just proving that number of tourists alone means very little. whereas their length of stay and spending power  says much more.  

Just as important is the fact that one ex-pats living here for 365 days of each year has to be worth  73 times as much as the average 5 day stayer, particularly as they have to prove that they have at least 65000 bahts per month to spend, all year round.

In addition, the ex-pats often also bring into Thailand large amounts of capital to purchase properties, and vehicles, basically in their Thai wive's names, which in most cases they can never get back.  Thus one ex-pat is worth at least 73 five-day visitors and yet TAT and the Government seem to spend an inordinant amount of time and money in trying to attract ever more short-time visitors while appearing to make life more difficult for the ex-pats already here. 

9 hours ago, smedly said:

The amazing amount of suicides by foreigners as well.  "Visitors love our country so much, they would rather die than leave."

On 2017/1/18 at 9:28 PM, IMA_FARANG said:

Some months ago I was sitting here when 3 tourists from Singapore asked for "porridge" for breakfast.

None of the Thai servers understood the term "porridge"

As an American I had to show the Thais the closest item on the menu which was listed as "Rice Soup"

The Singaporian tourists were using a British term which the Thais did not understand.

Many Singaporeans speak Chinese dialect called "Hokkien", sometimes they say "moi" in their hokkien dialect which means rice soup, when spoken with a lower tone sounds like thai word for "Pubic Hair".

They sometimes order porridge in their Hokkien dialect and the Thai lady will be smiling.

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Somtamnication said:

Does the TAT know that Thais cannot speak basic Englisheeee to deal with these Aseans? :wacko:

Wrong. Thai people can suhpeek angrit very well. But. They are shy. Especially the students from the Universe Citeeeee.... Nobody in this world can shout Hey You! WHERE YOU GO? that good as thais.

Loooooooooool.