Is BKK Boring Without Street Vendors?

eldragon

49 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

So completely out of order!

100% deserving . One minute she's making billions on the stock exchange the next she's a farmer owning millions of rai in sugar cane . Your mate is in cloud cucko land . Is wholly deserving of being torn a new one ! When you spend your life talking everyone down but yourself up then you are fair game . End of . 

Edited by chrisandsu

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 20/01/2017 at 3:03 PM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

So Bkk only consist of two roads? There are many open drains and broken pavements in Bkk just go ourside the bright light areas.

Go on then, which pavements and open drains are you referring to that are connected to this thread about the removal of vendors?   You said the vendors were a colourful distraction from the open drains and bad pavements so you must have meant the pavements that the vendors occupied.

23 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Street vendors are what makes Bangkok what it is and makes it different from New York, London or the others. If you want order and cleanliness go to Singapore or the West. It's no wonder tourists are giving Thailand a pass. 

What makes you think that tourists are not coming to Thailand?

21 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

And the vast majority of working Thais, who don't have kitchens in their apartment and they don't have money to spend in more expensive restaurants etc.  But he, scr#w the locals -- as long as people who should have never left home can have the same thing here that they left in their home country.... hmmm.... so many complain about how things are here.... eventually demanding what they left.... when what they really should do is leave themselves because they obviously are not happy here.

The vast majority of those who were moved on were not serving food and the vast majority of those people that you refer to, not just Thais, do not tend to visit the tourist areas or central Bangkok to eat.  

The vast majority of Thais who live in rooms without kitchens do not have problems cooking in those rooms, Thais do not need  kitchens.

20 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

BTS is wholly broken and packed with aimless, clueless farang walking in circles with no clue.

BTS is wholly broken?  What does that mean?  BTS isn't "broken", wholly or partly.  To know which type pack the BTS you must be one of those "aimless, clueless farang walking in circles", unless you have investigators reporting back to you.

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Anyone who thinks the pavement on Sukhumvit is okay has been in Thailand a looooong time.  Even rat infested dumps become "okay" after you've lived next to one for too many years.  I work at Asoke, and walked to Nana just last night.  It wasn't okay.

Which part wasn't ok then?  

5 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Which part wasn't ok then?  

Here's an exercise- a challenge.  Take someone in a wheelchair from Asoke to Nana, on the south side of Sukhumvit.  

It's not about handicap access.  It's about looking at it differently.

Edited by impulse

Just now, impulse said:

Here's an exercise- a challenge.  Take someone in a wheelchair from Asoke to Nana, on the south side of Sukhumvit.  

I didn't ask for a challenge, I asked you which part of Sukhumvit it was that you claimed wasn't ok enough to walk along and you can't answer that. 

You weren't pushing a wheelchair from Asoke to Nana and I didn't claim that that was possible.

Just now, gdgbb said:

I didn't ask for a challenge, I asked you which part of Sukhumvit it was that you claimed wasn't ok enough to walk along and you can't answer that. 

You weren't pushing a wheelchair from Asoke to Nana and I didn't claim that that was possible.

If you're wanting to discuss yard by yard, I didn't take video, my memory isn't that good and it really isn't a hot button topic for me.

So, you win.  It's fine.

It's not about handicap access.  It's about looking at it differently.

I don't see any problem in that stretch. The foot path is plenty wide enough without pot holes

13 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

I don't see any problem in that stretch. The foot path is plenty wide enough without pot holes

Bangkok is not handicap friendly.  You just have to look at the BTS and the lack of fulfillment on the contract, the escalators that start with 3 or 4 steps beforehand.  The sidewalks work fine for non-handicap people where they exist, but it is no worse for handicap people than the rest of the layout.   Some of the "handicap" unfriendly or constant fixing has to do with the fact that we live in a tropical country and the torrential rains play havoc, the vegetation which if not controlled can push the city back into the dark ages in a decade (it took a year for the vegetation that use to exist under Q House to go from being turned over to 2 stories high).  The stores at street level that are blocked by stairs, etc.  (while those that are not up a few stairs get inundated with water during the worst of the storms).   These are just a few of the minor examples.

28 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

If you don't count the poles in the middle every 50 meters or so, or the construction fences that block big sections, or the curbs and bumps that you and I don't even see because we're not really attuned to them.  I have no problem navigating that section on foot.  Because I've been doing it for years.  But it's not up to any kind of international sidewalk standards.

5 hours ago, ozmeldo said:

Correct

I know nothing about it.

My first trip to Pattaya in 1998 I thought why isn't there more Thai food? I quickly learned that was due to the huge amnt of farang and them not eating it.

From 2003-2008 I more or less lived in Pattaya from May till October. When I left it was a much changed, sad little place largely devoid of decent people and Thai food.

I was down visiting a friend for a day last year. Found it next to impossible to find decent Thai food although with large effort, it can be found.

I severely doubt there is more Thai food post 2007 with the onslaught of Russians and South Asians.

But yeah, years living in central Pattaya, know nothing of it.

Yes, you keep being, it's so stupid to repeat what is obviously wrong.

Just move out beach road and second road, then you will see that Thai food is everywhere.

Any anyway, it's also EVERYWHERE on beach road and second road.

So funny you.

If you don't count the poles in the middle every 50 meters or so, or the construction fences that block big sections, or the curbs and bumps that you and I don't even see because we're not really attuned to them.  I have no problem navigating that section on foot.  Because I've been doing it for years.  But it's not up to any kind of international sidewalk standards.

I agree with you more needs to be done. Those poles in the middle by the way are spaced apart enough for a chair, seen many go through,they were put there to stop the food cart vendors from completely gridlocking Sukhumvit when feeding the stall holders.
That was total madness and the writing was on the wall once those poles went up

7 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

I agree with you more needs to be done. Those poles in the middle by the way are spaced apart enough for a chair, seen many go through,they were put there to stop the food cart vendors from completely gridlocking Sukhumvit when feeding the stall holders.
That was total madness and the writing was on the wall once those poles went up

My suggestion to take a wheelchair wasn't as much to test the ability to get through.  It was a way to force someone to look at a very familiar area in a different way.  I don't even see a lot of the BKK hazards any more, because I've been negotiating them for years.    That doesn't mean the hazards aren't there, or aren't really hazards.  And they look a lot different even when I'm walking my bicycle through them.

There's no distinction between food vendors and the others - one size fits all. I can no longer head out from my apartment and find a fruit vendor (the one who cuts up watermelon and sells it for 10 or 15 baht). It's very annoying

You ever think about just buying your own fruit and cutting it up at home?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:25 PM, YeahSiam said:

Carcinogenic nonsense??

So, in your view, it's better to eat food fried in oil that may very well be a month old?

No use for a condo?

You mean no money for a condo, right?

The Thai kitchen you're talking about shares the street with the vermin running around the drains.

Lovely, just lovely

The UK food is great though isn't it:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/fears-of-‘dirty-meat’-entering-food-chain-after-25percent-of-abattoirs-fail-tests/ar-AAn5zlL?ocid=spartanntp

It's  rapidly appoaching the boring stage. The street vendors and their wares and food are one of the major tourist attractions to Bangkok. Another factor seriously affecting this tourism attraction are the many areas scheduled to disappear because of new developments, mainly of overpriced condos or shopping centres which are obviously a money laundering project for the investors. Examples are Hemmingways on Sukhumvit soi 14, now gone and due to be replaced by one of the above mentioned developments and cheap charlies just off soi 11 plus the very good adjacent restaurants, soon to go. The information I have that almost all these new developments are on land owned by indians, Washington square being one as well. How is this so?? I understood only Thais could own the land.

How can a condo or anything else be overpriced and continue to sell?

Market forces dictate. Not some dude on TV

For me the best thing about malls are the incredible diversity of food. Why anyone would prefer slurping on chicken soup in a dirty dish next to a very ripe drain while watching rats dodging pedestrians is beyond me.

17 minutes ago, mcfish said:

How can a condo or anything else be overpriced and continue to sell?

Market forces dictate. Not some dude on TV

While I agree with you for most markets,  in a place where a huge portion of the economy goes unreported (and consequently, untaxed), it's not unusual to see anomalies based on hiding or laundering that hot money- even if it's at a loss.   Still works out cheaper than actually paying taxes- and that's assuming it's not drug or graft money, where the taxes are only a small part of your problems with sticking it in the bank.

Works out great if you need to hide millions of baht, but not so great if you're looking to buy a place to live.

While I agree with you for most markets,  in a place where a huge portion of the economy goes unreported (and consequently, untaxed), it's not unusual to see anomalies based on hiding or laundering that hot money- even if it's at a loss.   Still works out cheaper than actually paying taxes- and that's assuming it's not drug or graft money, where the taxes are only a small part of your problems with sticking it in the bank.

Works out great if you need to hide millions of baht, but not so great if you're looking to buy a place to live.

Agreed there is a criminal element but the overwhelming majority are the general public eg my GF just signed up for a new 33sqm condo 26 floor one station away from on nut and 20 meter away from the bts

She paid 5 mill!! And she said there were plenty of people signing up, all thais. That's insane! But they are selling.

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Agreed there is a criminal element but the overwhelming majority are the general public eg my GF just signed up for a new 33sqm condo 26 floor one station away from on nut and 20 meter away from the bts

She paid 5 mill!! And she said there were plenty of people signing up, all thais. That's insane! But they are selling.

Scratch the surface a little and I suspect you'll find that the prices are also being driven up by corrupt Chinese money looking for a nearby place to hide their ill gotten cash, and eventually escape to if their own economic bubble collapses and harsh measures are required to quell the unrest that causes.  It's happening in real estate markets all over the world, using investment vehicles appropriate to local rules.

Scratch the surface a little and I suspect you'll find that the prices are also being driven up by corrupt Chinese money looking for a nearby place to hide their ill gotten cash, and eventually escape to if their own economic bubble collapses and harsh measures are required to quell the unrest that causes.  It's happening in real estate markets all over the world, using investment vehicles appropriate to local rules.

That's taking speculation to a whole new level. Chinese dirty money is the driving force behind bangkok spiraling prices?

No way lol. Developer Land availability in desirable areas is the biggest driver by far, simple market forces in play.. Land owner or biz owner hikes his price.. Developer same same.

eg there is no more land around around Asoke and Nana, developers are currently buying out groups of existing businesses, the beer garden will be next to go and then Nana Plaza and they will cost A FORTUNE! Anyway we are getting way off topic

. Over and out [emoji4]

Yes it's Dreadful now.  The brilliant walk from Soi 3 to soi 19 has been ruined.  I used to do so much shopping there. Now I never bother with this stretch of Sukhumvit - it used to great day and night.  Now is crap. All the excitement,, fun, energy, brick a bracket, gew  gas, clothes, crafts... all gone and also gone the livelihoods of hundreds of people.  The clearing of lower Sukhumvit was an act of malicious vandalism.