Nvidia Shield (2017-?)

SooKee

On 10/17/2017 at 9:07 AM, SooKee said:

I guess thats where our usage differs, by and large, apart from the services I actually bought these boxes for (Netflix, iFlix, HooQ, Kodi, Plex, YouTube and Spotify) I have zero interest in any other apps at all, I've also not found anything on the Amazon Store that I want to download that I can't find on the Android TV store...

I will try the Mi in the bedroom and if it doesn't work out it'll be due to the box's technical capability, not UI preference.  I can use the Fire TV, I just don't really enjoy doing so.  In fact, if the Mi doesn't work out, the 16GB Shield in the living room will be replaced with a Pro and the 16GB will go to the bedroom, overkill for what I actually need though, if the Mi is up to the task.

Speaking as someone who actually has owned and used the Mi Box from the U.S. for the past year, I'll say two things:

1. If you ONLY want to use it for Netflix, Kodi, Plex, YouTube, Spotify and a few other apps, it's going to be fine.

2. But if anyone's expecting that the Mi Box is going to provide official access to the full range of Android video streaming apps, particularly from a U.S. content perspective, it simply doesn't and won't. I sat down today and compiled just a short list of the various video streaming apps from the U.S. that are ARE available for the Fire TV and/or on regular Android devices like tablets and smartphones, but are NOT available for the Android TV Mi Box in the Google Play Store (though it may be possible to sideload some versions of them from other sources).

The reality is: the consumer market for Amazon Fire TV devices is HUGE, second only to Roku in the streaming device market. So content providers are willing to make specific apps compatible with those platforms, as well as of course the regular (and by far largest) Google Android phone and tablet market. But the separate lean-back Android TV device market is tiny by comparison, and so apparently, a lot of content providers simply aren't willing to put the effort into producing and maintaining a separate app for that segment.

Here's some of the Google Play Store apps that show as incompatible with the Mi Box: (I shrunk down the images so as to not take up too much space, but basically, underneath each item on the line that lists the Mi Box, it says, "This item is not compatible with your device."

It's particularly kind of telling when Google themselves came out in the past year in the U.S. with an over-the-top/online streaming cable TV service in the U.S. called "YouTube TV" (the last photo in the list below), which is a very nice U.S. cable TV replacement service, and they have an Android phone and tablet app for it, but not one compatible with the Android TV Mi Box.

AandE.jpg.6d166fc33cac52aaf4b59fb4f3128238.jpg    AMC.jpg.34ade9f3f43a57f01ff1bddc63840177.jpg

59e743b3ebfe5_BBCIPlayerRadio.jpg.e4cddb3f93bfcd688aed2abd0e918e64.jpg     59e743b5e3aa2_BBCNews.jpg.d888f1ac0f7d9d2567bb2fc0b909b1fe.jpg

59e743b7c38af_BravoNow.jpg.44c7a6fb43226fc52507c4b2f2f48db1.jpg     CNBC.jpg.44ebec245be6bded170eb49c5a36f3d6.jpg

CW.jpg.31c97785243285f3d1ea5c327c8dff46.jpg     59e743be643d0_DirecTVNow.jpg.155d14bf7d5d508b64a75ef44044c1de.jpg

59e743c05268a_ENews.jpg.e3fcd51f42696aab1c6c0ca1b9b7cc6a.jpg     59e743c2ccca8_EuroNews.jpg.33d0fe5405451b5cb3b77911242615e9.jpg

Lifetime.jpg.bfb06952157aaf2b32d424dfe26065fd.jpg    59e743c75aaba_NatGeoTV.jpg.95e5b338a7cd5c24e655b652a418ca94.jpg

59e743c9807f5_NBCSports.jpg.aa807be4788fc16ce2c8195dd2925b29.jpg     59e743cb4fc06_PlaystationVue.jpg.96abeabdeedb8971f3775009067b3d2a.jpg

59e743cd1bfda_SkyNews.jpg.5dd1e442de2a15f4b7d58bea87ef571a.jpg     Syfy.jpg.11a1713ec454a85cc8d19c6d064edf32.jpg

59e743d2e663d_USANetwork.jpg.726561845dd1711be6b6b086514a94e6.jpg     59e743d530c7a_YouTubeTV.jpg.7316495e6b50049234a25674ca4a4e4c.jpg

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Speaking as someone who actually has owned and used the Mi Box from the U.S. for the past year, I'll say two things:

1. If you ONLY want to use it for Netflix, Kodi, Plex, YouTube, Spotify and a few other apps, it's going to be fine.

2. But if anyone's expecting that the Mi Box is going to provide official access to the full range of Android video streaming apps, particularly from a U.S. content perspective, it simply doesn't and won't. I sat down today and compiled just a short list of the various video streaming apps from the U.S. that are ARE available for the Fire TV and/or on regular Android devices like tablets and smartphones, but are NOT available for the Android TV Mi Box in the Google Play Store (though it may be possible to sideload some versions of them from other sources).

The reality is: the consumer market for Amazon Fire TV devices is HUGE, second only to Roku in the streaming device market. So content providers are willing to make specific apps compatible with those platforms, as well as of course the regular (and by far largest) Google Android phone and tablet market. But the separate lean-back Android TV device market is tiny by comparison, and so apparently, a lot of content providers simply aren't willing to put the effort into producing and maintaining a separate app for that segment.

Here's some of the Google Play Store apps that show as incompatible with the Mi Box: (I shrunk down the images so as to not take up too much space, but basically, underneath each item on the line that lists the Mi Box, it says, "This item is not compatible with your device."

It's particularly kind of telling when Google themselves came out in the past year in the U.S. with an over-the-top/online streaming cable TV service in the U.S. called "YouTube TV" (the last photo in the list below), which is a very nice U.S. cable TV replacement service, and they have an Android phone and tablet app for it, but not one compatible with the Android TV Mi Box.

AandE.jpg.6d166fc33cac52aaf4b59fb4f3128238.jpg    AMC.jpg.34ade9f3f43a57f01ff1bddc63840177.jpg

59e743b3ebfe5_BBCIPlayerRadio.jpg.e4cddb3f93bfcd688aed2abd0e918e64.jpg     59e743b5e3aa2_BBCNews.jpg.d888f1ac0f7d9d2567bb2fc0b909b1fe.jpg

59e743b7c38af_BravoNow.jpg.44c7a6fb43226fc52507c4b2f2f48db1.jpg     CNBC.jpg.44ebec245be6bded170eb49c5a36f3d6.jpg

CW.jpg.31c97785243285f3d1ea5c327c8dff46.jpg     59e743be643d0_DirecTVNow.jpg.155d14bf7d5d508b64a75ef44044c1de.jpg

59e743c05268a_ENews.jpg.e3fcd51f42696aab1c6c0ca1b9b7cc6a.jpg     59e743c2ccca8_EuroNews.jpg.33d0fe5405451b5cb3b77911242615e9.jpg

Lifetime.jpg.bfb06952157aaf2b32d424dfe26065fd.jpg    59e743c75aaba_NatGeoTV.jpg.95e5b338a7cd5c24e655b652a418ca94.jpg

59e743c9807f5_NBCSports.jpg.aa807be4788fc16ce2c8195dd2925b29.jpg     59e743cb4fc06_PlaystationVue.jpg.96abeabdeedb8971f3775009067b3d2a.jpg

59e743cd1bfda_SkyNews.jpg.5dd1e442de2a15f4b7d58bea87ef571a.jpg     Syfy.jpg.11a1713ec454a85cc8d19c6d064edf32.jpg

59e743d2e663d_USANetwork.jpg.726561845dd1711be6b6b086514a94e6.jpg     59e743d530c7a_YouTubeTV.jpg.7316495e6b50049234a25674ca4a4e4c.jpg

I almost wasn’t going to reply to this as I’m pretty much done arguing with you about the Fire TV and it’s use in Thailand (I mention Thailand specifically because that’s where we live) especially as this thread is about the Nvidia Shield, not Fire TVs (not that that ever stopped you chiming into threads to talk the device up - and my word do you!!  Your real name isn’t Jeff Bezos is it?).  Of course, other people often reference other devices in threads but none pipe up to carry the flag for the Fire TV as often and valiantly as you.

First up, it’s pretty pointless listing the apps that are not compatible with Android TV (there is no Mi Android TV - it’s JUST Android TV), particularly if they can be side loaded, any more than it is me listing the apps that are incompatible with the Fire TV that can also be side loaded.  They do exist though.  I’m not in the least bit interested in the US streaming services seeing as I live in Thailand but, as a for instance, the Fire is missing HBO Go.  What IS important to me however, again, living in Thailand, is that I can use the services that ARE available in Thailand without side-loading, such as HooQ and iFlix so as to have them maintained by the Play Store.  Indeed, even more important is that an app like HooQ, can’t even be side loaded as it requires Google Play Services to work and Fire TV doesn’t have it.  I also prefer to have apps like Kodi available from the store without side-loading.  Now these services may not be important to you (you do have a habit of dismissing SE Asia based services in your normal condescending tone when you don’t use them or where they don’t support your argument, just as you conveniently totally ignore the shortcomings of the Fire TV in your seemingly endless crusade to promote it) but I choose to use them and it’s not unreasonable to expect others living in SE Asia / Thailand to do so.  And, as ever, not everyone wants to use a VPN regardless of how effortless and marvellous you think it might be.  Some don’t want the cost (especially as streaming services are on a mission to lock them out), some don’t want the hassle, others just plain don’t, regardless of how ridiculous that may seem to you. Like me, I guess those folks aren’t in the least bit concerned what you think about it.

Folks can draw their own conclusions, there are numerous review sites out there covering these devices and the Fire TV certainly is not held in such esteem as you seem to view it, primarily because of it’s Amazon Prime centric nature such that many sites suggest it’s only worth getting at all if you are a Prime customer, otherwise there are far better options.  You have often referenced folks attempting to use the device for something it wasn’t intended (e.g. to access Prime Video outside of Amazon countries) and rightly point out it wasn’t developed for that but then of course YOU are not using it as it was intended either as you are outside an Amazon country and using a VPN to access your service, certainly not what the device was developed for (and how long will that access last I wonder?).  Again, people can draw their own conclusions but I would argue that in Thailand the Fire TV is probably the LAST box you want if you don’t want to use a VPN.  I use a Shield (which blows the Fire and every other box out the water - not just my opinion, pretty much every other review site agrees), no need for a VPN there, not even for Amazon’s International service, pathetic though it might be compared to Netflix and iFlix.

As to the specific points where the Fire TV falls down (seeing you have gone to such lengths to promote it’s strengths in your advertorial - a common theme with those is you conveniently skipping over the device’s shortcomings or anything that doesn’t support your view - to the point of totally ignoring it):

• The Amazon centric UI that dominates this device and that cannot be changed
  • A heavy bias towards Amazon content on both the home screen and search returns (which return play option for Amazon only)
  • Inability to correctly set time / location to Thailand
  • Inability to use any app that requires Google Play Services
  • A USB port which cannot be used to access files / drives (accessories and maintenance only)
  • Problematic CEC that in some cases works for device on only (and standby does not kill the signal to the HDMI port meaning devices with HDMI auto-off will not power down)
  • No HD audio passthrough
  • No volume control on remote

The Mi box I referenced earlier might or might not work out for me, not sure yet, I’ll make my own decisions in conjunction with reading the various review sites rather than defer to a single person who owns the device, commenting on it as if it makes you an expert.  From choice I’d rather have a Shield in the bedroom and still might if the Mi doesn’t do the job, but it gets used so rarely it’s overkill really.  Given that I live in Thailand, use SE Asia based streaming services, want them from the Play Store and HATE the Amazon centric nature of the Fire I’ll take the Mi over the Fire TV and if that fails I’ll go for a second Shield.

I think the Fire TV is a good device, but only if you live in an Amazon account country, I just don’t rate it at all, to the point of detesting it as much as you seem to love it, here in Thailand.  It’s doubtless heavily subsidised by Amazon and you do get some good quality hardware but it is subsidised for a reason and that reason is to push Amazon content and if that’s not important to you there are better options out there, and in one case (‘speaking as someone who owns one’ -  I think that’s the phrase I need to use) the Shield, FAR better, as countless review sites will confirm.

7 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

actually I find the shield just great...the only thing that annoys me is they don't make a fully compatible air mouse...using a 3rd party Minix one and it is not as smooth as I'd like.

I find I use my A2 Lite very little with the Shield now, I have it plugged into to the AIS Playbox that sits next to it (only because AIS insist on you using THEIR box for their services rather than just designing an APK so any box can access it).  I've tried a few and the Minix ones are definitely the best I've come across though I did have to tweak the settings to get the mouse pointer to slow down!!  Other than that, the only other option is something like the Logitech K400 keyboard that has the trackpad.  I don't use one as it's simply to bulky and I'd rather reach for the game controller now if I need a pointer.  All the apps I use now though are ATV friendly so I find myself needing it far less.  For text input I actually fire up the Android TV remote app on the phone now that works well enough.

On 10/19/2017 at 9:34 AM, SooKee said:

I think the Fire TV is a good device, but only if you live in an Amazon account country, I just don’t rate it at all, to the point of detesting it as much as you seem to love it, here in Thailand.  It’s doubtless heavily subsidised by Amazon and you do get some good quality hardware but it is subsidised for a reason and that reason is to push Amazon content and if that’s not important to you there are better options out there, and in one case (‘speaking as someone who owns one’ -  I think that’s the phrase I need to use) the Shield, FAR better, as countless review sites will confirm.

Actually, pretty much the only time I ever post on or mention the Fire TV here on TVF is when you perpetually knock it, sometimes simply wrongly, and I find myself responding, such as now.

I certainly agree, the FTV is a U.S- centric device, but also one that CAN work equally well whether you're physically in the U.S. or just using a U.S. IP address. I'd venture to say, most of the readers here don't have the same hangup you seem to have about using VPNs or DNS redirects. In fact, I'd further venture that most expats here who use computers probably DO use them on a regular basis.

As for the Shield vs. the Fire TV 2nd gen box, I'd also agree, the Shield has better specs and is generic Android. But it also has a price that was, not sure on the latest model, more than double the price of the Fire TV 2nd gen box. So, when you buy a Fire TV, you understand that you're buying into an Amazon-centric ecosystem, but one that also is open to a wide variety of non-Amazon services (Netflix, Hulu, Plex, etc etc.).  If that's NOT what you want, why would you ever get one as you apparently did?

For me, I like the FTV interface, I like easy access to all the Prime video and audio content that is available as part of my Prime subscription, and I like being able to click the voice button on my Fire TV remote control, and simply say, "Play music by XXXXXX," and it starts playing music from my Amazon Music service. Alexa is a very nice companion service on the Fire TVs.

As for some of the issues you've ticked off above:

--Re USB file playing and access, the FTV Box 2nd gen has a built-in microSD card slot that allows easy installing, copying and playing content. But in addition, the full size USB port on the Fire TV 2nd gen also supports that.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-play-videos-from-external-microsd-or-usb-drives-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-and-fire-tv-stick/

External storage support varies based on which Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick model you have. The 2nd-gen Fire TV can access videos from its microSD slot or its USB port. The 1st-gen Fire TV can only access videos from its USB port, because it does not have a microSD card slot. The 2nd-gen Fire TV Stick only has a single micro USB port, but you can use it to access videos stored on a USB drive if you use a USB OTG cable. The 1st-gen Fire TV Stick does not support media playback from external drives, even if you use an OTG USB cable.

As far as media playback is concerned, it doesn’t matter if you access videos from a microSD slot (2nd-gen Fire TV only), a USB port (1st and 2nd-gen Fire TV), or an OTG cable (2nd-gen Fire TV Stick only). All USB drives are compatible, including flash/thumb drives, spinning external hard drives, and external SSD drives. You can even use memory cards in a USB card reader.

--Re search results, video searches on the FTV also include the ability to show the results from YouTube, not just Amazon content only.

--Re app compatibility, I've had more problems and limitations with 3rd party apps on the Mi Box than I've ever had with the Fire TV (between either getting the app from the Amazon app store or sideloading it from elsewhere).

--Re Google services, in the past, I've sideloaded Google Play Services on my FTV and then installed and used Google Play Music there. It's not perfect, but it is functional. But more to the point, I don't think I've ever run into a situation with the FTV where a non-Google app I wanted to use wasn't either A) available in the Amazon app store, or B) functional via sideloading.

--As for Amazon UI you complain about, here's what my FTV home screen looks like:

two rows of icons, top row the recents I've used, 2nd row, the top ordered apps I've chosen.

Most of the Amazon content you complain about is seen only by scrolling down from the home screen.

(but yes, there's a thin commercial ad strip across the bottom of the screen).

59eb43fd76d3e_FTVHome.jpg.0d5f8d2c6bacf33208a3a31cd1769774.jpg

Here's what my Mi Box home screen looks like:

two rows of icons, that can be custom arranged from any  (non-sideloaded) installed apps. No recents available.

And unlike the FTV, the Mi Box doesn't show you icons for any sideloaded apps. To see those, you've got to install and then launch the "Sideload Launcher" app each time. On FTV, the sideloaded apps are surfaced on the home screen just the same as the regular Amazon store apps.

59eb43fe4b56e_MiBoxHome.jpg.1bdc2490f706a9625751303c4856d399.jpg

Between the two, I actually kind of prefer the FTV home screen, thanks very much!

On 10/19/2017 at 9:34 AM, SooKee said:

I’m not in the least bit interested in the US streaming services seeing as I live in Thailand but, as a for instance, the Fire is missing HBO Go.

That's funny, because HBO Go is installed and works perfectly fine on my Fire TV.

Maybe I might note at this point: a person who is "not the least bit interested in the US streaming services" probably ought not be using a Fire TV in the first place.

But considering the U.S. is probably the largest single entertainment content creator certainly in the western world, there's a lot of users outside the U.S. who ARE interested.

59eb480f83232_FTVHBOGo.jpg.d51686a9e1525d308d226095f2067057.jpg

That's funny, because HBO Go is installed and works perfectly fine on my Fire TV.

Maybe I might note at this point: a person who is "not the least bit interested in the US streaming services" probably ought not be using a Fire TV in the first place.

But considering the U.S. is probably the largest single entertainment content creator certainly in the western world, there's a lot of users outside the U.S. who ARE interested.

59eb480f83232_FTVHBOGo.jpg.d51686a9e1525d308d226095f2067057.jpg&key=92ed568ea2da1b0b70390c80627aa5acd8939e50d7f852b11069cdbc15797d61

I'll be sure to remember to ask your permission next time as to what hardware I can try. Or then again, nah, maybe not.  

Anyway you enjoy your Fire TV, your viewing preferences and servicing your needs add I'll enjoy mine.

Can't be bothered to discuss this with you any more, life's too short and you ain't worth the effort. Trouble is you assume everyone wants to do things the way you do, to the point of seeming to get quite peeved about it, then, as per the norm, come the veiled insults accompanied by the usual patronising, self-righteous drivel. Forgive me if I opt to discus things with adults.

Added to the ignore list.

Sent using Tapatalk

Right, bringing this thread back to it's original topic which is Nvidia Shield TV (2017) and not a Fire TV advertorial.....

1) The remote lag issue which some users have experienced with the Shield Experience 6 update should be fixed with Nvidia ready to push an update to affected users before it gets incorporated into a full firmware upgrade: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1025688/shield-tv/remote-lag-after-shield-experience-6-update/

2) Seems that Amazon are still happy to ship the 16GB Shield to Thailand but, somewhat bizarrely, not the 500GB Pro Version? Go figure.  I raised a question with customer support there but got the usual 'computer says no' response with paragraphs of I'm here to help (but didn't, and nor did I answer your question, have a nice day, kindly rate my support with all the sincerity of the Diner "Have a nice day").

3) Nvidia have a released a new package which consists of the Shield plus the remote (dropping the gamepad) for $179.  The new bundle doesn't seem to have surfaced on Amazon yet: https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/shield-tv-with-remote

4) The YouTube app is now the v2 app and supports YouTube 360.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

3) Nvidia have a released a new package which consists of the Shield plus the remote (dropping the gamepad) for $179.

I think i paid $199 and promptly sold the controller to some gamer kid for about $70....to claw back some of the cost. Going by their latest pricing they seem to have valued the Controller at the princely sum of $20 :whistling:

38 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I think i paid $199 and promptly sold the controller to some gamer kid for about $70....to claw back some of the cost. Going by their latest pricing they seem to have valued the Controller at the princely sum of $20 :whistling:

The package / price change was reported to have been to compete with the recently launched Apple TV 4K. I contemplated selling my Game Pad too but decided to keep it around for the Always On aspect of Google Assistant which has now arrived.  I do, very occasionally play some games too.  

IIRC the price of the Shield (2015) used to be $199 with the remote and the Game controller was $50 extra.  Then they bundled both for $199 in 2017 (the better deal of all three IMO) and now the $179 for the original package.  The Game controller is still $60 at Amazon.  I don't think it's a case of they value it at $20, just how the bundle has changed and what they think they can get away with charging.  You did well to get $70 for it for sure.

56 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Yah.  The 16 GB is 1,000 more than Thai Nexus Man which is at a premium already, but not too excessive (in the case of TNM) since you don't have to run the gauntlet of import via customs. 10,900 is WAY over the top IMO, $328!

The Pro version is just a few hundred more than TNM (when he has them) BUT in this case ships from overseas with no COD available.  No way would I buy something that expensive from Lazada unless it was COD, especially with the extra hurdle of the NBTC / Customs issue meaning you might not even get it or could get hit with further import fees.

It's certainly possible to order various streaming tech thru Amazon U.S. and use their international shipping service where you make the purchase and also prepay the estimated Thai Customs duties, and then often/sometimes get some refund of a portion weeks later. In that case, you're pretty much guaranteed you won't have to pay any more than the amount Amazon quotes you.

But for me, whenever I'm ordering tech from Amazon, I'm having them send it to a mail forwarding service in the U.S. like Shipito.com or PlanetExpress.com, who then send it onward to me in Thailand. And, as long as you use either their Airmail (cheapest) or USPS Priority Mail International (2nd cheapest) services, it's almost always going to be less expensive than Amazon's international rates. And usually, little or no Thai Customs duty assessed -- just make sure you stick to Airmail or USPS Priority, and don't ship by DHL, FedEx, or any private courier.

For just a one-time only purchase, it's probably not worth setting up a free account with either Shipito or Planet Express. But for anyone who's planning to make recurring/periodic purchases from Amazon bound for Thailand, it definitely would be a money-saver. And by dealing with Shipito or Planet Express, you also open Amazon's entire catalog, not just the portion Amazon themselves are willing to ship abroad.

Yah.  The 16 GB is 1,000 more than Thai Nexus Man which is at a premium already, but not too excessive (in the case of TNM) since you don't have to run the gauntlet of import via customs. 10,900 is WAY over the top IMO, $328!

The Pro version is just a few hundred more than TNM (when he has them) BUT in this case ships from overseas with no COD available.  No way would I buy something that expensive from Lazada unless it was COD, especially with the extra hurdle of the NBTC / Customs issue meaning you might not even get it or could get hit with further import fees.
Of course the BIGGER problem by far, potentially, with Customs here (especially if you order from Amazon and pay their duty deposit which is likely to be a lot less than Customs could hit you for) is the attention (or not) that's being paid by customs to the NBTC Licence requirement that COULD see your device impounded and your money down the drain. If I was going to order a media box in that price range from outside Thailand I'd DEFINITELY apply for a licence before doing so.

Sent using Tapatalk

Thus far, AFAIK, we haven't heard much from anyone here in terms of running into the NBTC problem when purchasing a streaming device from elsewhere. But I'm certainly aware of the issue, and it's caused me some concern. But let's just say, I haven't found it to be a problem thus far.

Part of the advantage of shipping things thru a reshipper, instead of coming direct from Amazon, is you're the one filling out the description on the customs form, and of course, there are various ways things can be described while still being accurate, and while still giving an accurate valuation.

If I was going to ship something higher priced like a Shield, I'd certainly have it insured against non-delivery just to be on the safe side.

Part of the problem with shipping direct internationally thru Amazon is they're often using one of the private carriers, which almost invariably results in higher duty assessments, whereas if the package is instead going via Airmail or USPS Priority International, for whatever reasons, those packages often attract no duty at all for smaller things, and even for higher priced things, usually a relatively smaller duty to be paid at Thai Post.

27 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thus far, AFAIK, we haven't heard much from anyone here in terms of running into the NBTC problem when purchasing a streaming device from elsewhere. But I'm certainly aware of the issue, and it's caused me some concern. But let's just say, I haven't found it to be a problem thus far.

You seem to have missed my posts.

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If I was going to ship something higher priced like a Shield, I'd certainly have it insured against non-delivery just to be on the safe side

Confiscated by customs for reasons like no license or not paying import duties, isn't considered non-delivery

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

[/url]  

Looks like I have a bit of a Catch 22 situation looming. I had a box on order  (a relatively low cost gamble) but in light of your post decided I'd try and cancel it and source locally, if more expensively (I don't mind a gamble if the odds look favourable). Problem is - it's shipped! Or at least it looks like it has, but it still maybe a delayed site update.

So. Two choices. Let it run. Risk it. Or, put myself on the NBTC radar, go to their offices tomorrow and fill out the forms. I've no problem applying but you never know how far this might go in future. I'd rather not have my details on their books. I'll decide in the morning. If I apply, I'd rather go there in person and beat the delivery time, especially as it now seems clear you can't get a licence once the package has arrived at Customs.  It'll give me chance to assess whether the documents they need are readily available (the obvious ones I have already).  I also need to pay them 10 baht, not clear how that's done on the application. The unfounded confidence of other posters that there won't be a problem I'm afraid I have zero faith in, they can try it with their money.  I have insurance on this too, but no way will they pay out because I've failed to comply with licensing regulations, lost in the post - yes, damaged in transit - yes, impounded and destroyed - no way.  They will sell you and export you the goods, the insurance is to cover the shortcomings of the postal system, not the failure of the recipient to comply with Thai regulations.

I even wonder if Lazada sellers would have come back on people who order COD. No problem there if it doesn't arrive - you've not paid.  BUT, they send it in good faith (arguably not their job to check you have got a licence), it gets impounded, they lose the value of the item.  Who's liable?

The NBTC Licence is also taking effect elsewhere.  Baht and Sold will not take adverts for IPTV boxes now (they have been trying to clarify the situation for months - good luck with seeking clarity!) and it's not clear whether it's this issue that's behind the Apple TV (which oddly is specifically mentioned in NBTC documentation - odd because unless it's jailbroken it can't be used to install IPTV software) being pulled from the Apple online stall in all its variants since this announcement.  Whether it's back now I'm not sure, it wasn't 3 days ago.

Sent using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Yes, I wasn't aware the two of you were having an extended side discussion on importing streaming boxes in a thread on local Thai AIS Playboxes and their app restrictions -- one that I was not following since I have nothing to do with AIS Playboxes...

So if you've fallen victim to the NBTC and their newish regulation, that's the first such episode I've heard of it here. If you did, I'd imagine, it was something shipped in by one of the private couriers like DHL or Fed-Ex, as opposed to Thai Post or USPS???

I'm certainly aware of the license issue, and share the concern should it be seriously enforced... But for the time being, I'm leaning in the direction of one of SooKee's comments in the other thread:

Just makes me wonder why so many boxes are still available from Lazada from overseas and how they're being received without problem? Maybe they're only looking at big consignments or just can't be bothered? Hard to tell since there's nothing in the news about it at all in Thai or English.

Well, looks like I won't get to explore the licence application after all.  The company (Gearbest) contacted me today and advised the item has been successfully cancelled, the website update was an error, it was 'Packed', not 'Dispatched'.  Relieved, mostly, given it would have been a bit of a PITA to have tried to get the licence quickly (and the attendant traipsing to their offices - all a bit of a time sink) PLUS (probably being overly cautious), I prefer to stay off the NBTC radar.

The device (Mi Box 3) is available on Lazada for around only 1,000 baht more from a Thai supplier and at about the same price for 'Ships from overseas' with COD available.  I might take a trip out to Fortune tower later today to see if they have it there and at what price (ensuring it's the international and not the Chinese version).  While I suppose their could be some liability questions if a COD item got impounded by Customs and while it's my responsibility to get an import licence, it's not beyond the realms of reasonableness to expect the sellers, especially if offering COD to Thailand, to be aware of the regulations governing what they sell and either refrain from offering the product to Thailand (as many sellers will when items are subject to such regulation, especially when they are taking the risk!) or advise buyers of the need to get a licence, even to the point of asking buyers to upload a copy before goods are dispatched.  In this case though I'm probably more cautious about the box being genuine AND an international version than the risks the supplier is taking by sending COD.  I know Lazada have a returns policy but I'm not sure how effective that'd be with an overseas supplier and the delivery guys never seem to keen on hanging around if you want to open the package and check it, let alone plug it in and try it.

While it may have been interesting to see how it went from a merely academic perspective it just doesn't seem worth the hassle.  I do however go out to the the area the NBTC office is in occasionally so I might call in and have a chat on the pretext of needing help to apply, mainly to see what you can get away with not supplying, if anything.  The serial number I could see being an issue with trying to get a seller to give it to you if the Helpdesk is located somewhere different to the warehouse.  I speak and read Thai OK so should be able to throw in a number of "what if" situations but of course, as ever here, what one member of staff tells you here might not be the same as another thinks. Can, can, can, can, CANNOT!  Will be a while before I get out there though.  I'll update here and the specific NBTC licence thread once I've been:

Really not sure what's up with the quoting system at the moment.  One I did before from Tapatalk added all sorts of text formatting that I couldn't subsequently change on the laptop.  This time I tried to quote a section of my own post and it's created two posts, one for the quote and one for the reply.  Odd.  I'll flag it to the forum admin.

Shield Experience 6.1 Update

For Shield users, Nvidia have today released the above update which contains some enhancements and also includes the remote 1.21 update which will hopefully fix the remote lag some users experienced after the Shield Experience 6 update.

We'll see!

Shield Experience 6.1 Update

For Shield users, Nvidia have today released the above update which contains some enhancements and also includes the remote 1.21 update which will hopefully fix the remote lag some users experienced after the Shield Experience 6 update.

We'll see!
Certainly fixed the remote lag for me. Back to instant response.

Sent using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SooKee said:

The serial number I could see being an issue with trying to get a seller to give it to you if the Helpdesk is located somewhere different to the warehouse.

If a consumer/end user was ordering just a single streaming device for import here from one of the large/major retailers in the U.S. like Amazon or Google or Walmart or Target or Best Buy, etc., I'd imagine it would be virtually impossible to get any of them to cough up a product/box-specific serial number as part of an online purchase transaction.

Of all of those retailers I just mentioned, Amazon might have the best chance of success with that, but even with them I'd imagine it would be difficult. If NBTC really wants individual product serial numbers in advance of the end user actually receiving the item, that seems like a very big non-starter.

That kind of requirement might be feasible for a commercial importer where they're buying in bulk and presumably can in advance get a range of serial numbers for their purchase, but it hardly seems realistic for a consumer-end user to have a serial number ahead of actually receiving the item. Presumably the reg was mainly aimed at commercial importers, even if NBTC is apparently also at least going thru the motions of enforcing it against end users.

31 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Certainly fixed the remote lag for me. Back to instant response.

Sent using Tapatalk

was within a hairs breadth of pulling the trigger on an nvidia sheild only to find it ships wthout a DAC and there is no analogue audio out!

the only reason i wanted it was for HD netflix and spotify, and soundcloud  - my minix x8h has been laggy and has had audio stutter issues, which i suspect are due to its inability to upgrade to current android. youtube has been a mess with it as well.

anyways no audio out to my soundsystem would require spending anotther bunc of money on a 3rd party dac for use with my older NAD amp and that isnt going to happen.

Archived