Nok Air blasted for mistreatment of disabled passenger, CEO’s insensitive remarks

webfact

Nok Air blasted for mistreatment of disabled passenger, CEO’s insensitive remarks

By Coconuts Bangkok 

5917693567_cd863e5e82_z.jpg

Photo: Bill2P/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- Nok Air is on blast on Thai social media after a report from a passenger that staff mistreated her disabled husband.

The passenger, Parranee Boolong, called on Nok CEO Patee Sarasin to buy some equipment and train his staff on how to deal with differently-abled passengers. His replies surprised everyone.

Parranee wrote an open letter to Patee on Facebook Tuesday, describing the experience that she and her partner, a retired policeman who was shot while working and can no longer walk, had during a Monday Nok Air flight to Bangkok from Chiang Mai

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/20/nok-air-blasted-mistreatment-disabled-passenger-ceos-insensitive-remarks

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-01-20

Patee: " “For passengers who say they will definitely not use us, they can try. It’s not a bad idea”

Oh, Patee! You're just hilarious! Such a witty and mature reply from a CEO. Instead of apologising and offering to fix the situation, you resorted to a dry and arrogant humour that's ironically very true. 

I never use Nok. Bunch of imbeciles. This is just another thing to add to the list.

Oh, Patee. You can have a good laugh with your friends at the wine bar about how you lost your company customers through your pure arrogance. Such an astute businessman, you are. 

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

She could write to Trip Advisor sharing her experience and warning passengers with disabilities to avoid Nok Air because of their inhumane policies.

I guess he will be pleased with that.

Even the skytrain can't be bothered to help disabled passengers. And now we have a general with section44, did he already try to fix the issue? 

Thai don't care for disabled people, they only care for soidogs (Thai style though).

"In her letter, she said, “I don’t want to complain or start a drama here. This is an issue that was far from my mind up until my husband was shot. But what I am asking for is not beyond the standards that a good airline should have.”

Yes, however the nok chairman might point out his company are from good.

As far as it is possible to get.

Especially when it comes to how passengers are treated it would seem.

In all fairness - as a former airline staff - it is a fact, that such information has to be shared with the airline on booking. Some carriers provide an FMC elevator moving, among other things, wheelchair bound passengers between the aircraft cabin level and the ground. Others might use a fingerdock for that particular flight. 
Special seating has to be arranged - in case of an emergency. 

And last, but not least, a budget carrier is what the name says. The passengers might opt for the possibly more expensive service of another carrier which can and does provide such facilities automatically and at no charge - provided the airline is made aware of all this at the booking stage. 

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

I guess he will be pleased with that.

Even the skytrain can't be bothered to help disabled passengers. And now we have a general with section44, did he already try to fix the issue? 

Thai don't care for disabled people, they only care for soidogs (Thai style though).

What absolute nonsense, I am very disabled and I find the Thai people far more caring than any others, that I have come across. Yesterday I used the special toilet for disabled people in a petrol station. It was spotlessly clean and had state-of-the-art toilet with electronic douche and drying. I have never seen anything like this even even in a hotel or other place. Some years back when I travelled on the skytrain it's always a Thai that gets up to give me his seat, seldom a farang. I could go on and on. My elderly mother some years back visited me in Thailand and she commented on how wonderful the Thai people for helping the elderly.

So I come the conclusion that your post is just another ignorant Thai bashing one.

6 minutes ago, gamini said:

What absolute nonsense, I am very disabled and I find the Thai people far more caring than any others, that I have come across. Yesterday I used the special toilet for disabled people in a petrol station. It was spotlessly clean and had state-of-the-art toilet with electronic douche and drying. I have never seen anything like this even even in a hotel or other place. Some years back when I travelled on the skytrain it's always a Thai that gets up to give me his seat, seldom a farang. I could go on and on. My elderly mother some years back visited me in Thailand and she commented on how wonderful the Thai people for helping the elderly.

So I come the conclusion that your post is just another ignorant Thai bashing one.

I agree about many thai people being considerate and helpful

The fancy toilet you used was probably in a PTT station.  Government organisation ordered to provide them in the past.

Thailand, to a large degree, doesn't recognise disabled people...disgraceful and backward!

As mentioned above, there are disabled toilets in many locations....however, for the travelling disabled, and especially the trains, BTS, MRT or interprovincial, there are very few facilities.....try wheeling along the footpaths!

Edited by ChrisY1

15 minutes ago, gamini said:

Well i never see wheelchairs in the skytrain, why would that be??? Do they hang them behind the train or so?

I even rarely see wheelchairs at all in BKK, why would that be??

And for the cheaper budget airlines i can also go complaining that i don't fit in their chair...or that i hit my head in the skytrain if i don't duck.

For airlines we have choice which one we use, for skytrain not.

But even in Singapore they have very low skytrains where i have to duck all the time. Asia is still not as developed as the West.

It has been said Thailand has no rule for disability.  Wrong it has.

It has been said budget carriers do not need to support disability ..wrong.

It has been said there is no law for disability of airlines...wrong if we are talking about IATA carriers.

Please IATA throw that red flag.

ICAO too.

Edited by harrry

1 hour ago, gamini said:

Thai bashing is fruitmans specialty. Expect little else from him.

“Nok Air blasted for mistreatment of disabled passenger, CEO’s insensitive remarks.”

It is up to the airline's discretion and the goodwill of the CEO. Legally, the airline does not have to provide any access for people with disabilities:  "Non European and Non U.S. air carriers operating outside territories falling under the scope of DoT 14 CFR Part 382 and EU Regulation 1107/2006 may be subject to regulations individual to the country in which the air carrier originates from. "

Dropping a few extra baht for merit the next time he visits his local wat, and his conscience will be cleared. 

Edited by jaltsc

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2485/A/008/331.PDF

Mandate 12[edit]

The final mandate, On protecting children, the elderly and the handicapped, issued 28 January 1942, consisted of two items:

1. "In public places or roads, people should assist and protect children, the elderly, or the handicapped."
  2. "Whoever follows item 1 is considered a cultured person deserving of the respect of the Thai people."[13]

Does the inverse apply?

Edited by harrry

5 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Thailand, to a large degree, doesn't recognise disabled people...disgraceful and backward!

As mentioned above, there are disabled toilets in many locations....however, for the travelling disabled, and especially the trains, BTS, MRT or interprovincial, there are very few facilities.....try wheeling along the footpaths!

Footpaths? What? Where?

the root of the problem here is sheer disrespect for disabled people it comes from their version of Buddhism to even the words they use in thai for disabled people , mistreatment towards disable people in thailand will never change  till their mindset changes which will never happen. and there a lot of disable people here except they never come out because of the thai shame factor.

On 1/21/2017 at 10:58 AM, fruitman said:

Well i never see wheelchairs in the skytrain, why would that be??? Do they hang them behind the train or so?

And for the cheaper budget airlines i can also go complaining that i don't fit in their chair...or that i hit my head in the skytrain if i don't duck.

But even in Singapore they have very low skytrains where i have to duck all the time. sAsia is still not as developed as the West.

Re., "Asia is still not as developed as the West": That's exactly why so many western expats live in Asia. 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:58 AM, fruitman said:

But even in Singapore they have very low skytrains where i have to duck all the time. Asia is still not as developed as the West.

you must be a giant that you have to duck inside a sky train or you cannot fit in an airplane seat.

8 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

you must be a giant that you have to duck inside a sky train or you cannot fit in an airplane seat.

Yes sir...and i'm not even fat.

Footsize 13, shirts xxl, helmet xxl.

Edited by fruitman

31 minutes ago, laocowboy2 said:

Everyone should avoid Nok Air

Yes for sure. I remind readers quite some time back there was a report of cracked windshield on a Nok Air aircraft. It may just have been a faulty windscreen but then again it may have been something to do with poor maintenance.

On 1/21/2017 at 2:29 PM, Sydebolle said:

In all fairness - as a former airline staff - it is a fact, that such information has to be shared with the airline on booking. Some carriers provide an FMC elevator moving, among other things, wheelchair bound passengers between the aircraft cabin level and the ground. Others might use a fingerdock for that particular flight. 
Special seating has to be arranged - in case of an emergency. 

And last, but not least, a budget carrier is what the name says. The passengers might opt for the possibly more expensive service of another carrier which can and does provide such facilities automatically and at no charge - provided the airline is made aware of all this at the booking stage. 

My personal experience is that some Thai budget carriers decline bookings if they are told a passenger cannot walk, at the booking stage. I book through a travel agent, and have yet to have such a booking declined by the airline.  Face?  On every domestic flight to regional airport where there is no air bridge that I have been on, I have been piggy-backed up the stairs.  Where there has been an air-bridge, they have still had to piggy-back me to a seat.  Even at Swampy domestic terminal (international carriers usually have on-board aisle chairs).  Thailand is very much a third world country as far as airline travel for people with disabilities are concerned.