Quality Chocolate in Bangkok

JaySonic

Oh my Buddha, how expensive is chocolate there ! I'm looking at their web store, a bar of Lindt Excellence costs a little more than in Australia. That's just crazy. 

I'm not seeing any high end chocolate on their site, Lindt and Guylian is the best they have. Which will do :)

Oh, here's a contender for the 'most disgusting' award. Green Tea Kit Kat

villamarket_0202881_0202881-1.jpg 

Edited by JaySonic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lindt Excellence sometimes $2, often $3 when on promotion at Woolworths in Australia... I bring about 20 packs back when it's $2  :biggrin: better than paying 138 baht...

Green Tea Kit Kat is very popular.

If you go to Japan, the variety available is amazing.

kitkat.jpg

They travel just fine, kept cool. After four months I have five packs left and the chocolate is still in perfect condition. I keep it refrigerated, no white marks like in the earlier pic. Darker chocolate (85%) might not be as easily spoiled.

If you Google Kit Kat Japan you will find websites with lists of all the varieties,  must be hundreds, but many are only available for a limited time.

A neighbor who travels to Japan sometimes brings me back a few.

Most are interesting to try but not something I would buy, Japanese tastes are different to mine I guess.

@OP said "Duk De Praslin is a chocolatier in Silom Plaza, but it looks to me more of a cafe than a place to buy boxed items to take away."

I've been to Duc de Praslin many times. Their chocolate is some of the best I have found in Thailand. While it does serve coffee with the chocolates, you can select the ones you want and they will box them up for you in some nice looking boxes.

David

On 21/01/2017 at 2:00 AM, lopburi3 said:

Most people for the last few decades have had frost-free fridge which are probably lower humidity than outside most of the time here in Thailand.  But agree chocolate not made for this climate quickly becomes a melted mass/mess.

As mentioned below is very popular here and quite expensive so always a good gift - and it seems to hold up quite well.

51Ck5WQat4L._SY355_.jpg

Never understood the appeal of Ferrero Rocher. Just a a bit of thin wafer coated in cheap chocolate but marketed as though it's something fit for "the ambassador".

Never understood the appeal of Ferrero Rocher. Just a a bit of thin wafer coated in cheap chocolate but marketed as though it's something fit for "the ambassador".

Maybe you never understood the appeal, however you surely understand good marketing.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, 8OA8 said:

Maybe you never understood the appeal, however you surely understand good marketing.

Exactly. They are wrapped in gold ! Sure way to win favour with a Thai girl !

I agree though, they are crap. Not sure they really even fall into the 'chocolate' category (despite what it says on the box)

I don't really need anymore supermarket suggestions. Between Tesco, Villa and Makro, there will be plenty to choose from. The original question was about bringing chocolate from Bangkok, in the theme of QUALITY, bespoke product. Since it's been determined that it's not going to last the journey without refrigeration anyway, I'll concede that any of the major brand better chocolates (but hardly high end) such as Lindt or Guylian will do. 

And to which I have no shortage of options on where to buy, in Chalong. 

hot damn, Barry - that's the sort of store I had in mind. Maybe I'll go speak to them and see what they say about refrigerating their product. 

Either way, bugger my girl in Phuket, I'm heading there just for some goodies to please my own love for chocolate. 

Edited by JaySonic

4 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Tesco "Finest" if they have that in a store near you. Tesco on Rama 4 have the "Finest" area

So does the Tesco at OnNut in BKK. However, I've ordered a couple of the Tesco's Finest dark chocolate bars via the Tesco home delivery website also. They're less expensive than Lindt bars. I had the Tesco chocolate-orange and almond bits, which I thought was pretty good. I think I tried a chocolate peppermint variety as well, but couldn't really find any mint flavor. The Tesco Finest chocolate bars say they are sourced from Switzerland.

On 1/21/2017 at 8:29 AM, JaySonic said:

Yes, you have a point. Maybe I'll stop off in Phuket Town on my way down, I'm pretty sure I'll find a chocolatier there. 

I'm sure you won't. The best offerings I have seen are from butchers. Yep you heard me.  There are several European butchers in Phuket who often have other European specialty imports in their shops and chocolate is one. I actually ran into an importer in Rawai who supplied such items including Belgian chocolate. I don't have his number but his mates phone number is 093-678-5700. Ben is the mates name if I recall. 

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, lopburi3 said:

Most people for the last few decades have had frost-free fridge which are probably lower humidity than outside most of the time here in Thailand.  But agree chocolate not made for this climate quickly becomes a melted mass/mess.

As mentioned below is very popular here and quite expensive so always a good gift - and it seems to hold up quite well.

51Ck5WQat4L._SY355_.jpg

You can have your over-packaged glamorous brands of chocolate. Personally I go for the big slab of Tulip dark COOKING chocolate. Big strong cocoa taste and very economical. Foodland and most other large supermarkets have it.

DSC04649.JPG

Big C and 7 Eleven sell Cadbury chocolate, but only in small bars and the taste/composition is nowhere near as good as in Australia.

I think M&Ms are OK and, of course, they withstand the heat. If you come from Australia you might remember Chocolate Wheaten biscuits which (in my opinion) are delicious. You can buy identical biscuits in Big C ('Vita...' brand). The chocolate melts very quickly in the heat, but it is melt in your mouth.

I don't think you can buy chocolate anywhere in Asia just based on the make or manufacturer's label. I always bring back chocolate from the UK and Thais love it. It's because the manufactures in the UK use a fat with a lower melting point for domestic sale. They will them produce the same product made with a fat with a higher melting point for overseas markets so as not to melt so readily. And consequently they will not taste as good.

Kit-Kats from the UK will always taste better than Kit-Kats made in Australia or Malaysia or wherever else they manufacture them.

As an Aussie myself, I will say that Cadbury chocolate is absolute CRAP. I will go so far as to say its some of the most average quality chocolate in the supermarket. Is it netter than name brand stuff in Thailand? Sure, because it isnt compound, but Cadburys really is rubbish. 

And M&Ms... ugh. You can't be serious 55555

Edited by JaySonic

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

You can have your over-packaged glamorous brands of chocolate. Personally I go for the big slab of Tulip dark COOKING chocolate. Big strong cocoa taste and very economical. Foodland and most other large supermarkets have it.

Except it's not even chocolate.  Read the label.  It's compound.  I.e. a nasty, cheaper equivalent, using cheap vegetable fat rather than cocoa butter.

19 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Except it's not even chocolate.  Read the label.  It's compound.  I.e. a nasty, cheaper equivalent, using cheap vegetable fat rather than cocoa butter.

Don't doubt you but for me it tastes great.

5 hours ago, henry15 said:

You can find a large selection of belgian chocolats at J. Leang near Don Muang airport, nd very cheap also

https://www.guylian.com/us/contact-us/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JLeng-Donmuang/182440961772205

Hey I missed this post. Im actually flying out of DMK into Phuket, where the chocolated are destined to be. Great info.

I cant believe this thread is still going 55555

On 1/21/2017 at 8:19 AM, JaySonic said:

To each their own. To my mind, there are some items that simply do not go in the fridge. Chocolate is one of of them,. Tomatos is another. 

We're steering away from the question here. 

I was in a taxi earlier on Sukhumvit rd and I saw a Chocolatier across from the Dinosaur District building. I couldn't make out the name but the letters of the name are in big bright blue lights. Won't be hard to spot.

Edited by fordguy61mi

6 hours ago, JaySonic said:

hot damn, Barry - that's the sort of store I had in mind. Maybe I'll go speak to them and see what they say about refrigerating their product. 

Either way, bugger my girl in Phuket, I'm heading there just for some goodies to please my own love for chocolate. 

JaySonic, 

Galothai is the parent company of Duc de Praslin. If you look at this page on the website, it will show you all the locations including one in Phuket. Luckily, there is one in Chiang Mai so I don't have to go all the way to BKK to have some great chocolate.

David

I met a Thai girl who said she worked in Catburi.  I've heard of Lopburi, Minburi, Saraburi, etc., but I never heard of Catburi.

When I pursued the line of questioning she said, "Catburi.  Chocolate."  So, they must make it here.  Tastes like it.

Duc de Praslin is good for filled truffles.  They don't have chocolate bars.  I could be wrong on that.

If you don't mind blowing a wad on a chocolate bar, go to Royce in Paragon or Emporium and try their bars for 250 baht each.

Outstanding Hokkaido chocolate.  Their soft filled boxed chocolates are excellent, as well for 495 a box.  I like the blue box with

cherry Marnier laced soft milk chocolate.

Twice a year, my daughter brings me a mountain of chocolate which takes months to eat.  Packed in a suitcase then put in the fridge when she arrives.  Always perfect.  Never 'blooms'.  Been doing it for years.  The hold on the plane is very cold.  A few hours in the aircon bus from the airport and then to the fridge on arrival.  Never had any 'melted mess'.  Variety of chocolate from 'After Eights' to Lindt and some of the individual luxury chocolates.  Never a problem.

23 hours ago, fordguy61mi said:

I was in a taxi earlier on Sukhumvit rd and I saw a Chocolatier across from the Dinosaur District building. I couldn't make out the name but the letters of the name are in big bright blue lights. Won't be hard to spot.

That place sold me some nasty tasting chocolates.