Fake monk arrested in Phuket Town

rooster59

Fake monk arrested in Phuket Town

Yutthawat Lekmak

1484989425_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Police have arrested a man in Phuket Town who was impersonating a monk in an effort to solicit donations from the public.

The Phuket Volunteer Defense Corps (VDC) was informed at yesterday morning (Jan 20) that a man who was dressed as a monk was walking around the Phuket Fresh Market collecting money from people.

Mr Jiradet Burarak, deputy of Phuket Volunteer Defense Corps (VDC) together with officers from Phuket Provincial Office of Buddhism and the Phuket police went to the market to apprehend the man after a tip off from Phra Kru Metta Pirom, Abbot of Wat Mongkol Nimit in Phuket Town.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/fake-monk-arrested-in-phuket-town-60728.php#jI8pSz5MMpJCQYiK.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-22

Officers confirmed that the man, whom they did not name, was not a monk and had previously been arrested several times for the same offense. He is now facing charges of impersonating a monk.

I'm kind of curious what the penalty would be, and if the 1000 baht they found on him would cover the fine with any left over?

Criminal Code :
Section 208.
Dressing up as a Monk or Clergy
Whoever, wrongfully dressing or using the symbol manifesting that oneself to be Buddhist monk or novice, holy man or clergyman of any religion so as to make the other person to believe that oneself to be such person, shall be imprisoned not more of one year or fined not more of two thousand Baht.

1 hour ago, madusa said:

The guy in blue looks a bit like the fake monk, don't you think so? I mean the facial features.

Yes but today he is moonlighting as a fake cop to remove tomorrows competition.

Edited by Reigntax
Typo

On 2017/1/22 at 8:29 PM, zorro1 said:

Tourists love it they met a monk and contributed.

In bangkok there was a fraud around for many years, did well with 1k donations.

I think he retired and bought a yacht, haven't seen him around in years

people loves fake LV or Gucci, so what's wrong with fake monks? As long as they look good in their saffron robes they get donation don't they? If the fake ones don't look good people wouldn't bother, like if you make a LV handbag and it doesn't look like a real one nobody will buy it. Simple. Is there a genuine monk? That's not a philosophical question you know.

Simplicity is the secret of my long life, whether you are a fake or real monk I still love you. Also your fake LV wallet.

T-shirts selling for only 50 baht, "I love fake monks of thailand".