Taxi and tuk tuk operators' requests denied

rooster59

Taxi and tuk tuk operators' requests denied

Kongleaphy Keam

1_2017121124157488_nKsDkTXbZNuxddVKeucQGHbVOiOXfdDSowWYPuAo_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: The Provincial Committee turned down requests from both taxi and tuk tuk operators to either expand their services to other areas or bring more vehicles to the Island.

Phuket Vice Governor Sanit Sriwihok presided over the meeting with concerned officials regarding the requests at the Provincial Hall yesterday afternoon.

“Taxi operators in Phuket City are asking for permission to operate in Patong, Kata and Karon as they don’t earn enough money in their current areas,” said the vice governor. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Taxi-tuk-tuk-operators-requests-denied/66166?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-01-22

Here is a plan: lets reduce  taxis and tuk tuks in Phuket .it will sure clean up the island.relocate the remaining ones out from the streets where they mostly block vehicle parking spaces whole day.i sure foreigners tourists can walk some  couple hunderd meters to some central vacant land plot where all taxis and tuk tuk can queue up whole day and do only rides for meter prices.make car and bike parking in Patong paid parking in all sois.

Lmao.... it's already impossible to find parking in kata / karon at times, due to the amount of stationary taxis and Tuk tuks.... surely any request for more public transport should come from a consumer group vs a supplier group.

imho.... a large capacity car park needs building, with free circuit buses running every five to ten minutes, servicing kata/ karon.... and similarly elsewhere, to cut down on road usage/ abusage

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Here is a plan: lets reduce  taxis and tuk tuks in Phuket .it will sure clean up the islandeurelocate the remaining ones out from the streets where they mostly block vehicle parking spaces whole day.i sure foreigners tourists can walk some  couple hunderd meters to some central vacant land plot where all taxis and tuk tuk can queue up whole day and do only rides for meter prices.make car and bike parking in Patong paid parking in all sois.

The idea of a few conveniently located "on demand" tuk tuk queues with a remote staging area has been suggested for years, but never implemented. I've noticed recently that there are a few new "Taxi Meter Stand" signs along the beach road, which would indicate some sort of taxi queue, but strangely enough, none of the taxis parked in those spaces have a meter installed.

You're correct that Patong has way too many tuk tuks. The government did nothing to control their numbers, and since they have a powerful "association", the law of supply and demand does not apply. That's why these guys can park their tuk tuks and snooze in the back or socialize with their buddies for the majority of the day, needing only a couple of fares a day to make a living.

As for paid parking, that was tried for a while on the beach road. 20 baht for motorbikes, and I don't know how much for cars. Didn't last too long, though. Re-instituting paid parking on the beach road, banning overnight parking and proper enforcement by honest individuals would hopefully free-up more spaces for the public. Many of the rental car guys stake out free parking places as their personal place of business 24/7. Used to be that motorbikes for rent had to be removed each night, but some of the motorbike rental guys have gone so far as to line up their bikes in the parking spaces at night and chain them all together, thus claiming those spaces as theirs.

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

The idea of a few conveniently located "on demand" tuk tuk queues with a remote staging area has been suggested for years, but never implemented. I've noticed recently that there are a few new "Taxi Meter Stand" signs along the beach road, which would indicate some sort of taxi queue, but strangely enough, none of the taxis parked in those spaces have a meter installed.

You're correct that Patong has way too many tuk tuks. The government did nothing to control their numbers, and since they have a powerful "association", the law of supply and demand does not apply. That's why these guys can park their tuk tuks and snooze in the back or socialize with their buddies for the majority of the day, needing only a couple of fares a day to make a living.

As for paid parking, that was tried for a while on the beach road. 20 baht for motorbikes, and I don't know how much for cars. Didn't last too long, though. Re-instituting paid parking on the beach road, banning overnight parking and proper enforcement by honest individuals would hopefully free-up more spaces for the public. Many of the rental car guys stake out free parking places as their personal place of business 24/7. Used to be that motorbikes for rent had to be removed each night, but some of the motorbike rental guys have gone so far as to line up their bikes in the parking spaces at night and chain them all together, thus claiming those spaces as theirs.

Exactly that why all vehicles need to pay up a normal parking fee and especially those parked tuk  Tuks.yes taxis with no meter installed are not even taxies so should be removed.a central location for taxies and tuktuks is the way to go but nothing happens.

22 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

“Taxi operators in Phuket City are asking for permission to operate in Patong, Kata and Karon as they don’t earn enough money in their current areas,”   ... in other words they want access to the high fare tourists. Turf war on the way. 

"in other words they want access to the high fare tourists. Turf war on the way."

I hope so.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:01 PM, rooster59 said:

“Taxi operators in Phuket City are asking for permission to operate in Patong, Kata and Karon as they don’t earn enough money in their current areas,” said the vice governor.

Would that be because they are undercharging ... or because they grossly overcharge?

5 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lmao.... it's already impossible to find parking in kata / karon at times, due to the amount of stationary taxis and Tuk tuks.... surely any request for more public transport should come from a consumer group vs a supplier group.

imho.... a large capacity car park needs building, with free circuit buses running every five to ten minutes, servicing kata/ karon.... and similarly elsewhere, to cut down on road usage/ abusage

Well, their request has, for the moment at least, been rejected.

10 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Would that be because they are undercharging ... or because they grossly overcharge?

Because in the Phuket Town they can only charge the local Thais the regular price and would have to work/drive all day to make money. In the tourist area they charge what the want, laze about all day, and just catch a couple of fares each day.. 

Because in the Phuket Town they can only charge the local Thais the regular price and would have to work/drive all day to make money. In the tourist area they charge what the want, laze about all day, and just catch a couple of fares each day.. 

I don't think so. Also in Phuket town tuktuks are pricey. I think they simply don't have enough customers. But also the tourist towns are having that same issue, so I understand the rejection.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Here is a plan: lets reduce  taxis and tuk tuks in Phuket .it will sure clean up the island.relocate the remaining ones out from the streets where they mostly block vehicle parking spaces whole day.i sure foreigners tourists can walk some  couple hunderd meters to some central vacant land plot where all taxis and tuk tuk can queue up whole day and do only rides for meter prices.make car and bike parking in Patong paid parking in all sois.

What are you dreaming about at night? :whistling:

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't think so. Also in Phuket town tuktuks are pricey. I think they simply don't have enough customers. But also the tourist towns are having that same issue, so I understand the rejection.

You make my point stevenl - the locals won't pay the fare asked and find other ways of getting about. Therefore they don't have enough customers to make a livivng. 

22 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

You make my point stevenl - the locals won't pay the fare asked and find other ways of getting about. Therefore they don't have enough customers to make a livivng. 

Whatever happened to the fixed 30 baht fare in the yellow topped tuktuks in Phuket Town?

45 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Whatever happened to the fixed 30 baht fare in the yellow topped tuktuks in Phuket Town?

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Cheap-tuktuk-plan-rolls-forward/61603

87 tuktuks registered for this 30 baht scheme - back in July 2015

Quite honestly that's not enough to make a living and pay for the gas.  It's not as if it was intended to be a baht bus system on a fixed route.