Returning to U.K. after 11 years

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to make a somewhat esoteric comment on moving home.

I'm American, lived in Thailand 8 years, before that Taiwan, Singapore, China.

For whatever reason earlier this year, something snapped, Thailand just got to me and I knew I needed to regain my sanity, so headed home.

I think Americans vs Brits tend to always have to maintain administrative connections, tax, residency etc so in that respect it's an easier transition.

For the first month or so it was weird, getting re-accustomed to things actually working, people doing what and when they said they would, drivers actually obeying the rules, within reason, and everything being so clean! It all felt odd. 

Then you gradually feel normal again, all the insanity that you learn to accept in Thailand ebbs away, and you're back to the 'real' you.

I still have a house in Thailand and my plan is to spend half the year there, but I know after this, there is no way I can be there 100% of the time.

I was planning to go back in January, but Mrs Gin has decided she wants to see snow for the first time in her life. We wait with bated breath to see how that pans out!

Just now, SheungWan said:

I have many fond memories of Digbeth Bus Station.

I worked in the custard factory  (business centre old custard factory) for a few years digbeth is a dump but it works out well for the holistic people with shops there. Hands down brum is a dive but there new library is world class to look at. Looks very odd by comparison. Give it a few years and it will fit in I'm sure.

50 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Scunny what an absolute dive that place I appreciated Birmingham after venturing there. Donny is up there too as a dump as is Boston in Lincoln and stoke eergh complete shiitehole

If Typhoo put the T in Britain, who put the c**t in Scunthorpe. Told to me by a Scunny resident.

45 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I worked in the custard factory  (business centre old custard factory) for a few years digbeth is a dump but it works out well for the holistic people with shops there. Hands down brum is a dive but there new library is world class to look at. Looks very odd by comparison. Give it a few years and it will fit in I'm sure.

You might actually go in the library and browse a dictionary.

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Knowing the poster a little I think his potential appointment might be the reason for this enhanced check. 

OK, you're right, I take this back if for example he is applying to work with children, vulnerable adults, in the criminal justice system and so on.

For these limited types of  positions employers are allowed to apply for background checks on the UK  police database, and they can do it themselves or through some paid for service.

Most employers  (and private companies or individuals) have no legal access to police records of other people at all unless they are doing checks related to this very small subset of legally defined work areas.

The post I replied to suggested it was  a routine occurrence, which it most definitely is not, and that Experian can contact the Thai Police for a  criminal record check, which is not the case at all.

Edited by partington
3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

You might actually go in the library and browse a dictionary.

A spud Is a spud to me. By the way there is a thing called humour of which you have none and clearly never see the funny side of any remark. Paints a grim picture.

On 21/02/2017 at 9:37 PM, 7by7 said:

You are a British citizen; but access to he NHS is based upon residency, not citizenship.

But as a British citizen you are entitled to immediate NHS treatment when you return to the UK to take up residency; without having to pay the IHS surcharge non citizens taking up residency in the UK have to.

Even if you never accessed the NHS during that time, your 30 years of taxes paid for a lot more than the NHS.

Police, fire brigade, other emergency services; even if you never used them, they were there if you needed them.

Got children? Where did they go to school? Even if they were educated totally privately, their teacher's training was paid for by taxpayers. If they went to university, that was subsidised, if long enough ago completely paid for, by taxpayers.

Ever use public roads? Guess where the money for those come from. Even public transport is subsidised by the taxpayer; ever use that?

I could go on.

As said, if you return to the UK to take up residence you are immediately entitled to NHS treatment; even if you are no longer paying any tax.

But if you choose to live abroad, why should my taxes pay for you if you get ill and want treatment for nothing?

I have not moved to Thailand to reside, I'm just on a very very very long holiday 

Just now, roo860 said:

You ever tried Staffordshire oat cakes with bacon, cheese and HP sauce?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Worth a visit just for them?

I'm off oat cakes anyway tried to go on a health drive invested 250 baht or so in some oat cake biscuits from big c all going well and then I bit into one and tasted FISH. Best health drive ever to be honest have not touched any biscuit since.

19 hours ago, roo860 said:

Are you serious about the check with Thai cops? Why would a potential employer of a British citizen even contemplate trying to negotiate translations etc.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My son spent quite a lot of time out here before applying for a job with the RAF.

They insisted on a police report to make sure he had not misbehaved over here.

Cost me 5,000 baht and the cost of a flight for my Mrs to fly down to BKK to pick it up.

After all that he never got the job

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2017 at 6:42 PM, ThaiPauly said:

My son spent quite a lot of time out here before applying for a job with the RAF.

They insisted on a police report to make sure he had not misbehaved over here.

Cost me 5,000 baht and the cost of a flight for my Mrs to fly down to BKK to pick it up.

After all that he never got the job

I too have a police certificate from the Saudi Police. 

• 1 month later...
Assuming you are not still registered with a UK doctor that still could present problems. Surely one of the first questions the hospital; would ask is, have you seen your GP and who is he?

Correct, the fact that a person is not registered with a GP leads to all sorts of awkward questions as I found out when I became ill when visiting my parents last year.
I could not register with a GP as all the surgeries near my parents home were all full and their patient lists were closed so I had to go to a “Drop in”health centre in Norwich and that was where the question began in relation to my eligibility for free non emergency treatment
My nearly 40 yrs of working and paying NI counted for nothing as I was not a UK RESIDENT

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
On 22/01/2017 at 5:30 AM, james24 said:

Thanks for all your advice guys, much appreciated 

The only concern is that I will not have an address, apart from a hostel until I can work.. .

Will be interesting to see how things go but tbh I am looking forward to it.

Sounds like a nightmare.  What went wrong  here? 

On 07/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, huawei said:

You should never leave the Uk without the possibility to return. You should retain an abode, a credit card a bank account, etc..this is bloody obvious..

But then you're more likely to retain your UK-Domicile, for Inheritance-Tax purposes, aren't you ? :wink:

Perhaps a bank-account, because they're not very easy to open nowadays, if you're UK-Non-Resident.  I wish I'd kept a minor one open, using my sister's address, before I left.  But I've managed well so far without the rest of it. :smile:

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

But then you're more likely to retain your UK-Domicile, for Inheritance-Tax purposes, aren't you ? :wink:

Perhaps a bank-account, because they're not very easy to open nowadays, if you're UK-Non-Resident.  I wish I'd kept a minor one open, using my sister's address, before I left.  But I've managed well so far without the rest of it. :smile:

You never lose your domicile basis, therefore there will always be inheritance tax implications.

inheritance tax subject to who the beneficiary is etc..can be generous enough for most of the UK.

That is different from being non resident and capital gains tax implications..and with the change in legislation that's been mitigated..

54 minutes ago, huawei said:

You never lose your domicile basis, therefore there will always be inheritance tax implications.

inheritance tax subject to who the beneficiary is etc..can be generous enough for most of the UK.

That is different from being non resident and capital gains tax implications..and with the change in legislation that's been mitigated..

"You never lose your domicile basis"

I believe you're mistaken about that  ...

" It takes at least three years to shed UK domicile for inheritance tax purposes. You will be deemed domiciled in the UK for inheritance tax if you were UK domiciled at any time in the previous three years, or were UK resident for any part of 17 of the last 20 tax years.  Although the link to domicile of origin can be removed, it will be instantly reinstated if you return to the UK, and probably even if you move to a third country, until you can demonstrate you have established a new domicile of choice. "

https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/blevinsfranks/article/inheritance-tax-and-domicile

My own domicile-of-choice is now Thailand, has been for fourteen years, and I hope to pass the twenty-year-mark.  But returning to live in the UK, as opposed to short-visits, would undo all of that, hence my post.

" To acquire a domicile of choice, you must be physically present and a tax resident in your new country, have formed the intention of living here permanently, and not foresee any reason to return to the UK. You need to sever as many ties as possible with the UK; even stipulating in your will that you wish to be buried there will count against your case. HMRC will look for any indication that you regard Britain as your homeland and may return one day. "

Yes, what you have quoted is true...going through the hoops of shedding the domicile is not as easy as that...I have been here 35 years..you must have a fall back plan..I learnt that as a 25 year old..it was the correct assumption then it is now..experience tells me so.

There are other ways of mitigating inheritance tax other then shedding your domicile it's only really worth it if you have sizeable assets..that isn't the case for most here..the expat community is not that wealthy here..

but yes, point taken I should not have used the word never..