Returning to U.K. after 11 years

On 2/2/2017 at 2:06 AM, hottrader77 said:

2 people now that dont know they are getting ripped off its getting easier by the day , seems a good market to be in with these people around ha ha 

On 2/2/2017 at 2:32 AM, Rc2702 said:

Jump on then son and maybe one day you will have a pair of 36 double dds all to yourself?

Sublime analysis.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/1/2017 at 3:24 PM, SheungWan said:

You confuse costing with pricing. The pricing is based on what the market will bear. An understanding of economics will also show that there is a significant difference between average costs and marginal costs. UK trains for example will have a massive difference in pricing between for example travelling on Monday mornings/Friday afternoons and off peak, not based on costs differentiation but market differentiation. As for getting the hump with a 10p differentiation between the single and return prices of a ticket journey, that is trumped by the Hong Kong Airport Express. Single journeys are priced at 100HKD. Price of day return? 100HKD. Nothing to do with costs and very much to do with market segmentation. No need to throw a strop as there is the alternative of catching an Airport bus for 40HKD. Be careful labelling people thick as it might boomerang right back at you.

in my book when you have explained something 3 times and he does not still understand it that he is getting ripped off by the railway company then he is thick , they need people like you making all sorts of excuses betwewn costing and pricing its 20p less for a single thats the point and you and him believe excuses and what makes you laugh the most is you will believe the crap bullshit over there in the uj , while executives are pulling in huge saleays and doing nothing about it as they want to keep screwing millions of passengers

in my book when you have explained something 3 times and he does not still understand it that he is getting ripped off by the railway company then he is thick , they need people like you making all sorts of excuses betwewn costing and pricing its 20p less for a single thats the point and you and him believe excuses and what makes you laugh the most is you will believe the crap bullshit over there in the uj , while executives are pulling in huge saleays and doing nothing about it as they want to keep screwing millions of passengers

Are you from the UJ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

31 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Rates are falling too. 304 now choose a Tuesday flight both ways for the best deals. I reckon it will go down to 280 in next few weeks.

I'm watching flights from Bangkok to Manchester and they're going up at the moment, but am expecting them to dip over the next week or so as they always seem to go in peaks & troughs.

As mentioned previously, in your scenario I would be looking at one way tickets there & then start looking at one way tickets back when I was getting close to returning.

Downside:

- It will be more expensive.

Upside:

- No evidence that you're not returning to settle in the UK (NHS eligibility) -

- No penalties for flight changes & free to travel with which airline suits you best so If all goes well, you're back earlier, if it takes a little longer, no stress/drama :)

21 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I'm watching flights from Bangkok to Manchester and they're going up at the moment, but am expecting them to dip over the next week or so as they always seem to go in peaks & troughs.

As mentioned previously, in your scenario I would be looking at one way tickets there & then start looking at one way tickets back when I was getting close to returning.

Downside:

Upside:

- No penalties for flight changes & free to travel with which airline suits you best so If all goes well, you're back earlier, if it takes a little longer, no stress/drama :)

Some very harsh pricing to Manchester. What's a good deal to there then?

Some very harsh pricing to Manchester. What's a good deal to there then?

S$888 for me from Singapore (CNY offer with Lufthansa) [emoji14], but they were around 20kTHB in Jan (mate swears Emirates sent him a promo for 10kTHB but I think it was 1-way), they're around 30k now.

Generally cheaper to fly into London though.

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

Downside:

Upside:

They don't ask you on arrival in at a UK airport if you have a return ticket, you just place your passport on a glass reader, walk through and collect your luggage. Customs don't care if you have a return ticket or not, just how much contraband you're bringing in.

1 minute ago, uptheos said:

They don't ask you on arrival in at a UK airport if you have a return ticket, you just place your passport on a glass reader, walk through and collect your luggage. Customs don't care if you have a return ticket or not, just how much contraband you're bringing in.

One of the checks that NHS can make is to ask to see the ticket you arrived on. Being in possession of a return ticket is not indicative of being settled in the UK and opens the argument that the person may return at some point. it therefore may be helpful if only one way tickets are used.

As CM has highlighted, this is more around NHS eligibility which you're not unless returning to the UK to settle.

So why risk them being able to find out you plan on returning in 3-4 months when in the OPs situation 1-way flights are probably better for him anyway.

5 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

One of the checks that NHS can make is to ask to see the ticket you arrived on. Being in possession of a return ticket is not indicative of being settled in the UK and opens the argument that the person may return at some point. it therefore may be helpful if only one way tickets are used.

You threw it away as it was used.

I want to hear from a Brit who has been asked.

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

As CM has highlighted, this is more around NHS eligibility which you're not unless returning to the UK to settle.

So why risk them being able to find out you plan on returning in 3-4 months when in the OPs situation 1-way flights are probably better for him anyway.

This forum is full of scare tactics, quotes and links.......never happens in reality

2 minutes ago, uptheos said:

You threw it away as it was used.

I want to hear from a Brit who has been asked.

I think this whole thing is about reducing risk and ticking as many boxes as possible, chances are that many people may never be asked but that risk is rising.

1 minute ago, chiang mai said:

I think this whole thing is about reducing risk and ticking as many boxes as possible, chances are that many people may never be asked but that risk is rising.

Sure reduce risks makes sense, but some people are so scared by what they read, they put off permanently what they could actually do quite easily.

Just now, uptheos said:

Sure reduce risks makes sense, but some people are so scared by what they read, they put off permanently what they could actually do quite easily.

We have to assume that readers are able to weigh these things up, the option is to not mention it in case readers get scared, isn't that just typically PC UK!  All that's been done is to highlight this as a possibility rather than dwell on it, if anything you're the one who's dwelling on the it.

This forum is full of scare tactics, quotes and links.......never happens in reality

OP is going back to the UK for NHS care, which (rightly or wrongly isn't the point) he isn't entitled to unless he can demonstrate he's returning to settle (burden of proof is on him) as he's been away for 3 months.

UK NHS Trusts have been instructed by the government to crack down on " free treatment for people who aren't entitled to it

To the point where it might even be "Pay now, claim it back later"

www.express.co.uk/news/politics/763521/nhs-health-tourists-pay-free-treatment-crackdown/amp

Not scaremongering, just sharing the facts which are changing all the time... in the wrong direction

OP is going back to the UK for NHS care, which (rightly or wrongly isn't the point) he isn't entitled to unless he can demonstrate he's returning to settle (burden of proof is on him) as he's been away for 3 months.

UK NHS Trusts have been instructed by the government to crack down on " free treatment for people who aren't entitled to it
To the point where it might even be "Pay now, claim it back later" www.express.co.uk/news/politics/763521/nhs-health-tourists-pay-free-treatment-crackdown/amp

Not scaremongering, just sharing the facts which are changing all the time... in the wrong direction

I actually know folk who have gone back to the UK for treatment of serious stuff who have lived in LOS for years...

Just now, transam said:

I actually know folk who have gone back to the UK for treatment of serious stuff who have lived in LOS for years...

Don't tell others that or you'll be called PC

Because they can't figure out ways, they revert to

scare mongering. None so deaf as those who don't

want to hear. Let them live in their scared world if

that's what makes them happy. I now have two 

places and I'm very happy

Don't tell others that or you'll be called PC

Because they can't figure out ways, they revert to

scare mongering. None so deaf as those who don't

want to hear. Let them live in their scared world if

that's what makes them happy. I now have two 

places and I'm very happy

Again... sharing facts is not scaremongering.

If you want to bury your head in the sand & ignore what's going on with the NHS (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-190218/Ex-pat-pensioners-denied-NHS-treatment.html) then be my guest, I could care less seeing as I have worldwide health cover & am more than happy with it here in Singapore.

However this thread is about an OP who's looking to go back to the UK to get some treatment on the NHS before returning to Thailand (I.e. A self confessed Health Tourist)...

Should he be entitlement to treatment - Hell yes, he's British

Is it entitled to treatment - Clearly not given the facts.

Will he get treatment - I bloody hope so.

Lol, you're not the only one who has a house in the UK, it's just for some of us, there are more advantages in being completely non-resident than what we lose in access to the NHS.

5 minutes ago, JB300 said:

If you want to bury your head in the sand & ignore what's going on with the NHS then be my guest, I could care less seeing as I have worldwide health cover & am more than happy with it here in Singapore.

However this thread is about an OP who's looking to go back to the UK to get some treatment on the NHS before returning to Thailand (I.e. A self confessed Health Tourist)...

Lol, you're not the only one who has a house in the UK, it's just for some of us, there are more advantages in being completely non-resident than what we lose in access to the NHS.

Enjoy your life in Singapore,

I'm not sure where I said that I have a house in UK, but I did say i have 2 places, so I will leave you guessing. I quite enjoy going to and fro as it suits me, it's a great lifestyle.

17 minutes ago, JB300 said:

If you want to bury your head in the sand & ignore what's going on with the NHS (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-190218/Ex-pat-pensioners-denied-NHS-treatment.html) then be my guest, I could care less seeing as I have worldwide health cover & am more than happy with it here in Singapore.

Quoting the Daily Mail (or any newspaper) as "facts" is dangerous.

It is a story - one journalist's slant on on a statement from someone in the NHS.

The fact remains that the NHS's prime role is to administer healthcare.

I invite anyone to provide evidence of one Anglo-Saxon looking patient who has been asked to provide documentary evidence that they have resided in the UK for the last 12 months.

It doesn't happen, it won't happen.If you have a British passport you will be bullet-proof.

That does not mean that it is not sensible to keep up to date with changes/intentions coming out of the UK. To suggest that a Thailand expat returning to the UK for medical treatment will be denied treatment (or charged for it) is, IMO scaremongering and not facts.

Edited by Jip99
5 minutes ago, uptheos said:

I'm not sure where I said that I have a house in UK, but I did say i have 2 places, so I will leave you guessing. I quite enjoy going to and fro as it suits me, it's a great lifestyle.

I'm getting ready to do the same this year and am leaving for the UK next week. I'm curious, where is your tax residency, is it in Thailand or the UK, the reason I ask is because I'm struggling with that decision which during the first two years is optional.

Quoting the Daily Mail (or any newspaper) as "facts" is dangerous.

It is a story - one journalist's slant on on a statement from someone in the NHS.

The fact remains that the NHS's prime role is to administer healthcare.

I invite anyone to provide evidence of one Anglo-Saxon looking patient who has been asked to provide documentary evidence that they have resided in the UK for the last 12 months.

It doesn't happen, it won't happen.If you have a British passport you will be bullet-proof.

That does not mean that it is not sensible to keep up to date with changes/intentions coming out of the UK. To suggest that a Thailand expat returning to the UK for medical treatment will be denied treatment (or charged for it) is, IMO scaremongering and not facts.

I'll throw it out there but I'm guessing the views of the BBC will be dismissed as well... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38876527

But, yet again, my point is the rules are changing...

Good news is it seems you can spend up to 6 months out of the country now for those who do flit back & forth (I do my twice yearly "Visit the folks" & get back to SEA asap )

I do enjoy Singapore, but am only here because I'm committed to a Project for the next 1 year & 49 days (not that I'm counting or anything).

Then it's pick somewhere to live (Thailand being Favourite) & use it as a base to Travel from (as I did from KL in 2015).

As a matter of interest, where do you flit between?

I do enjoy Singapore, but am only here because I'm committed to a Project for the next 1 year & 49 days (not that I'm counting or anything).

Then it's pick somewhere to live (Thailand being Favourite) & use it as a base to Travel from (as I did from KL in 2015).

As a matter of interest, where do you flit between?

Thailand, UK and Canada

52 minutes ago, JB300 said:

I'll throw it out there but I'm guessing the views of the BBC will be dismissed as well... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38876527

But, yet again, my point is the rules are changing...

Good news is it seems you can spend up to 6 months out of the country now for those who do flit back & forth (I do my twice yearly "Visit the folks" & get back to SEA asap )

JB, I am sorry but once again you have used a headline and story to try and support your view that we are "doomed".

We are not. The new rules are not aimed at British expats, although in theory they are a 'catch all'. As said, if you are (particularly) a white English speaking, Anglo-Saxon looking person you will be assumed to be British and will not harangued to supply your passport as evidence of spending 6 months in the UK.

Let's say I am wrong (and I am not) then you will be accepted for NHS treatment immediately you return to the UK and state your intention to stay permanently. Changing your mind a month or so later will not land you with a hospital bill.

JB, I am sorry but once again you have used a headline and story to try and support your view that we are "doomed".

We are not. The new rules are not aimed at British expats, although in theory they are a 'catch all'. As said, if you are (particularly) a white English speaking, Anglo-Saxon looking person you will be assumed to be British and will not harangued to supply your passport as evidence of spending 6 months in the UK.

Let's say I am wrong (and I am not) then you will be accepted for NHS treatment immediately you return to the UK and state your intention to stay permanently. Changing your mind a month or so later will not land you with a hospital bill.

Ok, maybe the Gov website will convince you https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations/summary-of-changes-made-to-the-way-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Appreciate this next link is the Guardian but note the rule change coming into effect in April https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/feb/06/hospitals-check-patients-entitled-free-nhs-care-law-jeremy-hunt

Nobody is doomed, if you're returning to settle in the UK you're entitled to NHS from day 1, if you're a "Health Tourist" (for our purposes, somebody who's lived outside of the UK for more than 6 months" you're not.

How people want to play/view those facts is up to them, but if I were in the OP's shoes I'd use 1-way tickets (not because I think I'd get "caught" more the flexibility it would give me when returning).

On 24 January, 2017 at 8:54 AM, catman20 said:

not possible i think. i had a friend go back there a few months ago the government say they cant help him for a period of time, hes held up in a hotel that his sister is paying for,

should be really easy if he went back in as nigerian etc.