Old Volks Beetle restorer

LannaGuy

11 minutes ago, flare said:

I drove by the shop today (I live near there) and saw your car (unless they have a second one in the same color) from the road (just the back end- it's in their garage, not on the street)- looked pretty nice - even better than the pics..;)

Hi, thanks... yes it needs a servo put on the brakes and a few small things - two new seats covers for front seats and some other small stuff so I can't pick it up for a couple weeks

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S_5547335585639.jpg

S_5547334939049.jpg

S_5547335181196.jpg

S_5547334992298.jpg

Wow! A real beauty!

This nice blue paint fits her very well...

In the coming weeks I'll check on CNX streets if I meet you at the wheel: be prepared to be horned!

And thanks for the pics...

13 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

thanks - the 1972 has always been a 1.6L engine although called 1300:

Engine Type : O4 1585 cc | 96.7 cu in. | 1.6 L.

Yes in USA the Beetles only got the 1600cc engines in this time.

But in Europe we got 2 models: the VW 1302 (1300cc carb) and the VW 1302S (1600cc carb). S for "Sport" or "Special" or "Superior" or whatever it could mean for the happy purchaser...

Different markets different specs I suppose...

10 hours ago, gobs said:

Wow! A real beauty!

This nice blue paint fits her very well...

In the coming weeks I'll check on CNX streets if I meet you at the wheel: be prepared to be horned!

And thanks for the pics...

PM if you interested in swapping Beetles stories  555 

10 hours ago, gobs said:

But in Europe we got 2 models: the VW 1302 (1300cc carb) and the VW 1302S (1600cc carb). S for "Sport" or "Special" or "Superior" or whatever it could mean for the happy purchaser...

ok... mine has the 1600

the owner before me had it for 37 years and I think i've been a bit lucky with this one

On 1/24/2017 at 5:41 PM, LannaGuy said:

Hi yes they had 2 for sale today one was a souped up thing with new engine and the other an all original with original engine and I chose the latter

well done welcome to the never ending spending on a vw classic club, i have a 74 bay window kombi

17 minutes ago, steve187 said:

well done welcome to the never ending spending on a vw classic club, i have a 74 bay window kombi

Maybe we should set up a 'meet' and have a little VW Classic Club - exchange ideas, stories etc.

14 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

the owner before me had it for 37 years and I think i've been a bit lucky with this one

Yes, that's a great find! From what we can see through your pics your Beetle seems she has never been abused...

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If anyone knows where you can get a high-quality paint job for a classic car, let me know. 

I'ld be interested too...

For sure I can't recommend the shop where my Beetle has just been done. :sad:

Maybe we should set up a 'meet' and have a little VW Classic Club - exchange ideas, stories etc.

Between TV members, I'm afraid it'ld be a "micro" VW Classic Club :tongue:

But open to vintage cars, any models and brands, why not? Then it'ld become a "mini" Classic Cars Club. And more stories, tips and jokes to share too...

11 hours ago, tigerbeer said:

Beetle and perhaps Golf Stories ? 

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4707.jpg

Nice looking car!

I do like these Golf early issues: small, square, good-tempered and swift at drive...

Ok! You're allowed to join! :tongue:

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Very nice car - congrats. jealous.jpg

But you forgot to tell us how much you paid (We promise not to tell Mrs LannaGuy).

well...  235,000 owned for 37 straight years by an 80 year old gentleman who just can't keep it.

strange thing.jpg

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

Yes aircon, maybe a blower unit under the dash,   just an observation and no expert on beetles are the rear lights correct for a 72. I thought the larger rounder units were fitted to that year.

Hmmm has 'Made in Germany' on them and here is another 1972 - looks same?  Khun Nui (who is the expert) tells me they are the 1972 originals because I asked him about maybe replace them and he was horrified  lol  

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by LannaGuy

if they are originals never change for reps, that beetle in your post #51 has no grills in the engine cover so i would say its not a 72, checking on this link 1973 manufactured between Aug 72 and July 73 got the larger 'elephants feet' rear lights see here -  http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html  and here -  http://www.classicvolks.com/volkswagen-history.html

so i was wrong about the lights, here's my bay 

1465036277453.jpg

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

if they are originals never change for reps, that beetle in your post #51 has no grills in the engine cover so i would say its not a 72, checking on this link 1973 manufactured between Aug 72 and July 73 got the larger 'elephants feet' rear lights see here -  http://www.vw-resource.com/years.html  and here -  http://www.classicvolks.com/volkswagen-history.html

1465036277453.jpg

wow absolutely gorgeous - no other words really

well...  235,000 owned for 37 straight years by an 80 year old gentleman who just can't keep it.

strange thing.jpg

Yes, that's a aircon compressor. From there you have two black hoses going through the car to the front end, and under the dashboard you have the blower.

I previously had that thing on my '67 Beetle but I discarded it. From what I've read it's not a OEM mount. But useful if you like "blown fresh air"...

Now my '67 engine looks like this:

Copy of P1240208.JPG

Copy of P1240210.JPG

Minimalist and clear :tongue:

Edited by gobs
spelling

11 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Hmmm has 'Made in Germany' on them and here is another 1972 - looks same?  Khun Nui (who is the expert) tells me they are the 1972 originals because I asked him about maybe replace them and he was horrified  lol  

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes tail lights are the right ones if your Beetle was manufactured before Aug 1972.

It's a bit confusing sometimes because in these times european cars manufacturers introduced their later/new models from August the running year.

In your case, and at least in Europe, if the car were built in let's say Sept 1972 it would be a '73 model. And yes '73 models have the big tail lights.

But even more confusing is in the '70s VW introduced a lot of "special series" to try to speed up Beetle sales when already planning to shut down the production lines. Depending on the different markets many Beetle series went with different engine displacements and mixed accessories, clothes, colours, decals and parts, but usually it was for cosmetic purposes only though.

On the pic above, no louvers on the engine hood may mean this Beetle is a 1200 or 1500. Again depending on the market...

BTW by what you say I'ld like to meet Khun Nui...

:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, steve187 said:

1465036277453.jpg

Wow! Nice bus, Steve! Would you agree to join the "Club"? :tongue:

I owned 3 of those when living in Europe (not at the same time, hey!). They are a joy to drive and cruise with. Sitting above the front wheels when driving is a bit odd at first: one tends to stop far from the front end and to cut the corners :w00t:

But once accustomed the VW bus is surprisingly swift and nimble in traffic. And very comfortable as well...

Nice piece for sure...

On 25/01/2017 at 0:51 AM, LannaGuy said:

thanks - the 1972 has always been a 1.6L engine although called 1300:

Engine Type : O4 1585 cc | 96.7 cu in. | 1.6 L.

On 25/01/2017 at 2:55 PM, gobs said:

in 1973 the 1300 had a 1300 engine (1285).

:)

15 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

strange thing.jpg

AC

9 hours ago, davethailand said:

in 1973 the 1300 had a 1300 engine (1285).

AC

looking at the inlet manifold looks like a twin port.

no club up north for me I am in Rayong Provience

Edited by steve187

11 hours ago, gobs said:

Yes, that's a aircon compressor. From there you have two black hoses going through the car to the front end, and under the dashboard you have the blower.

I previously had that thing on my '67 Beetle but I discarded it. From what I've read it's not a OEM mount. But useful if you like "blown fresh air"...

Now my '67 engine looks like this:

Copy of P1240208.JPG

Copy of P1240210.JPG

Minimalist and clear :tongue:

wow look at that!  :)   I did ask Mr Nui about an engine rebuild etc. but he insists he's maintained this car for years and years and it's 'good' so, as he has an obvious passion and looks an honest enough fellow, I should follow his advice.

the exhaust valves are known for breaking the head off and  smashing the piston and then the connecting rod etc ,

adjusting your valves , keeping the engine cool by  making sure it is not sucking hot air back thru the cooling fan helps ,

but the exhaust valves need to be replaced at 100-150,000 KM  plus replacing  the valve guides  and checking the valve seats ,

So keep the valves adjusted ,  oil topped up , good fanbelt ( and a spare one) ,  check that the fan has not sucked in any paper/ plastic bag, and bring an extra set of points........

They are good fun and get lots of smiles :)